Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This ten minute half time break is like a opening statement in a negotiation. After all the outrage has died down we might end up at 15 and AFL would as if they listened to the feedback and adjusted.

Whilst likely to impact players, it will impact supporters worse, and that’s what pisses me off.
Imagine being at big games like Anzac Day, Easter monday, And just general big games like Carlton Richmond all those sort of games and trying to go to the toilet or get food or just do anything at half time within 10 minutes I mean I know there are smokers you like to go for a smoke these guys are gonna start missing out on parts the game, and it’s just bullshit

Going to the bar for a beer? Fuhggetaboutit.

Or take kids to the football.
I’ve got 6 kids
I take them to the footy
We all go to or try to go to the toilet before the game. Some go again after.
I’m neither here or there on a shorter break but I don’t find some of the arguments against being well thought out.

& Nosebleed, I do usually have a couple of beers so I understand that people need toilets but I go for the footy, not the beers.

I’ve got 6 kids
I take them to the footy
We all go to or try to go to the toilet before the game. Some go again after.
I’m neither here or there on a shorter break but I don’t find some of the arguments against being well thought out.

& Nosebleed, I do usually have a couple of beers so I understand that people need toilets but I go for the footy, not the beers.
And that's great. It's excellent that your children are well drilled & you have them in a routine.

But your callousness to the point is exactly how the AFL are treating this.

The concept of "it's your problem, not ours" irrespective of the lack of "well thought out arguments" is how this change is being pushed.

Honestly, most players would love a shorter half time break. You can do all the laps in the change rooms that you want, but coming out after 20 minutes rest to play a second half at full tilt is tough.

In saying that, 10 minutes is too short for supporters and the Auskick kids.
15 would be okay. Maybe even out the quarter and three quarter breaks to 6 minutes down from 7.

Yes, a corrupt AFL administration.
Power without oversight and accountability invites it, regardless of who sits on the AFL Commission or runs the league on their behalf.

What concerns me is the AFL's quest for absolute control over every aspect of the game and their efforts to diminish the power of clubs to make their own authority unchallengable. Just like political parties who long ago forgot their raison d'être and now exist purely to hold office, the AFL has lost its way.

Honestly, most players would love a shorter half time break. You can do all the laps in the change rooms that you want, but coming out after 20 minutes rest to play a second half at full tilt is tough.

15 would be okay. Maybe even out the quarter and three quarter breaks to 6 minutes down from 7.

You‘re suggesting the shorter break has some relevance to the players, or the supporters or the Auskick kids (when of course no one in officialdom cares anything about any of them).
This is all about television and scheduling and what’s more profitable for the broadcasters. That’s all that matters to the AFL.

If it goes through they will clearly need to have the Auskick prior to the game (or afterwards).

As a parent, this wouldn't be the worst thing- as it is here in Adelaide, when your little one plays (and you are a coach/volunteer):
a) You still report ages before the game.
b) You leave your seats near the start of the second quarter to go down and get changed (missing the whole 2nd quarter)
c) Play a whole 11 minutes or whatever it is
d) Rush back off the ground, they dont even line you up for the players return
e) Changed again, make it back to your seats around 20 minutes into the 3rd
f) Have either over excited kids for the rest of the game or over tired grumble bums

I fear the reduction of the half time break is the next step toward shorter quarters/games

Power without oversight and accountability invites it, regardless of who sits on the AFL Commission or runs the league on their behalf.

What concerns me is the AFL's quest for absolute control over every aspect of the game and their efforts to diminish the power of clubs to make their own authority unchallengable. Just like political parties who long ago forgot their raison d'être and now exist purely to hold office, the AFL has lost its way.

Look to the AFL's KPI bonuses it pays, to it's paid employees.
It is not for fairness and making things even.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10min half time......

These AFL big wigs haven't gone to the footy outside of a corporate box for too long. How the hell can you do all the half time stuff in that time? Beers, pies, toilets, kids, smoko.....

