No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragz

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The return on the tas governments investment in hawthorn is due to increased tourism through football. Hawthorn gives tassie national exposure plus direct football related travellers. The question is, would a tassie team provide that same benefit to the state? Would sponsors get on board? Would locals actually support a tassie team or would they stay with their existing AFL clubs?

Most local football supporters would indeed support a Tasmanian club - but as their second club. There'd not be many that would drop their own team to support a Tassie side, but a lot, if they could afford it, would buy some level of membership in order to go watch more AFL footy.

Both clubs are solvent and have strong net equity positions. Any talk of moving Melbourne clubs is quite frankly bullshit. We didn't cop it when Oakley tried it on us in 1996 and no other established Melbourne club should have to either. I like making fun of St Kilda and Norf as much as the next person - but I would never wish the pain of relocation on their fans here

The Suns and Giants will never have large support in their current markets and haven't got a drop in the ocean of history compared to Melbourne clubs. If there is any talk of relocation it can be one of those plastic franchises.

I have old relo's that were rusted on Roy supporters!!!! They never followed footy after Fitzroy demise!!! So I would prefer Saints and North survive as they are. But I suspect that the AFL consider, that it can not sustain as many Victorian clubs. It would take a cold day in you know were for them to admit the giants and suns are not viable in their current locations.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
If Tassie does have a team, but how do you think they should go about it? Start from scratch a la GWS and GC, or re-locate a Vic side? If it is the latter, Hawks are squarely in the frame. Norf is logical choice as they struggle to survive in Melbourne anyway. Heaven forbid, we go through another GC exercise.
I suspect if Hawthorn relocates, membership would immediately drop to about 10K, if that.
Send Melbourne, they've done FA since 1964.
They might even be able to increase their membership! ;)

Last edited:
If Tassie does have a team, but how do you think they should go about it? Start from scratch a la GWS and GC, or re-locate a Vic side? If it is the latter, Hawks are squarely in the frame. Norf is logical choice as they struggle to survive in Melbourne anyway. Heaven forbid, we go through another GC exercise.
I suspect if Hawthorn relocates, membership would immediately drop to about 10K, if that.
I can’t fathom why you would think this.

F24DCA44-8F4F-456F-AEDB-4CCEB35CF1BE.jpeg

The Chip Frawley to the saints is looking inspired now they have an unfortunate injury
Paton isn't exactly a like for like with chip. Hes a small defender

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Being reported that Ben Paton had his leg broken in a Jarryd Roughead tackle at training. Not surprised that the old man can still hit hard, hope Paton hads a speedy recovery!

Being reported that Ben Paton had his leg broken in a Jarryd Roughead tackle at training. Not surprised that the old man can still hit hard, hope Paton hads a speedy recovery!
Bet Roughy fees like a million bucks if thats the case.

Inside job.

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
Fake news.
No way a ranga is outside in this heat!

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Feel terrible for Roughie, steps in to help out and potentially jeopardizes a young player's career. He'llbe carrying guilt because he's such a great bloke.

Hope Ratts and the team support him as much as Paton (like TOB? with Mitchell).
Definitely think Hannebery would’ve had sympathy pains for Paton after getting cleaned up by Roughie. Roughie got him multiple times over the years.

Feel terrible for Roughie, steps in to help out and potentially jeopardizes a young player's career. He'llbe carrying guilt because he's such a great bloke.

Hope Ratts and the team support him as much as Paton (like TOB? with Mitchell).

Felt for him watching the footage yesterday too. Was in no way his fault - just a freak thing to happen like Mitchell in 2019, but you'd imagine poor Rough would be feeling the guilt.

It’s horrible.
AFLPA really need to be all over this and educating all current and former players to look out for the signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back