No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% agree. I took my now 8 year old to his first game when he was 4 and he didn't even last the 1st qtr. Spent the rest of the game juggling trying to watch the game and keeping him entertained.

Games are just too long for kids and their incredibly short attention span.

This is why crotchety adults who whinge about the quarter time/half time antics on the big screens or on the field need a bit of perspective, it’s not for you it’s for the thousands of kids at the game.

I rekon your 6yr old will enjoy it. The other 2 will get bored and want to go home at Qtr time lol. Taking my 4 yr old to his first game this year but I'm going to get him used to watching it at a local level first so he has some idea what to expect.
I started my kids as babies. By the time they were two they already had perspective on how long the game went.

Downside was I lost a lot of time at games walking, feeding, entertaining but now I have two kids who love going to the footy and they wear their Hawks gear all year round and they are late teenagers.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I started my kids as babies. By the time they were two they already had perspective on how long the game went.

Downside was I lost a lot of time at games walking, feeding, entertaining but now I have two kids who love going to the footy and they wear their Hawks gear all year round and they are late teenagers.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will hopefully be asking you for tips in due course! My dad never forced the footy upon me but I fostered an interest when I was about 5 and went to my first game in 89 (league not Aussie rules mind you) and remember loving it from then on. Hoping with me being far more encouraging of enjoying the footy together that he'll take to it pretty quickly. He's already got his first mini Hawks Sherrin waiting for him - and thankfully there is no family influence to be anything but Hawthorn. I won't force the Raiders upon him though - that would just be very cruel.

My little one is 2 in Feb, thinking about taking him to a game next year. Though, he's already starting to hit the Terrible Twos stage, so I'm not sure how he'll go. Particularly the last week or two, he's been a s**t. He was good walking around the zoo yesterday, but cracked it when we stopped for the bird show.

My little one is 2 in Feb, thinking about taking him to a game next year. Though, he's already starting to hit the Terrible Twos stage, so I'm not sure how he'll go. Particularly the last week or two, he's been a sh*t. He was good walking around the zoo yesterday, but cracked it when we stopped for the bird show.

Might not bode well for a Hawks v Eagles/Crows/Pies/Swans game

Well worth playing the long game with the kids. Just got to make sure you bring some toys they like to play with when they lose interest. But similar to you have a couple of teens who come along now. One likes to talk tactics and the other is just insanely passionate.

Lock Pies in for the spoon if Pendlebury doesn’t get a preseason and DeGoey gets punted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back