Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ye they’re both terrific fellas.

if you get a chance see -

The Galahs. A Footy Journey.
a film about Harry Beitzel’s first VFL tour of Ireland.

Tony Wilson produced this gem of a movie. A brilliant, funny and emotional account of the first foray of footy legends into Ireland.

Thanks for that. Hadn’t heard of that doco, but turns out you can buy/rent it online: http://www.thegalahs.com/

Might be this afternoon’s viewing!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No one is going to have pride in a jumper that’s not theirs - “All Stars” ffs

some things never change - Vics against everyone else is such a dumb concept
All stars had a higher intensity for most of the first three quarters. Victoria only brought it late but the game should have been gone long before hand. It was good to watch players just go out and attack and try to use their skills in a way they are not permitted to at afl level.

No one is going to have pride in a jumper that’s not theirs - “All Stars” ffs

some things never change - Vics against everyone else is such a dumb concept
It is such a dumb concept
If you were handed a Vic jumper you’d be fairly proud.
To be handed an All Stars jumper wouldn’t mean a lot in comparison
It’s not your state jumper

why did we need a best on ground award/prize for a charity game?

what’s amusing is not having the goolies to put your name to the story

it’s the same as the Brownlow - commentary determine who the fancies are from the get go and the fixation begins

It is such a dumb concept
If you were handed a Vic jumper you’d be fairly proud.
To be handed an All Stars jumper wouldn’t mean a lot in comparison
It’s not your state jumper
State of origin didn’t mean a whole lot to the players by the time it was killed off. I think the only reason the big v was used was for marketing reasons. I don’t think the players even mentioned pride in the jumper or anything like that. They just enjoyed playing in a exhibition game.

So Taranto does his shoulder in a meaningless preseason game against the AFL Swines, and it was already heavily strapped when he went out there.

I used to think GWS were just unlucky with injuries. However this kind of thing happens way too often for it to just be bad luck. Both expansion clubs have been gifted so much talent they probably don't think twice about treating their players like cattle and forcing them to play under injury clouds.

State of origin didn’t mean a whole lot to the players by the time it was killed off. I think the only reason the big v was used was for marketing reasons. I don’t think the players even mentioned pride in the jumper or anything like that. They just enjoyed playing in a exhibition game.
I have absolutely no interest in SOO, none. Could not care for exhibition games either.

Didn’t watch last night, don’t even know the score. I wasn’t busy, in fact I sat at my kitchen table talking to my wife.

The sooner the media stop talking SOO, the better.
I think it’s dead to be honest

I have absolutely no interest in SOO, none. Could not care for exhibition games either.

Didn’t watch last night, don’t even know the score. I wasn’t busy, in fact I sat at my kitchen table talking to my wife.

I was the same, although must admit I did watch it. Would’ve preferred to watch a pre season club game in all honesty though.
As has already been mentioned- I can’t stand the media attempting to ‘sell’ the SOO game to me as if it’s anything but low intensity training, I find it almost insulting the way media people talk and say nothing at all these days; trained to the nth degree in how to speak utter horse s**t to promote what the company is selling and at the same time to remain as unoffensive as possible. Luke Darcy for example could give classes in it. So boring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t even watched pre season

I’m concerned I no longer really give a fu**
Haha, I only watched last weeks game because wifey wasn’t talking to me & I got bored sitting at the kitchen table on my own

So Taranto does his shoulder in a meaningless preseason game against the AFL Swines, and it was already heavily strapped when he went out there.

I used to think GWS were just unlucky with injuries. However this kind of thing happens way too often for it to just be bad luck. Both expansion clubs have been gifted so much talent they probably don't think twice about treating their players like cattle and forcing them to play under injury clouds.
Got a Future 4th Rounder handy? I think we just found ourselves a new midfielder to target!

That is ok. I’m sure it isn’t for everyone but the players seemed quite positive during and after about the experience. It wasn’t a physical game and defence was lacking but it did give the players a chance to show off their attacking skills.

Uncontested possessions galore.

As long has our blokes get through, that’s all I care about.

it’s a joke the amount of bravado that has carried on about this “state of origin” game and “what it means” when you can see the players all have self preservation in mind weeks out from the season.

SOO is dead. People need to let it go.
Porkins completely squibbed a marking contest which clearly showed the self preservation going on. Then again can hardly blame him. He could have injured the other player too.

Still enjoyed it but lacked the genuine intensity from what it used to be.

So R1 will be 3 votes to C.Judd and D.Martin for respective games before teams are even announced?
I can't be the only one who thinks Dustin Martin is in danger of becoming overrated.

Take away his 2017 season which is looking like one out of the box and he's a very, very good player but a rung below the likes of Sam Mitchell who never garnered anywhere near the same praise despite being instrumental in four Premierships. That Martin was BOG in neither of his Norm Smith winning GF's tells a story, if he wasn't covered in tatts with a ratbag father the media narrative around him would be far more subdued.

Great one-on-one player but his overall output frequently doesn't measure up to his superstar media status. I would draw a comparison with Rioli there, but Cyril at least was spectacular in ways no other AFL player has been. Take out Dusty's stiff-arm and his game is effective but fairly vanilla.

I can't be the only one who thinks Dustin Martin is in danger of becoming overrated.

Take away his 2017 season which is looking like one out of the box and he's a very, very good player but a rung below the likes of Sam Mitchell who never garnered anywhere near the same praise despite being instrumental in four Premierships. That Martin was BOG in neither of his Norm Smith winning GF's tells a story, if he wasn't covered in tatts with a ratbag father the media narrative around him would be far more subdued.

Great one-on-one player but his overall output frequently doesn't measure up to his superstar media status. I would draw a comparison with Rioli there, but Cyril at least was spectacular in ways no other AFL player has been. Take out Dusty's stiff-arm and his game is effective but fairly vanilla.
I feel bad for Dusty, in the same way I felt bad for Cyril. He's now copping heat (not from you A Cut Above but the footy public in general) as being "overrated" through no fault of his own outside of being a genuinely great player with numerous eye-catching features to his game. He doesn't vote for himself in the Brownlow, Norm Smith, or any other BoG medal he receives.

If there's any shade that needs to be thrown over this then it's squarely at those who are voting for him when he is clearly not the BoG in a given game. They're phoning it in because they're incapable or unwilling to watch the game with a critical eye.

It wasn't a SOO game. To call it such lessens the great SOO games between WA, SA & VIC.

Agreed. It was nearly embarrassing how little intensity there was.

Expect the AFL played the SOO card to show they are listening to the people and drum up more interest.

Half expected to see Jars stroll out in the last for the Allies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back