Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salt.
Certificate for successfully finishing Hawks season?

No, we did that. It is a certificate for nothing successful at all. The absolute laughing stock of the afl. Every single thing about that disgraceful club is woefully inadequate. I've done the math, it checks out.

The last three games have been really enjoyable for different reasons. Now the pressure has eased on Smith, Breust and Gunston they are playing more like their old selves. Sam Mitchell, Hodgey and Lewis have been missed for their hardness, now the younger players are improving the load is more evenly spread. I hope we keep them.

Well, we paid the price for losing so many games we could've/should've won earlier in the season. That's what I hope to see next year, more consistent performances and closing out games we should win.

Back end of the season we've comfortably beaten Geelong, West Coast and GWS, had a close win against Collingwood and had 2 close losses to West Coast and Brisbane. Sending roughy off was great too.

Looking at the 1st week of the finals,

QF 1 Collingwood v Geelong @ MCG
Very interesting game. Both sides have stumbled towards the back end of the season after very strong starts. Both are very good at their best, but can be equally bad when they aren't on their games. My instinct says Geelong, as the experience of the Abletts/Selwoods/Hawkins/Duncans/Taylors along with their middle aged guns Kelly, Stewart, Blicavs, Dangerfield are a very classy outfit.

The pies have De Goey and Stephenson to come in, De Goey especially could be a massive in. Jamie Elliot's finding form heading into September too. I do have questions surrounding their tall forwards. If Reid doesn't get up and Cox is done for the season, they'll be relying on Roughead/Mihocek/Hoskin-Elliot as talls. Not sure if that's going to cut the cake against Blicavs, Stewart, Taylor, Kolodjashni, O'Connor.

I'd be tipping Geelong by 3 goals.

QF 2 Richmond v Brisbane @ Gabba
I think the lions are a good change to beat the Tiges at home. 60/40 chance odds Tiges way imo. The lions stumbled early, but fought back hard as usual. Definitely have some upside in their ball use, a lot more than the tigers do I feel. They'll take a lot out of that game the lions, and I would not be surprised to see them run through Richmond.

Tipping Richmond by 2 points.

EF 1 West Coast v Essendon @ Optus
Eagles have been smashed for the most part of their last 7 quarters. Richmond and now Hawthorn have completely stopped their ball movement and suffocated West Coast's gamestyle. On the other hand, there could be an argument that West Coast has been off their usual pace since their first quarter smashing of Richmond, and they can turn it around with more effort/better execution. Either way, doens't look great for the Eagles who come up against an explosive Essendon side. Mckernan's flying, and you just know Stringer/Tippa will have some moments of excellence.

Essendon's also stumbled at the end of the season, and have been a very inconsistent team for the back end of 2019. Run down and beaten by a better collingwood outfit, but with some huge names to bring in. What i'd say is Essendon is a good chance of winning this game, although they'll almost certainly fall in the SF/PF if they do win.

Tipping West Coast by 15 points.

EF 2 GWS vs Western Bulldogs @ GIANTS

The bulldogs are the second(behind Richmond) hottest team in the comp, off the back of 3 dominating wins against middle of the road opposition. Potentially the "hype" team of the finals. The giants who we all know for crumbling away from home, have a home final to their advantage. They also have the potential ins of Coniglio, Haynes, Delidio, Hopper. Second to essendon, most important ins/outs of the finals series. Jeremy Cameron's finished off a coleman year with 9 goals. Toby Greene's been on fire to finish the year. Huge ins.

Dunkley's rise to prominence in the same midfield as Macrae/Bont has taken the dogs to a seemingly new level. They've got 3 in-form and dominant inside midfielders, who are sure to bring a contest to any team's on-ball crew. Still by a very young team, with Bailey Dale being a surprising player to be hitting the scoreboard hard over the end of the year. Potentially the most interesting final of the lot, GWS have shown this year(along with many others) that their best is up there with anyones, but the young dogs are playing a hard-nosed contested brand of footy that is wearing teams down.

I'm tipping GWS by 12.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, we paid the price for losing so many games we could've/should've won earlier in the season. That's what I hope to see next year, more consistent performances and closing out games we should win.

Back end of the season we've comfortably beaten Geelong, West Coast and GWS, had a close win against Collingwood and had 2 close losses to West Coast and Brisbane. Sending roughy off was great too.

Looking at the 1st week of the finals,

QF 1 Collingwood v Geelong @ MCG
Very interesting game. Both sides have stumbled towards the back end of the season after very strong starts. Both are very good at their best, but can be equally bad when they aren't on their games. My instinct says Geelong, as the experience of the Abletts/Selwoods/Hawkins/Duncans/Taylors along with their middle aged guns Kelly, Stewart, Blicavs, Dangerfield are a very classy outfit.

The pies have De Goey and Stephenson to come in, De Goey especially could be a massive in. Jamie Elliot's finding form heading into September too. I do have questions surrounding their tall forwards. If Reid doesn't get up and Cox is done for the season, they'll be relying on Roughead/Mihocek/Hoskin-Elliot as talls. Not sure if that's going to cut the cake against Blicavs, Stewart, Taylor, Kolodjashni, O'Connor.

I'd be tipping Geelong by 3 goals.

