Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be nice to get a look at AFL headquarters books - see how much those ambassador payments are, see what the bonus for Cogs was worth, what really went down at the bombers regarding player payments

it’s a bit rich of the afl to demand transparency and control of clubs when it needs to go borrow money to keep afloat

I read it yesterday but didn’t want to post anything and open up old wounds. We all know it was us but he’ll NEVER admit it publicly. It’s why in the interview that he was content with Carlton being mentioned who came with a big pile of cash. The only thing I feel foolish about in the whole Cogs saga is that I thought he’d be content taking less cash to come to us but he openly eludes to the fact that big $$$ didn’t hurt.

It will be karma the day that we play GWS in a grand final and Patton takes a mark after the siren with us down by 5 which he neatly slots between the big sticks. Jaeger and Scully then proceed to mob Patton as Cogs drops to his knees in disarray 😂
At the end of the day, he was a RESTRICTED Free Agent - he was welcome to his wants, but it wasn’t his choice.

I feel stupid for getting caught up in the maths of it all & knowing that GWS couldn’t both match our bid & stay within the Salary Cap. As if that somehow mattered...

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
At the end of the day, he was a RESTRICTED Free Agent - he was welcome to his wants, but it wasn’t his choice.

I feel stupid for getting caught up in the maths of it all & knowing that GWS couldn’t both match our bid & stay within the Salary Cap. As if that somehow mattered...

Yep agreed, however this time last year we all thought it was an even playing field. I could name many around here that feel just as stupid but it’s also important to remember that Cogs could’ve also just played out the last season of his deal and become an unrestricted free agent if his end desire was to leave which a lot of probably questioned afterwards. I don’t hate Cogs and I truely believe he wanted to come with the belief that there wasn’t enough $$$ to keep him at GWS. If that means others think I wear a tin foil hat then so be it but I like many others believe that the goal posts where shifted to squeeze him in as it was with Whitfield. I’m a big believer in karma so we’ll see how it all plays out and as sucky as it was missing out on Cogs you move on and get behind who we do have which IMO is pretty damn good.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would be nice to get a look at AFL headquarters books - see how much those ambassador payments are, see what the bonus for Cogs was worth, what really went down at the bombers regarding player payments

it’s a bit rich of the afl to demand transparency and control of clubs when it needs to go borrow money to keep afloat
The reason they'll never allow it. Will expose the corruption.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

‘I thought that. All the money spent running ‘social leadership’ departments which turned out to be bolted on bulldust

I dont mind us 'playing the game' and pushing GWS over contracts. The more it happens, the closer they get to the untenable position the syds did with Buddy. Keep prodding and pushing till it pops. Ive never really got on board the hyper-hype-trains to end up disappointed anyhow.

We trade pretty well with GWS, so even though weve missed the big fish, weve picked up some nice scraps along the way. Not at all convinved we are chasing mega stars anyway, but rather picking off the role players on the fringe, injured, out of favour etc.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I dont mind us 'playing the game' and pushing GWS over contracts. The more it happens, the closer they get to the untenable position the syds did with Buddy. Keep prodding and pushing till it pops. Ive never really got on board the hyper-hype-trains to end up disappointed anyhow.

We trade pretty well with GWS, so even though weve missed the big fish, weve picked up some nice scraps along the way. Not at all convinved we are chasing mega stars anyway, but rather picking off the role players on the fringe, injured, out of favour etc.
Spot on. If the cap comes down next year, as expected, they're screwed. 5 blokes on $1m a year each is untenable in this climate. 2nd tier players will have to spit out.

Jul 3, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I'd hardly call Patton and Scully scraps.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

Spot on. If the cap comes down next year, as expected, they're screwed. 5 blokes on $1m a year each is untenable in this climate. 2nd tier players will have to spit out.
There's no chance the AFL lets GWS fall victim to any of these. The changes would be crafted in such a way that it doesn't hurt them. Reducing the cap by 30%? Exempt 30% of player payments from cap for the life of existing deals (particularly beneficial considering all those long term deals). Caps tight and another big star is coming out of contract? Approve any amount of ambassadorial and 3rd party sponsorship deals as out of cap payments.

Sydney have only recently started to get hurt because they're no longer the AFL's favourite child, and they made the mistake of crossing them by stealing Buddy from the otherwise landing at GWS.

I'd hardly call Patton and Scully scraps.

Maybe not "scraps", but they were certainly surplus to requirements.

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Interesting to see if the AFL similarly step in to help GWS match Geelong's bid for Jeremy Cameron. With SHocking running the show I suspect not.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Didn't know where to post. Listening to Patty Mccartin on SEN now. Needs to pass one more test then he's ready to train and act as usual. Would you think it's worth the gamble? Could be quite bloody handy.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Didn't know where to post. Listening to Patty Mccartin on SEN now. Needs to pass one more test then he's ready to train and act as usual. Would you think it's worth the gamble? Could be quite bloody handy.
I know the Saints delisted him but you’d think if / when he was ever to return that he’d be giving the Saints the first chance to sign him. You never want to see any young guy have his career cut down like his has especially so early on and would hope for his sake that he’s making a return because he’s 100% ready and not just in need of $$$. He’s had so many concussions that CTE is always going to be a huge risk for him. As always you hope the guy does well but not against us.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

Bit lost, why would the cap come down next year? That would kill the Giants and Suns.

Jul 3, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bit lost, why would the cap come down next year? That would kill the Giants and Suns.
Wouldn't the cap come down a % and all players get an equal % cut in line with that? It's actually probably more likely that the players on a big wage will get a higher percentage cut, so it may actually be beneficial.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know the Saints delisted him but you’d think if / when he was ever to return that he’d be giving the Saints the first chance to sign him. You never want to see any young guy have his career cut down like his has especially so early on and would hope for his sake that he’s making a return because he’s 100% ready and not just in need of $$$. He’s had so many concussions that CTE is always going to be a huge risk for him. As always you hope the guy does well but not against us.

Yeah, well I know he's even been over to the states to see various doctors and all that to try and sort everything out. He was doing running programs etc to get up to a required level and if everything was normal would have been cleared for contact around about now he thinks. He said in the interview he'll take any opportunity he can get but obviously loves the Saints.

Shot of Jaeger

Bleed Brown & Gold
Apr 27, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I listened to McCartin on the Rush Hour a couple of weeks ago, seemed non committal about returning to the Saints to me. Who knows, but i wouldn't be surprised if the Cats nabbed him for nothing.

May 28, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Swerve.

Wish him the best with life but think his days as a footballer are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back