No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pick itself isn't the problem his dumb logic is though

'I think the Crows are going to get significantly better'

Based on what? They have literally added Hately and a DFA plus some kids from the Draft Whilst losing Brad Crouch and some depth. Where is the drastic improvment coming from?

'North aren't winning the spoon'

Why? They were worse than us last year and lost Ben Brown and Shaun Higgins (plus some other depth players)

Is Stepho Corr and some draftees really ensuring they don't win it?

It will probably come down to which of the bottom 6 or so teams has the worst run of luck with injuries. I just can't follow his logic.
Good points.
I think there are three main posters in the Hawks forum that think like D. King. No in-depth analysis of hawks list and always dishing out dis-likes (disguised as opinions) for Clarko and his strategy. The same sort of hate that led to D. King tipping Swans in 2014 GF to win by 10 goals!

The pick itself isn't the problem his dumb logic is though

'I think the Crows are going to get significantly better'

Based on what? They have literally added Hately and a DFA plus some kids from the Draft Whilst losing Brad Crouch and some depth. Where is the drastic improvment coming from?

'North aren't winning the spoon'

Why? They were worse than us last year and lost Ben Brown and Shaun Higgins (plus some other depth players)

Is Stepho Corr and some draftees really ensuring they don't win it?

It will probably come down to which of the bottom 6 or so teams has the worst run of luck with injuries. I just can't follow his logic.

Yeah he's talking out of his arse

Good points.
I think there are three main posters in the Hawks forum that think like D. King. No in-depth analysis of hawks list and always dishing out dis-likes (disguised as opinions) for Clarko and his strategy. The same sort of hate that led to D. King tipping Swans in 2014 GF to win by 10 goals!

Sydney by 68, the GOAT call

Let's not undersell other teams too much. North have one of the deepest midfields in the comp after adding Powell and Phillips through the draft. Cunnington, Anderson, Simpkin, LDU and Dumont would walk into any midfield in the competition. Their biggest issue has been their bottom 6 which would struggle to get a game at any other club in the competition. They were murdered today because Simpkin was the only one of those aforementioned midfielders that actually played.

To be realistic, if North have a clean bill of heath for an entire season and we struggle to or can't get Mitchell, Wingard, Gunston and Sicily on the park at the same time, then I absolutely wouldn't be surprised to see us finish below them.

Let's not undersell other teams too much. North have one of the deepest midfields in the comp after adding Powell and Phillips through the draft. Cunnington, Anderson, Simpkin, LDU and Dumont would walk into any midfield in the competition. Their biggest issue has been their bottom 6 which would struggle to get a game at any other club in the competition. They were murdered today because Simpkin was the only one of those aforementioned midfielders that actually played.

To be realistic, if North have a clean bill of heath for an entire season and we struggle to or can't get Mitchell, Wingard, Gunston and Sicily on the park at the same time, then I absolutely wouldn't be surprised to see us finish below them.
Anderson, Simpkin, LDU and Dumont would not walk into any midfield in the competition. That's very much over selling them.

Your last comment negates the entire post. Your saying IF they stay healthy and we can't get OUR BEST 4 PLAYERS on the park, then they may go past us.
Says it all really.

Don't oversell them.

Cunnington is their only genuine A Grader and he has a degenerative back condition that forced him out of a lot of last season. The rest aren't world beaters. LDU and Simpkin are good enough players but still young and haven't shown much, Dumont and Anderson are fine at best and the other two are 18 coming off a season they barely played football.

Anderson, Simpkin, LDU and Dumont would not walk into any midfield in the competition. That's very much over selling them.

Your last comment negates the entire post. Your saying IF they stay healthy and we can't get OUR BEST 4 PLAYERS on the park, then they may go past us.
Says it all really.

Last season Dumont, Anderson and Simpkin all averaged more ranking points and disposals than O'Meara and Worpel did. Cunnington missed a huge chunk through injury but is a genuine gun midfielder. LDU is going to tear the competition apart this season as well.

It doesn't negate my point though. My point was that people on here (through rose coloured glasses) believe we will finish higher than North and don't rate anything about their list. Their bottom 6 is their concern. At full strength I think we lose the midfield battle to them but might just cover them elsewhere to make up for it. Without us being at full strength I think they beat us.

Last season Dumont, Anderson and Simpkin all averaged more ranking points and disposals than O'Meara and Worpel did. Cunnington missed a huge chunk through injury but is a genuine gun midfielder. LDU is going to tear the competition apart this season as well.