QF 2 Richmond v Brisbane @ Gabba
I think the lions are a good change to beat the Tiges at home. 60/40 chance odds Tiges way imo. The lions stumbled early, but fought back hard as usual. Definitely have some upside in their ball use, a lot more than the tigers do I feel. They'll take a lot out of that game the lions, and I would not be surprised to see them run through Richmond.

Tipping Richmond by 2 points.

EF 1 West Coast v Essendon @ Optus
Eagles have been smashed for the most part of their last 7 quarters. Richmond and now Hawthorn have completely stopped their ball movement and suffocated West Coast's gamestyle. On the other hand, there could be an argument that West Coast has been off their usual pace since their first quarter smashing of Richmond, and they can turn it around with more effort/better execution. Either way, doens't look great for the Eagles who come up against an explosive Essendon side. Mckernan's flying, and you just know Stringer/Tippa will have some moments of excellence.

Essendon's also stumbled at the end of the season, and have been a very inconsistent team for the back end of 2019. Run down and beaten by a better collingwood outfit, but with some huge names to bring in. What i'd say is Essendon is a good chance of winning this game, although they'll almost certainly fall in the SF/PF if they do win.

Tipping West Coast by 15 points.

EF 2 GWS vs Western Bulldogs @ GIANTS

The bulldogs are the second(behind Richmond) hottest team in the comp, off the back of 3 dominating wins against middle of the road opposition. Potentially the "hype" team of the finals. The giants who we all know for crumbling away from home, have a home final to their advantage. They also have the potential ins of Coniglio, Haynes, Delidio, Hopper. Second to essendon, most important ins/outs of the finals series. Jeremy Cameron's finished off a coleman year with 9 goals. Toby Greene's been on fire to finish the year. Huge ins.

Dunkley's rise to prominence in the same midfield as Macrae/Bont has taken the dogs to a seemingly new level. They've got 3 in-form and dominant inside midfielders, who are sure to bring a contest to any team's on-ball crew. Still by a very young team, with Bailey Dale being a surprising player to be hitting the scoreboard hard over the end of the year. Potentially the most interesting final of the lot, GWS have shown this year(along with many others) that their best is up there with anyones, but the young dogs are playing a hard-nosed contested brand of footy that is wearing teams down.

I'm tipping GWS by 12.
You meant to write West Coast by 150 right?

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

9th is the position of false hope, we cannot be satisfied or carried away by the strong finish
We won half our games, we finished the year 6-2, before that we were 5-9
If the last two months are what we take moving forward then it's not false hope.

We have to see what happens with our list this off season and hope we have a better run with injuries next year but I don't see 9th giving Clarko and Wright false hope about where we are at, you just have to listen to Clarko's press conference to know he's not satisfied with 9th

The front on contact rule is the most ridiculous and soft rule there is.

If you're playing behind, you literally have to shove a player with both hands full force and have them fall over for it to be a free. You can grab them, maul them, push them and unless you send them flying you'll probably get away with it.

However, come from the other direction, show some courage going with the flight, stick your arms up and then lightly brush/touch your opponent in ANY WAY, SHAPE or FORM and it's an auto free kick.

Absolute bulls**t.

Footy is based around these rules:
- You can only get rid of it by kicking or handballing
- If tackled before doing these, free kick against
- Don't make contact too high
- Don't make contact too low
- Don't push in the back
- A mark gives you a free kick.

They're the basics. Anything beyond that is technical bulls**t that doesn't help the game. Blocking? Studs up? Sliding in? Ruck infringements - all that crap is just technical bulls**t, but "front on contact" is outrageous. I can't believe how easily the footy public has just absorbed that as an okay rule. It's the worst rule there is. High fend off a close second.
I’ve thought this for a while. I hate the rule.
The afl waffle on about protecting players yet this rule is the opposite. The guy running back with the flight can get poleaxed legally without seeing it but lay a finger on the guy that can see it all unfolding and he gets a free
Ridiculous

Ruffled a few feathers this comment has. Not happy over Adelaide way
Not sure whats in the water at Adelaide. But the crows are a very strange club, I see them as quite cultish. Once you leave the club, you're dead to them. Look at the way they see Gunston - a traitor for leaving even though he played a measly 14 games for them. Weird culture they have going on.

Essendon may be head*ed but no group of supporters are more insecure than cats supporters when it comes to the hawks.

The number of posts around the site commenting on our missing the 8 is amusing to say the least. Insecure *ers - the relief is palpable

Aussie Cricket is in desperate need of Clarko - or anyone with a tactical brain.

We only need 1 wicket with 40 runs to go, but we’re getting further from a win with every ball we bowl.

Lack tactical nous & mentally weak. Fancifully think that poorly bowled balls at pace will get the job done. It lost us the World Cup & it appears it’ll cost us the Ashes.

Garbage - everywhere. Terrible coaching & captaincy.

Last edited:
Aussie Cricket is in desperate need of Clarko - or anyone with a tactical brain.

We only need 1 wicket with 40 runs to go, but we’re getting further from a win with every ball we bowl.

Lack tactical house & mentally weak. Fancilfully think that poorly bowled balls at pace will get the job done. It lost us the World Cup & it appears it’ll cost us the Ashes.

Been hard to watch Brant! Wasted review and Lyon just missed that run out!

Wow, could have done with that review now!

Lack tactical house & mentally weak. Fancilfully think that poorly bowled balls at pace will get the job done. It lost us the World Cup & it appears it’ll cost us the Ashes.

Was a train wreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back