No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Neon hopefully will just confirm what McAffer said first.

The nickname exists (Chimp) and that is why Brent was sent on his merry way from Eddie's Collingwood. Brent was a white bloke.

His name I have some doubts. He'd already left the club never said anything about it for 10 years.

But it's a good period to get a payout given the current 'vibe'.

I have some problems knowing what bMc has gone through while being honest about it while still working for the club. (And knowing as a white man he wouldn't receive a payout.)

Compared to someone who retired 10 years ago who now want's to support he's former teammate. He left to suffer by himself.

I hope it's better than that... well I just hope it's better than that.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
I know there are commercial obligations and the like but sometimes in life you do wonder why the simplest outcome can't be delivered.
Now that the AFL own Marvel, perhaps the appeal of a bigger crowd for the Essendon and Hawthorn game means more money into the AFL coffers. That would be particularly important to them if you take into account the losses they made last year.

Last edited:
Sorry, but if we think this is a "Collingwood only" issue, we're kidding ourselves.

As mentioned in that recent article, it was only really in the early 2000s that Hawthorn became even a remotely welcoming place for Indigenous players. Chance Bateman deserves to have a special place in the history of this club as one of the greatest agents of change it has ever had.

Sorry, but if we think this is a "Collingwood only" issue, we're kidding ourselves.

As mentioned in that recent article, it was only really in the early 2000s that Hawthorn became even a remotely welcoming place for Indigenous players. Chance Bateman deserves to have a special place in the history of this club as one of the greatest agents of change it has ever had.

That was then. We all know the issues we had and where we’re at now. Collingwood and Gold Coast are dealing with issues in very recent times however - so without any other incidents being reported this is very much presently a Collingwood issue foremost.

That was then. We all know the issues we had and where we’re at now. Collingwood and Gold Coast are dealing with issues in very recent times however - so without any other incidents being reported this is very much presently a Collingwood issue foremost.

What was the issue with Gold Coast?

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons

One of a few issues Wilkinson has claimed he faced. Not as systemic as Collingwood however it would seem.
Fancy in this day and age that anyone would think it’d be okay to paint your skin colour to look like another race... black, white of whatever. It’s obviously a maturity issue but geez you’d think these guys would know better.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Now that the AFL own Marvel, perhaps the appeal of a bigger crowd for the Essendon and Hawthorn game means more money into the AFL coffers. That would be particularly important to them if you take into account the losses they made last year.
That depends on how much has to be spent on the 'knock on' effects.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

Not once did Chance Bateman say it was unwelcoming. In fact the was invited to provide input about the way forward. Why do people insist on twisting it?

Hawthorn not recruiting indigenous before that is another matter (and not exactly true) the director who made the comment to Turnbull would have been booted out in the 1996 events.

I wonder if the players and staff who were sacked or got pay cuts are feeling a bit cheated that the economy seems Ok after all (of course it always was going to be)

Will be interesting if we have a fairly unblemished season for crowds and attendances where our profits end up this year in light of staff expenditure overall being down. The amount of redundancies needing to be paid out last year would have had an impact on our bottom line.

If it were me and there was a quick rebound financially I’d be a bit miffed - particularly when working for HFC would be a dream job for me.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Just on nicknames, they are often double edged both affectionate but sometimes also condecending. I was quite light until I hit about 20 and filled out and was called "Autum Leaves" by some of the older blokes at my footy club.

I meant to add that Bobby Skilton was known as Chimp due to being very hairy apparently.

piggy Dunstall. Chief. Gorilla

piggy Dunstall. Chief. Gorilla

Do those guys find them endearing though is the thing. I get called ‘big fella’ because I’m a broadly built guy and sometimes am carrying some extra kilos. It doesn’t bother me that I get called this when heftier than usual. Having a diminishing racist nickname like ‘chimp’ when you’ve had to live your life with the impact of both casual racism and overt racism would be a fairly s**t thing to have to deal with - particularly when you feel you have no outlet to speak out about it.

I wonder if the players and staff who were sacked or got pay cuts are feeling a bit cheated that the economy seems Ok after all (of course it always was going to be)
The comp still lost millions and did pretty well to survive relatively unscathed in the end. Most would say the cuts were still critical.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The comp still lost millions and did pretty well to survive relatively unscathed in the end. Most would say the cuts were still critical.