Ruining the game from within

CORNES NAMES THE 6 TEAMS THAT CAN AND CAN’T WIN THE 2020 FLAG

I don't think the douchebag is far off but I'd have it like this:

Can win the 2020 premiership:
Richmond
GWS Giants
West Coast
Collingwood
Brisbane

In the finals mix but cannot win the 2020 premiership:
Hawthorn
Geelong
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne
Essendon
Port Adelaide
Sydney
St Kilda

Can't win the 2020 premiership:
North Melbourne
Fremantle
Adelaide
Carlton
Gold Coast

Richmond
GWS Giants
West Coast
Collingwood
Brisbane

Hawthorn
Geelong
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne
Essendon
Port Adelaide
Sydney
St Kilda

North Melbourne
Fremantle
Adelaide
Carlton
Gold Coast

Richmond
GWS Giants
West Coast
Collingwood
Brisbane

Hawthorn
Geelong
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne
Essendon
Port Adelaide
Sydney
St Kilda

North Melbourne
Fremantle
Adelaide
Carlton
Gold Coast

I know a lot and can change in a year. But kicking skills will officially be at an all time low if the lions or dogs win the flag in 2020. And that is taking into account just how poor the level has been across the competition since 2016

Richmond
GWS Giants
West Coast
Collingwood
Brisbane

Hawthorn
Geelong
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne
Essendon
Port Adelaide
Sydney
St Kilda

North Melbourne
Fremantle
Adelaide
Carlton
Gold Coast

Dal santo isnt that far behind him. Dal thinks coaches need to simplify game plans because in the past his "teammates" had difficulty understanding

Yeah right Dal "teammates' weve all realised your brain aint much bigger than 'little Dal"

Do players really want a shorter break?

Not heard any of them come out and say that.

Expect fans like the break as is as it provides time to get something to eat etc.

Expect coaches like the break as it gives time to make game plan changes and assess injuries.

Expect players like the break as it provides time to reconnect, get re-strapped, refresh, massage, understand game changes, etc.

Expect the AFL wants the game to keep moving so they don't lose TV fans in the breaks, but surely longer breaks means more ads and hence ad revenue for all involved.

.... ???

Think its being pushed by clubs and the AFLPA many times to shorten the length of a game to 20 minutes total quarters without the extra time (extending it to 30), because of how taxing it is, but the AFL ruled that out very quickly.

So they weren't interested in player well fare as a reason. However when entertainment factor of it being too long at half time comes into suddenly something
can be done by the AFL? Hmmm.....

Expect the AFL wants the game to keep moving so they don't lose TV fans in the breaks, but surely longer breaks means more ads and hence ad revenue for all involved.

.... ???

I suspect the longer breaks are a big disadvantage to the TV stations (but am sure people with advertising connections would know). If the breaks are too long, people tend to walk away from the TV or change channels. Or else if they've recorded the game on delay, they'll just fast forward to the start of the 3rd quarter.
Personally, I'm always happy to surf away and catch 15 minutes of Seinfeld during the break.

I'd like to know whether the advertising rates are greater between goals doing the live coverage - as distinct from the dead time during the half time break. I would assume they are, but stand to be corrected.

I can't think of anything more boring that wasting half time seeing the likes of David King pretending to be knowledgeable for 15 minutes as he walks around a studio pointing to circles and arrows on a big screen cleverly telling us what we'd just been watching in the first half.

I suspect the longer breaks are a big disadvantage to the TV stations (but am sure people with advertising connections would know). If the breaks are too long, people tend to walk away from the TV or change channels. Or else if they've recorded the game on delay, they'll just fast forward to the start of the 3rd quarter.
Personally, I'm always happy to surf away and catch 15 minutes of Seinfeld during the break.

I'd like to know whether the advertising rates are greater between goals doing the live coverage - as distinct from the dead time during the half time break. I would assume they are, but stand to be corrected.

I can't think of anything more boring that wasting half time seeing the likes of David King pretending to be knowledgeable for 15 minutes as he walks around a studio pointing to circles and arrows on a big screen cleverly telling us what we'd just been watching in the first half.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. This'll be money driven somewhere. Wouldn't surprise me if the decay at half time was significant. People flick away and forget to come back. Especially during the Carlton on Friday night experiment. The break and shoite viewing within (Especially Hame and the kids) is a trigger to flick, and watching the rest of Shawshank for the 1000th time might be a better choice. Cut the time and remove the Hame, maybe the trigger disappears. As you says, advertising aficionados would know all this crap (or at least think they do) down to the second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back