No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad news about Frank Costa - every club needs one of these guys at the helm.

We’ve been lucky to have a couple and like us he played an integral part in making them the powerhouse they are today. They bleed for the club and many clubs wouldn’t exist without guys like Frank.
Brian Cook mentioned today that one stage he was involved in 36 different charities and organizations.
Footy aside what an amazing contribution to society he made .

You can see the moment Gerard’s heart broke.

I wonder if he has done the same analysis of other games this season where the cats have just fallen over the line, more specifically the game against the lions

he’s such a twat

I wonder if he has done the same analysis of other games this season where the cats have just fallen over the line, more specifically the game against the lions

he’s such a twat
To be fair, he did mention the lions game in his whine, with a half hearted footy justice/karma comment...

Maybe Brisbane will give them a run this year. No one is unbeatable. Geelong was no contender last year. Home ground advantage just gives them a leg up year in year out!

How did Geelong make the GF then last year ? After only playing 2 games at home all season ? How did they win a SF and PF by a combined 100 points ? Given neither was at KP.

Also that Brisbane team you mentioned Geelong destroyed them at the Gabba in a Prelim final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only just recently turned 25 and is currently a top 10 player in the competetion.
That's one way to look at it. Another is:

Only just recently became a top 10 player in the competition and is currently 25.

His current form is still relatively new and they're effectively banking on him being worth it until he's well over 30. Even if he does have the motivation to maintain these performances there's no guarantee his body will last given the way he plays is so physically demanding. Huge risk.

Only just recently became a top 10 player in the competition and is currently 25.

His current form is still relatively new and they're effectively banking on him being worth it until he's well over 30. Even if he does have the motivation to maintain these performances there's no guarantee his body will last given the way he plays is so physically demanding. Huge risk.

Been a top 10 player over a season and a half sample size nearly now so I'd have the faith if I was them. Only played just over 100 games so far in his career, so not like he has had a huge amount of wear and tear on the body. Yeah the last couple of years on the contract will proabably be overs, but the Dees will be hopeful the damage will be done before then.

Yep, be interesting to watch how it plays out. Good on Petracca & manager for locking up a career contract

There is always risk with any contract .

They have him and a few others in their peak and as a team might be a sweet spot for a few years to contend and land a flag.

Its another wait until the contracts done to see if it was the right move .

There is always risk with any contract .

They have him and a few others in their peak and as a team might be a sweet spot for a few years to contend and land a flag.

Its another wait until the contracts done to see if it was the right move .
Of course, but there's exponentially more risk with such a long contract.

I'm not saying Petracca isn't worth a big deal, he is. But I don't think he, or any player is worth the risk of 8 years.

We could have given Burgoyne an 8 year contract when we brought him across and you could look back at it and say "yeah 110% worth it!" but that doesn't change the fact that at the time it would've been a huge risk and a bad list management decision to lock in a player on such a long term deal when they've got a serious knee injury in their history.

If it works out for them then great, but it will be because they were lucky, not smart. The only parties that are guaranteed a good outcome from these kind of player deals are players and their agents.

I'm not a fan of that any contract extension length over 2 years- that could just be being used to how Hawthorn does it but I don't think it makes sense to. The meta changes slightly every 3-4 years and dramatically every 5-6 I'd say. Given his current form I can see why they'd sign him up for so long but I can definitely see this being the kind of deal that causes mad headaches before long.

Good luck to him but I think it’s the sort of deal that benefits the player and his manager but it wouldn’t endear itself to other players at the club - only so many you can pop on to long term contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back