Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was and Chip LeGrand is a ******* campaigner for writing what he did.

To bring some levity back to proceedings - can I just say that I refuse to believe he was born with the name Chip LeGrand.

I’m all for talking about suicide in an open and honest manner. My own nephew hung himself and I’m part of a community where suicide is a regular occurrence, so I’m very aware of the impact that it has on families. There’s a time for it though and five minutes after the event is not it.

To comment before any confirmed details have become available and the language that was used was just tacky and that’s what Kennett did.

Stick the boot in, * me

As for the comment that families wouldn’t be trolling the internet, my post was in relation to the article in the Age by Chip Le Grand - that was totally unnecessary. He committed suicide why do we need to speculate any further as to the why’s behind it.

Yesterday was a time for shock, grief and coming to terms with the death of a loved Danny Frawley - that was all imo others of course have theirs

IMO its never too early to talk about it.
There’s talking about it and then there is implying the reason for it being the break down of a marriage.

What LeGrand wrote was shithouse.

In a time when Spuds wife and girls are coming to terms with losing their husband and father, this piece of s**t has thrown the status of their relationships into question to the wider public at a time when they are hurting the most. I’d deck that campaigner if I was a member of the Frawley family and saw him in the street.

There’s talking about it and then there is implying the reason for it being the break down of a marriage.

What LeGrand wrote was s**thouse.

In a time when Spuds wife and girls are coming to terms with losing their husband and father, this piece of s**t has thrown the status of their relationships into question to the wider public at a time when they are hurting the most. I’d deck that campaigner if I was a member of the Frawley family and saw him in the street.
I agree that I didn't like it, but with all due respect, the media write about anyone who is a public figure in those terms. There were a million articles written about Epstein's personal issues within minutes of his death a few weeks ago. It's just a fact of life. Just because Frawley is a loveable figure to a particular community doesn't exempt him from the same professional standards in media that apply to anyone, and have for many many years. Legrand was just doing his job, and anything less is incompetency as far as their employer is concerned.

Feb 11, 2004
I'm Liv'n in the 70's
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill , BulleenTemp.
To bring some levity back into the thread it appears that Gary Rohan will miss for the Cats due to injury :rolleyes:

Would have nothing to do with the fact that he couldn't get a kick last week.

Hong Kong Hawk

All Australian
Aug 1, 2015
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Brom
To bring some levity back into the thread it appears that Gary Rohan will miss for the Cats due to injury :rolleyes:

Would have nothing to do with the fact that he couldn't get a kick last week.
Last week is a terribly limited sample space when you’re talking about Rohan, particularly in finals.

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
Spare a thought for those who have to clean up the ******* mess.
Been there done that. Speaking personally if I didn't know the person then it almost has no impact on me. Have been a first responder at three fatal accidents once having to give first aid. Strangely the strongest recall or emotion I have of two them was not the death of those involved but the crap I had to go through explaining my actions to emergency professionals.
I'll save the details because I have digressed only to say that if people get bent out of shape with aspects of their job that they aren't comfortable with they should move on.

Been there done that. Speaking personally if I didn't know the person then it almost has no impact on me. Have been a first responder at three fatal accidents once having to give first aid. Strangely the strongest recall or emotion I have of two them was not the death of those involved but the crap I had to go through explaining my actions to emergency professionals.
I'll save the details because I have digressed only to say that if people get bent out of shape with aspects of their job that they aren't comfortable with they should move on.

I know a guy who did work on the 000 emergency line - once had to spend 90 minutes on the phone with distraught family members while they furiously tried to keep a toddler alive. Tragically it was to no avail. He had about 5 minutes to compose himself and recover and then just dove back into the next call.

Thank all the relevant religious beings for first responders and emergency workers - all of you made of much sterner stuff than I am.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
I know a guy who did work on the 000 emergency line - once had to spend 90 minutes on the phone with distraught family members while they furiously tried to keep a toddler alive. Tragically it was to no avail. He had about 5 minutes to compose himself and recover and then just dove back into the next call.

Thank all the relevant religious beings for first responders and emergency workers - all of you made of much sterner stuff than I am.
True.

Just want to clarify that I was acting as Joe Public.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
It was suicide unfortunately. I have been told that there were no traces of slowing down at the scene.

Absolute tragedy, RIP Spud.
I reluctantly share that I spoke to an old mate this morning (ex senior cop) who's been told forensics at the scene are indicating this was a deliberate action.
All of us, specifically people closest to him, are still hoping and preying it was just a tragic accident but unfortunately there does not appear to be much evidence at the scene to suggest it was, with such hopes now relying on the autopsy report...

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I don't think Jeff did anything wrong. The very first reports I saw/read/heard all had the phone numbers of Lifeline and so on so it was clear right away that Frawley had taken his own life. Jeff's comments were honest and heartfelt IMO.
There’s an article atm that states that Spud approached Jeff multiple times about his mental health. This obviously explains a lot of his twitter comments. Suicide or accident it’s terrible either way 😔

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Its understandable people should refrain from talking about it out of respect for Frawley's family, but I think his was a perfect example of someone who had all the outer hallmarks of being happy and content with life which masked a deadly inner turmoil, and from this we can perhaps learn to better recognize the warning signs in others and make them feel more comfortable asking for help.

How many of history's epidemics have been successfully treated by refusing to talk about them & pretending they don't exist? None I'm aware of.

I'll skip the gorey stuff regarding the responders and clean ups and say they do an amazing and often thankless job.
I know a man who worked as a scaffolder for over 15 years and was very experienced and competent. One day while making the climb up and nearly to the top of a high rise, he suddenly stopped and clung onto the rail. He was struck with fear of heights and was eventually coaxed down. He never did scaffolding again.
Sometimes getting bent out of shape can happen at the most unexpected time for anyone.
1 unnecessary death affects so many in ways most don't consider.

Canberra Raiders player Hudson Young tonight stood accused of the same charge as Toby Greene - using his hand around the face of the player. The player in question testified for Hudson Young and said he didn’t feel any eye gouging.

The NRL recommended a 10-12 week ban.

The AFL recommended a $7,500 fine.

If you think the AFL isn’t protecting GWS at all costs then you are genuinely deluded.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bringing difficult to talk about human heartbreak and struggle into general discussion is great...when at the discretion of those who WANT to talk about it. All those who have personal experience, or are invited to share opinion should be encouraged at their will to do so.
What I reckon is sycophantish is barreling in on someone elses pain and having a public analysis of it, unrequited, when you might be causing further grief.

Jeffrey could have simply said 'We hope and pray for the family right now, and if they could use ANY kind of assistance going forward the HFC and everyone we have access to would be there for them.'
You know, be nice, be helpful, but know your place and don't stick your dick in where no-one's asked for it.

But, if you guys love a tactless SOB as your president at so many other times, you'll get the same tiger stripes when they're least needed too.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Canberra Raiders player Hudson Young tonight stood accused of the same charge as Toby Greene - using his hand around the face of the player. The player in question testified for Hudson Young and said he didn’t feel any eye gouging.

The NRL recommended a 10-12 week ban.

The AFL recommended a $7,500 fine.

If you think the AFL isn’t protecting GWS at all costs then you are genuinely deluded.

"the head is sacrosanct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back