No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost forgot about Patton. The fiasco that keeps dragging on.

spare a thought for Willie Rioli then - 18 months and counting

Snails move faster than an AFL enquiry

spare a thought for Willie Rioli then - 18 months and counting

Snails move faster than an AFL enquiry
That’s ASADA though with Rioli isn’t it?

That’s ASADA though with Rioli isn’t it?

not that I’m aware - I’m sure I heard Nesbit on the radio recently say that they were waiting to hear from the afl - might have to try and find that somewhere

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere

What has happened?
nothing yet, but essendon are having a whinge because their fans can't get into docklands.

For yrs we have been subjected to half dull stadiums at docklands against them because the coterie never turn up, but limits our members. All of a sudden it's an issue though

nothing yet, but essendon are having a whinge because their fans can't get into docklands.

For yrs we have been subjected to half dull stadiums at docklands against them because the coterie never turn up, but limits our members. All of a sudden it's an issue though

who cares... this one might work in our favour

Andrew Krakouers story in the HUN was a bit of an eye opener. Implies H and Leon were subjected to not so casual racism with the nicknames chimp and neon being included on their afl bios as a joke by other team mates. Might be because it rolls off the tongue but it amazes me how well accepted Neon Leon was adopted by the entire AFL community without question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Krakouers story in the HUN was a bit of an eye opener. Implies H and Leon were subjected to not so casual racism with the nicknames chimp and neon being included on their afl bios as a joke by other team mates. Might be because it rolls off the tongue but it amazes me how well accepted Neon Leon was adopted by the entire AFL community without question.

Might just be me, but u don’t get the problem with Neon Leon? My understanding of the name implies highlights and the amazingly cool things he did with the ball when he was near it. Maybe that’s not where the name started though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d need to be educated what’s offensive about neon leon

Maybe nicknames are so random they need to be banned altogether

Last edited:

Rather than pay for the HUN here's the article on zero hanger if anyones interested. Agreed that the article is an eye opener. Krakouer pretty much states that he was too scared to speak up because he thought he'd lose his job (ie no support).

What are we missing with Neon Leon?

I could be joining the wrong dots, but’s it’s like calling a red head bluey.

I’m not trying to be a SJW, it was just something I never considered until reading some of these articles. Shame if it is based on race because it’s defined his footy career.

I could be joining the wrong dots, but’s it’s like calling a red head bluey.

I’m not trying to be a SJW, it was just something I never considered until reading some of these articles. Shame if it is based on race because it’s defined his footy career.

That thought has never crossed my mind. But I suppose it couldn't be anything else?

That thought has never crossed my mind. But I suppose it couldn't be anything else?
Could it be that neon lights really stand out due to its colours much like how an indigenous mans skin colour might stand out to in a team full of caucasians? Especially as Collingwood have been not really welcoming of all races as a football club.

If so it would make it incredibly hard for Leon to feel included in the team when every mention of his nickname is a reminder of how your skin colour is different and how you don’t fit in.

Maybe I’m drawing a long bow but considering krakouer brought it up I’d say it at least started with racist connotations

I too thought Neon Leon was only a positive thing. That he was so exciting and skilful that he lit the place up like neon lights.

I can believe given the report that some racist idiots may have started it off as a reference to his dark skin being the opposite of a bright neon light or something like that, but it's so clunky and stupid as far as nicknames go (if that's the real origin of it) that I doubt most people ever thought it was anything but the positive.

I too thought Neon Leon was only a positive thing. That he was so exciting and skilful that he lit the place up like neon lights.

I can believe given the report that some racist idiots may have started it off as a reference to his dark skin being the opposite of a bright neon light or something like that, but it's so clunky and stupid as far as nicknames go (if that's the real origin of it) that I doubt most people ever thought it was anything but the positive.
Pretty sure the slur is because the bright white teeth on a dark body is like neon lights under a car.
It's still a stretch either way

Just on nicknames, they are often double edged both affectionate but sometimes also condecending. I was quite light until I hit about 20 and filled out and was called "Autum Leaves" by some of the older blokes at my footy club.

I meant to add that Bobby Skilton was known as Chimp due to being very hairy apparently.

We can dissect it any way we want - however I reckon Leon would know better than anyone why he got the nickname and the origins of it. I can definitely see how some of the suggestions offered here would have been clung to by ******* footballers who still think it’s okay to reduce a teammate to their skin colour.

Add it to the Lamumba stuff and it’s not exactly painting a pretty picture for that club. 16 other clubs aren’t experiencing these kinds of issues with their indigenous players at present it would seem. Dare say the internal report wasn’t at all a beat up.

Just on nicknames, they are often double edged both affectionate but sometimes also condecending. I was quite light until I hit about 20 and filled out and was called "Autum Leaves" by some of the older blokes at my footy club.

That’s the thing - it’s all about how the receiving party feels. They are often somewhat negative but affectionate. When that negative angle is based on your race and you don’t feel safe to say ‘I don’t like that, pick something else to call me’ when there’s a culture in clubs to not complain or rock the boat - that would be a fairly hollow experience overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back