Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The players are going at half rat power, but the commentators(Riewoldt and Hodge in particular) are trying to make out like they're playing for sheep stations.

Uncontested possessions galore.

As long has our blokes get through, that’s all I care about.

it’s a joke the amount of bravado that has carried on about this “state of origin” game and “what it means” when you can see the players all have self preservation in mind weeks out from the season.

SOO is dead. People need to let it go.

It’s more entertaining than that. The nba all stars is a hit and giggle event but it’s still entertaining.
First 3 quarters was just a half hearted exhibition match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was an exhibition match. That is exactly what it was. 39 goals scored in a match. It is literally what people wanted to see in this match.
You might want to tell the commentators and media who were pumping it up as something much more than that.

Loved the scripted responses from all the players and officials when asked if it was a good thing and wether it should return.

I would prefer AFLX

You might want to tell the commentators and media who were pumping it up as something much more than that.
It's their job though - I remember Gary Lyon saying that he was commentating some Sunday arvo snorefest that was over by quarter time, he and his team were that bored by three quarter time they were hanging s**t on the game, talking about golf, basketball and what was for dinner.

Called into Kerry Packer's office the next day he was told you do not damage or criticise the product under any circumstances, and you find an angle, any angle to try and make it entertaining.

Failure to do so would see your contract torn up.

So I feel for Hodgey & Roo - it's not as if they don't know it's horseshit, they just have to make it smell nice.

It's their job though - I remember Gary Lyon saying that he was commentating some Sunday arvo snorefest that was over by quarter time, he and his team were that bored by three quarter time they were hanging s**t on the game, talking about golf, basketball and what was for dinner.

Called into Kerry Packer's office the next day he was told you do not damage or criticise the product under any circumstances, and you find an angle, any angle to try and make it entertaining.

Failure to do so would see your contract torn up.

So I feel for Hodgey & Roo - it's not as if they don't know it's horseshit, they just have to make it smell nice.
Oh I know that’s part of the marketing of the game, but it was the pregame and the amount of hyperbole building into the game, not the bushfire cause, but about the SOO component and how we were going to get this great throwback to the halcyon days of the concept**, how much the players would be playing for the jumper, how hard they would be going and how huge a deal it was for the players to be involved.

No doubt it was an honor to put the jumper on, but that’s about where the comparisons with the “old days” ends. The concept and thought of players donning the state jumper and ruthlessly competing for the win is dead and gone.

**It probably doesn’t help that I listen to Triple M on the way to work each day.😏

Oh I know that’s part of the marketing of the game, but it was the pregame and the amount of hyperbole building into the game, not the bushfire cause, but about the SOO component and how we were going to get this great throwback to the halcyon days of the concept**, how much the players would be playing for the jumper, how hard they would be going and how huge a deal it was for the players to be involved.

No doubt it was an honor to put the jumper on, but that’s about where the comparisons with the “old days” ends. The concept and thought of players donning the state jumper and ruthlessly competing for the win is dead and gone.

**It probably doesn’t help that I listen to Triple M on the way to work each day.😏
Why would you listen to Triple M on the way to work Gold is where it's at.

Why would you listen to Triple M on the way to work Gold is where it's at.
It’s often a good listen for local news and affairs, when I’m not plugged in to Spotify.

No one is going to have pride in a jumper that’s not theirs - “All Stars” ffs

some things never change - Vics against everyone else is such a dumb concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back