Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawson Simpson just announced his retirement after the season. Surely with Mumford on his last legs they'll need to add ruck depth. Cegs for Patton trade means no stuffing around with Coniglio compo.
Wow. Simpson was great mates with McEvoy, teammates at the Bushrangers and drafted in the same year. Couldn't have had more contrasting careers.

Dawson Simpson just announced his retirement after the season. Surely with Mumford on his last legs they'll need to add ruck depth. Cegs for Patton trade means no stuffing around with Coniglio compo.
I think Cegs is worth more to us than Patton is to them. Patton is a risk. If Bigboy goes down we are stuffed atm without Cegs as back up. Imo every side needs two capable rucks but cannot necessarily play 2 rucks at once. That is the conundrum.

I hope we keep Cegs. However, if he gets an opportunity to play first ruck I wish him all the best.

Had to have a laugh this evening, I switched onto Fox and they were reporting on the appointment of David Teague as Carlton coach. I don't know who the dingbat was doing the report but he named Carlton as a super-power of the AFL, and he went on to say Teague beat out potential applicants like Alastair Clarkson (and he named 4 others) for the job. Does he really think if they had a snowball's chance in hell of securing Clarko that they would have made such a hasty decision to appoint Teague? :)

Who was that moron?

I think Cegs is worth more to us than Patton is to them. Patton is a risk. If Bigboy goes down we are stuffed atm without Cegs as back up. Imo every side needs two capable rucks but cannot necessarily play 2 rucks at once. That is the conundrum.

I hope we keep Cegs. However, if he gets an opportunity to play first ruck I wish him all the best.

He's no where near as good but I reckon we'll go with Pitto as our backup option. He'll only ever be used if Big Boy is hurt or rested but Cegs IMO is one of the best rucks that doesn't have a starting gig. I don't rate him as a #1 ruck option at Hawthorn but I think another club might.

He's no where near as good but I reckon we'll go with Pitto as our backup option. He'll only ever be used if Big Boy is hurt or rested but Cegs IMO is one of the best rucks that doesn't have a starting gig. I don't rate him as a #1 ruck option at Hawthorn but I think another club might.
Well he beat Simpson and Mumford last week. As important as Cegs is for us as a backup, he'd be more important to GWS as a first ruck (ryder and goldstien are gettable though). Patton is not worth as much as Ceglar to either team.

I like how Jeff how prepared us for the carnage ....

"Clearly the football department has a lot of work to do over the next few weeks in making decisions about our list next year.

Whatever they decide can I remind all members we employ the best people in the competition. Because they are the best, the Board at times challenges their decisions but invariably accepts their recommendations. The coaches’ responsibility and that of your Board is to make the best decisions in the interest of the club and its members.

We do not and cannot operate on an emotional basis, but what is in the best interests of you - our members, our shareholders.
To that end we are bound to use our best endeavours and our best collective judgements to advance the story of this great club."

I like how Jeff how prepared us for the carnage ....

"Clearly the football department has a lot of work to do over the next few weeks in making decisions about our list next year.

Whatever they decide can I remind all members we employ the best people in the competition. Because they are the best, the Board at times challenges their decisions but invariably accepts their recommendations. The coaches’ responsibility and that of your Board is to make the best decisions in the interest of the club and its members.

We do not and cannot operate on an emotional basis, but what is in the best interests of you - our members, our shareholders.
To that end we are bound to use our best endeavours and our best collective judgements to advance the story of this great club."
Operating on an emotional basis? Jeff doesn't need to worry about that, he was utterly cold & emotionless when he privatized half the state back in the 80s. That said I'll always be grateful for the work he's done as president and have confidence that the club is in good hands while he remains in charge.

Operating on an emotional basis? Jeff doesn't need to worry about that, he was utterly cold & emotionless when he privatized half the state back in the 80s. That said I'll always be grateful for the work he's done as president and have confidence that the club is in good hands while he remains in charge.

On the other hand, he get emotional about tassie, for some reason

Just did a quick run through of coaching appointments in the last 10 years.

I reckon David Teague may be the least credentialed coaching appointment of all time. Hasn't played in a premiership, hasn't assistant coached in a premiership. Don't think he's coached a lower grade premier (got a runner up).

James Hird was more qualified given that he'd actually played in premierships.

Even Alan Richardson had seen more success.

It's actually quite an incredible appointment. If he succeeds it'll be out of sheer luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just did a quick run through of coaching appointments in the last 10 years.

I reckon David Teague may be the least credentialed coaching appointment of all time. Hasn't played in a premiership, hasn't assistant coached in a premiership. Don't think he's coached a lower grade premier (got a runner up).

James Hird was more qualified given that he'd actually played in premierships.

Even Alan Richardson had seen more success.

It's actually quite an incredible appointment. If he succeeds it'll be out of sheer luck.

The appointments the last month have been surprising to me. Both Shaw and Teague appointments seem rushed to me, without due diligence and without appearing to consider the full range of possible applicants that they might have accessed at year end. Appointing a new AFL coach in round 22 seems ridiculous.

Perhaps that was the outcome the clubs wanted from the moment they decided to part ways with the former coaches, and just want it endorsed before the trading period.

Funny thing is he got a contract whereas we were all told bolton on salary was the way of the future.

It says they pretty much used bolts to keep the seat warm, and the body language backs that up

The way they treated Bolts was disgusting. The final press conference was as poor as I have seen.

Bunch of complete arseholes at that club.

The appointments the last month have been surprising to me. Both Shaw and Teague appointments seem rushed to me, without due diligence and without appearing to consider the full range of possible applicants that they might have accessed at year end. Appointing a new AFL coach in round 22 seems ridiculous.

Perhaps that was the outcome the clubs wanted from the moment they decided to part ways with the former coaches, and just want it endorsed before the trading period.
I haven't felt this strongly about a bad appointment since Richo and James Hird.

This is a disaster move. Won't work out well at all. The hype is so big a lot of damage will be done before they all realise.

Ha.

Jeez, footy can be pretty dull when there's nothing at stake...Just looked up the definition for 'dead Rubber' and the Sydney and Melbourne team photos came up.
I think I'll go paint something so I have something to watch tonight!

Why should we care? let the minnow clubs wallow around in their own self-importance for a while and spend another few years being irrelevant.

You are correct that their poor governance is not an issue for us.

I'm just honestly surprised how weak their process has been in selecting their new senior coaches. Even St Kilda are waiting until years end to at least pretend to do a proper stock-take and analysis of their options before they appoint Ratten. In fact, North and Carlton are making St Kilda look positively judicious and sensible. Its a funny old world sometimes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back