No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuinely disgusting. To open a presser where an independent report commissioned by the board finds the club guilty of structural racism by saying that it's a proud and historic day for the club is disgraceful. To try and claim the moral high ground here just shows how utterly spineless Maguire is. But then to go on to challenge the findings and say we're not a racist club, we just didn't have the systems in place to deal with these problems. It was normalized within the club and when it was challenged there were no meaningful changes made. That's literally the definition of structural racism.

The club needs a total reset and Maguire's assistance to see out this year shows that he's headstrong and no longer cares about the club, just his own image.

Very true actually. The King-Kong comment, the Caro drowning joke, numerous stunts on the Footy Show that were off target, and then culminating in yesterdays "this is a great day for Collingwood". Probably others along the journey that I have forgotten. When I think about it, that is not the CV of a savvy media performer. Its completely the opposite.

There was also the 'land of the falafel' jibe about Western Sydney. All class.

There was also the 'land of the falafel' jibe about Western Sydney. All class.
And then when it suits him, opening the press conference by acknowledging the traditional owners of the land. Screams virtue signalling.

VFL announcement is interesting, does the name VFL mean anything?

Original VFA clubs: 6 plus 3 'alligned' 2 name changes Casey and Northern

Original VFL clubs: 9 plus 3 'alligned mentioned above) 2 name changes Brisbane and Sydney

New clubs: 4: Aspley Southport Gold Coast and Giants

VFL announcement is interesting, does the name VFL mean anything?

Original VFA clubs: 6 plus 3 'alligned' 2 name changes Casey and Northern

Original VFL clubs: 9 plus 3 'alligned mentioned above) 2 name changes Brisbane and Sydney

New clubs: 4: Aspley Southport Gold Coast and Giants

Very odd they're still calling it the VFL. I am glad it means a continued existence and potentially more financial stability (I hope) for long-standing suburban clubs - however I never like the idea of a competition where each team doesn't play each club at least once.

Very odd they're still calling it the VFL. I am glad it means a continued existence and potentially more financial stability (I hope) for long-standing suburban clubs - however I never like the idea of a competition where each team doesn't play each club at least once.

Do we imagine that the VFL (as we know it) will naturally resume in the near future?

I think it will.

As someone who has worked in finance most of my adult life and who despises the sales culture and works against it - I watched most of the commission and have read the report and you couldn’t be more incorrect.
And as someone who works directly in the finance field for the past 20 years and was impacted by the morons report I can tell you you couldn't be more wrong. And I despise the sales culture as well - the banks are the main propagators of this and all they got was a slap on the wrist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy was a superstar at Hawthorn. It pissed me off when commentators
would say he was at his best for the Swans. Biased clowns!

Yep, I felt the same. There is no way known Buddy had a season anywhere near as good as 2008. I guess the press was very pro-Sydney at the time and needed to justify the 9 year deal. He did play some great footy for the Swans, but nowhere near 2008.

Huh?!!
Anyhow - I know some folks in the finance industry who'd disagree with you too but carry on.
Thanks for your permission to carry on because I don't know what I would have done without it.

And I know a hell of a lot of people in the finance industry that would disagree with all your mates - but I really shouldn't argue with your magnificent argument of "because my mates told me". Stellar argument - should have said that in the first palace, cause that's got me convinced! (Orange Font required).

Thanks for your permission to carry on because I don't know what I would have done without it.

And I know a hell of a lot of people in the finance industry that would disagree with all your mates - but I really shouldn't argue with your magnificent argument of "because my mates told me". Stellar argument - should have said that in the first palace, cause that's got me convinced! (Orange Font required).

Let’s talk about stellar arguments. Your argument is that Justice Hayne is a ‘goose’ - he’s actually a highly regarded, experienced and credentialed jurist whose job wasn’t to know every minutiae of the finance industry but weigh up evidence and testimony presented to him.

Your critique of the royal commission is that ‘banks charged dead people’ and ‘no banker went to jail’. If you truly worked in finance as you so claim - you’d know that a cabal of banking executives didn’t sit around and conspire about charging dead people while sipping brandy and laughing maniacally. Systems were in place that were far from perfect. Executives can’t be across every tiny bit of the business - that’s why you have risk and compliance. Those areas failed miserably - that doesn’t mean executives should be doing prison time.

Dead clients were charged ongoing advice fees - yes. Was this wrong - yes. Was this due to shitty processes as opposed to some maniacal plot - yes. Fees charged for financial advice has been a problem for decades - this is now being overhauled beyond belief. Grandfathered commissions - gone. Fees for no service - gone. Advisers sending you a newsletter and claiming that’s justification for thousands in fees - gone. Some are still doing the wrong thing - some are still gouging - but the gravy train of easy money in financial advice is grinding to a halt. Don’t believe me - numerous financial advisers have killed themselves because their revenue streams have dried up. If you don’t think the changes are drastic enough then you’re honestly not looking hard enough. The banks are basically out of financial planning now because it’s not easy money.

The industry is still wretched and profit-motivated - welcome to capitalism. But the changes have made it a lot better than what it was 5 years ago. If you honestly thought that Ken Hayne could single-handedly make the industry some utopian benevolent force for good and jail all wrongdoers then I’d suggest you’re the goose - not he.

Ned Ryerson are you a brandy sipping Banking Executive?

I ask because I like sipping Brandy and having friends who have more money than me

Ned Ryerson are you a brandy sipping Banking Executive?

I ask because I like sipping Brandy and having friends who have more money than me

Sadly not, just your run of the mill vermouth sipping risk and compliance drone. I do wear a monocle however.

Do we imagine that the VFL (as we know it) will naturally resume in the near future?

I think it will.
Nope.
The AFL tried to take over the VFL 10-15 years ago to massive pushback.
Instead they took over football Victoria and chipped away bit by bit.
This is the 2nd tier AFL wanted back then, and eventually will be a east/west system

Nope.
The AFL tried to take over the VFL 10-15 years ago to massive pushback.
Instead they took over football Victoria and chipped away bit by bit.
This is the 2nd tier AFL wanted back then, and eventually will be a east/west system

Do you think the SANFL and WAFL can repel the AFL on that? I’d have thought those state leagues would be resistant to being folded up in this.

Sadly not, just your run of the mill vermouth sipping risk and compliance drone. I do wear a monocle however.
Geez Ned I sure hope you are not the human embodiment of your sipper of choice, you know cloying and even in small doses a risk to take over everything you come in contact with.

Geez Ned I sure hope you are not the human embodiment of your sipper of choice, you know cloying and even in small doses a risk to take over everything you come in contact with.

You’re drinking the wrong vermouth I’d suggest! I am sentimental though - you’d have to be to have stuck with the Raiders as long as I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back