It doesn't negate my point though. My point was that people on here (through rose coloured glasses) believe we will finish higher than North and don't rate anything about their list. Their bottom 6 is their concern. At full strength I think we lose the midfield battle to them but might just cover them elsewhere to make up for it. Without us being at full strength I think they beat us.

My take on north was coaching uncertainty and organizational ructions on Adelaide. With us we are solid but some key player injuries

I still have nightmares about round 5 2018. 75 points to 18 at one stage. They have had our measure again since then at least once or twice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North have a horrendous list, we should be beating them all over the park with ours with ease.

They just delisted 11 players half of which were not their bottom 6, so they have weakened their already weak list significantly.

Using rating points and disposals to grade players in very misleading. In any event, your stats are wrong.
1614230836030.png

Would also be handy to think about Hawks best midfielders in comparison, can't just leave out a Tom Mitchell or Chad Wingard when he has rolled through there.

Our midfield isn't great, but stacks up well against North. Take out the silver service from Goldy and they'll struggle more.

LDU has been tipped to smash it for a while now, and hasn't given a yelp.

Our senior group let us down in 2020. Tipping they bounce back this year.
Their VFL side has been putrid for a while. We've got kids who won a flag at BHH not long ago. We've been poor at developing our youth for a while, could say North are worse.

I fine with Kingy and Co suggesting we will win the spoon, but base it on some logic.

Using rating points and disposals to grade players in very misleading. In any event, your stats are wrong.
View attachment 1065120

Would also be handy to think about Hawks best midfielders in comparison, can't just leave out a Tom Mitchell or Chad Wingard when he has rolled through there.

Our midfield isn't great, but stacks up well against North. Take out the silver service from Goldy and they'll struggle more.

LDU has been tipped to smash it for a while now, and hasn't given a yelp.

Our senior group let us down in 2020. Tipping they bounce back this year.
Their VFL side has been putrid for a while. We've got kids who won a flag at BHH not long ago. We've been poor at developing our youth for a while, could say North are worse.

I fine with Kingy and Co suggesting we will win the spoon, but base it on some logic.

I misspoke. Champion Data points had all 3 North mids ahead of ours.

Also until Clarko lets Chad loose in there for a proper amount of time I can't include him in the comparison.

The last point was also my point. Their bottom 6 down through their reserves aren't even close to ours. My main point is that right now I rate their midfield and they've only added to it in this years draft by taking 2 of the most highly rated kids in that position.

As a collective, their midfield has the potential to bat as deep as the Dogs. I have hopes for ours too if Cousins and Finn develop into stars to really assist Worps, Titch, JOM and hopefully Wingard.

I misspoke. Champion Data points had all 3 North mids ahead of ours.

Also until Clarko lets Chad loose in there for a proper amount of time I can't include him in the comparison.

The last point was also my point. Their bottom 6 down through their reserves aren't even close to ours. My main point is that right now I rate their midfield and they've only added to it in this years draft by taking 2 of the most highly rated kids in that position.

As a collective, their midfield has the potential to bat as deep as the Dogs. I have hopes for ours too if Cousins and Finn develop into stars to really assist Worps, Titch, JOM and hopefully Wingard.
Champion Data is just as rubbish and counting newly drafted kids is pointless and absurd.

North have a horrendous list, we should be beating them all over the park with ours with ease.

They just delisted 11 players half of which were not their bottom 6, so they have weakened their already weak list significantly.

We barely won last season and that was during our "good patch" of form that multiple posters have clung on to. Another 2 minutes and we lose that game.

Granted Higgins, who always plays well against us, is gone and they don't have Brown anymore. But we don't have Smith, and will likely not have Sicily and Gunston (without looking at the fixture).

You lost me here. They are just nowhere near the Dogs seriously.

Not quite in quality. But much like at the Dogs when it comes to the dilemma of squeezing everybody in on ball, North will soon encounter the same problem. That's anticipating the development of LDU, Powell and Phillips into players fulfilling their potential.

I'm happy to move on from this discussion. Been solo patenting a teething 1 year old between these posts this afternoon so I may not be explaining my rationale as clearly as usual.

In a nutshell, North have a quite a staked midfield that posters on here shouldn't be quite to write off.
I believe we at Hawthorn have greater depth throughout the list moving into 2021 however.

I think both sides can surprise a few this year and avoid the wooden spoon, despite seemingly being two favourites amongst predictors.

How long's Kingy been retired for now? Basically it's the opinion of some random in a front bar (looking more and more like it too). The game has moved on so far from when these guys played. It's little different from one of us tipping the wooden spooner - and I've got no idea!

Could be Port? ****ed if I know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back