If every org did it. The economy would be heading south. Cap squeeze means they can’t get recompensated in good times, just waste the dosh on aflx or something

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Do those guys find them endearing though is the thing. I get called ‘big fella’ because I’m a broadly built guy and sometimes am carrying some extra kilos. It doesn’t bother me that I get called this when heftier than usual. Having a diminishing racist nickname like ‘chimp’ when you’ve had to live your life with the impact of both casual racism and overt racism would be a fairly sh*t thing to have to deal with - particularly when you feel you have no outlet to speak out about it.

My point is not to diminish names which are racist, just that nicknames or even sledges hurt the sledgee then it’s the same human principle.

The sledger or name caller can’t know the effect on the other person. It’s not whether they themselves think it is alright, that’s not the point

Why can the person on the receiving end make the call if it’s race or minority based, but everyone else has to put up with community standards?

The answer is a ban on nicknames or sledging

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
I get called ‘big fella’ because I’m a broadly built guy and sometimes am carrying some extra kilos. It doesn’t bother me that I get called this when heftier than usual.
Difference is you may be caucasian & male, which renders you immune to victimhood. In fact it means you're likely a terrible person responsible for the world failing to resemble the Communist nirvana existing only in the minds of those moronic enough to peddle Identity Politics in the first place.

Difference is you may be caucasian & male, which renders you immune to victimhood. In fact it means you're likely a terrible person responsible for the world failing to resemble the Communist nirvana existing only in the minds of those moronic enough to peddle Identity Politics in the first place.

Yes but I choose not to acknowledge the ramblings of the Twitter-left who comprise about 1% of the population and speak (albeit loudly) only for themselves. Same way I don’t believe dickheads who burn crosses in regional Victoria resemble mainstream conservative opinion. I also choose to acknowledge that an Indigenous bloke would have to go through a truckload more crap in life because of racism than I would because I’m white - whether that’s uncomfortable to admit for someone or not. To then be saddled with a race related nickname where you’re one of maybe a couple players who are Caucasian might be a pretty shitty, lonely and diminishing predicament. Empathy isn’t hard and doesn’t have to be abandoned because some people have awfully stupid opinions on identity politics that involve self flagellation based on their race or gender.

My point is not to diminish names which are racist, just that nicknames or even sledges hurt the sledgee then it’s the same human principle.

The sledger or name caller can’t know the effect on the other person. It’s not whether they themselves think it is alright, that’s not the point

Why can the person on the receiving end make the call if it’s race or minority based, but everyone else has to put up with community standards?

I think that’s a rather arbitrary and silly response. I think what’s better is to create environments in any workplace where someone can say ‘hey can you think of another nickname as I don’t really like that one’ and your peers happily take that on board. Most nicknames are just a variant of your names so it’s really not that problematic an issue unless you start wandering down the path of using fairly obvious slurs like calling a black person ‘chimp’.

GOHORCS

All Australian
Nov 12, 2011
Mount Martha
AFL Club
Hawthorn

It seems to me the only issue with nicknames is if someone doesn't feel empowered enough to say if they don't like it. I am a ranga but I felt I could safely give something back or tell others I didn't appreciate it. Obviously a racist nickname or highlighting a disability etc should never be an option. I don't think being a ranga is a disability!

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do those guys find them endearing though is the thing. I get called ‘big fella’ because I’m a broadly built guy and sometimes am carrying some extra kilos. It doesn’t bother me that I get called this when heftier than usual. Having a diminishing racist nickname like ‘chimp’ when you’ve had to live your life with the impact of both casual racism and overt racism would be a fairly sh*t thing to have to deal with - particularly when you feel you have no outlet to speak out about it.

I get called fatman and sometimes it hurts. I’m over-nourished in my opinion. :drunk:

On a serious note I agree with your take on the racist nicknames.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
I think that’s a rather arbitrary and silly response. I think what’s better is to create environments in any workplace where someone can say ‘hey can you think of another nickname as I don’t really like that one’ and your peers happily take that on board. Most nicknames are just a variant of your names so it’s really not that problematic an issue unless you start wandering down the path of using fairly obvious slurs like calling a black person ‘chimp’.

among 20-somethings men this sounds like the perfect way to get that nickname to stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back