No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does someone have a link to the latest podcast Clarko was in? I can't seem to find it and have bulk downtime at work today.

that then becomes bullying and you are in a world of pain if the guy reports it

to a degree but if the guy was one of your mates i can see a world where the perps. just think its a bit of friendly banter. can you bully one of your mates? abso-*******-lutely you can but in my experience and others' the bullies don't get it because its 'just a bit of fun between friends'

it seems people are finally beginning to speak up a bit (post-footy) but its still super hard. it's difficult to do during your playing years because imagine the ostracization that would happen if you 'ratted' out your teammates. its a difficult issue and i think the players on the receiving end are put into a really shitty systemic place that goes beyond just being bullied. i think that clubs have certain people in place to deal with this but covid cutbacks may have seen them lose their jobs?

hopefully it becomes commonplace to report this s**t and stamp it out (we've all heard the tom boyd rumours as an example) but i would have to imagine its pretty rampant considering the demographic, whether malicious or not

I could be joining the wrong dots, but’s it’s like calling a red head bluey.

I’m not trying to be a SJW, it was just something I never considered until reading some of these articles. Shame if it is based on race because it’s defined his footy career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's nothing racist with Neon Leon.

Thats a nickname that Eddie gave him because ed likes to think he's really smartest guy in the room. Leon hated the name and preferred Magic. So there's nothing racist inferred by Leon. That's not to say he and Lumumba didn't experience racism in some form at magpie land

Thats a nickname that Eddie gave him because ed likes to think he's really smartest guy in the room. Leon hated the name and preferred Magic. So there's nothing racist inferred by Leon. That's not to say he and Lumumba didn't experience racism in some form at magpie land

Eddie giving indigenous players nicknames. I guess that explains everything.

My response was based on Krakouers article where he mentions nicknames and other players filling out their bios with joke answers.

Leon was a great player who was defined by his nickname. Given what we know now about the environment it’s truely sad if it had any negative connotation to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that it is supposedly a good thing, but I'm not overjoyed with the club continually hemorrhaging talent.
In all fairness, that is just part of working life, to get 10 years out of someone is above and beyond these days. The only thing we should be worried about is we are bringing in like for a like talent (I am sure we will).

If anything what highly skilled and talented individuals see is hawthorn is the breeding ground for significant career progression. Should make talent acquisition a bit easier moving forward, which makes Clarkos role so important and even if some don't like Jeff he offers stability in unstable times.

I would imagine this enables us to lower our management expenses significantly but still attract growing talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Granted losing talent is frustrating - however Silver has served in his capacity for a long time and now gets to lead a club in his own right. Massive opportunity for him, one he wasn't given here because we went with Reeves, so of course he would try his hand elsewhere if being CEO was his preferred career outcome. If talented people are going to get more lucrative and preferable offers elsewhere there is very little an organisation can do to retain them.

Granted losing talent is frustrating - however Silver has served in his capacity for a long time and now gets to lead a club in his own right. Massive opportunity for him, one he wasn't given here because we went with Reeves, so of course he would try his hand elsewhere if being CEO was his preferred career outcome. If talented people are going to get more lucrative and preferable offers elsewhere there is very little an organisation can do to retain them.

I think it's a testament to the bloke that he stuck around when Kennett hired Reeves to be CEO after the Gaudry fiasco. He probably would have felt that his time at the club (including acting as CEO when Hawthorn was looking for someone to replace Gaudry) would have stood him in good stead to be the next CEO, but he wasn't promoted then. He came up through the ranks at Hawthorn. According to his LinkedIn profile, he first joined Hawthorn in 2004 as a payroll manager, then became a financial accountant in 2005, before moving up to financial controller in 2009. He was then named GM of Finance in April 2011, before becoming COO in May 2017.

I think it's a testament to the bloke that he stuck around when Kennett hired Reeves to be CEO after the Gaudry fiasco. He probably would have felt that his time at the club (including acting as CEO when Hawthorn was looking for someone to replace Gaudry) would have stood him in good stead to be the next CEO, but he wasn't promoted then. He came up through the ranks at Hawthorn. According to his LinkedIn profile, he first joined Hawthorn in 2004 as a payroll manager, then became a financial accountant in 2005, before moving up to financial controller in 2009. He was then named GM of Finance in April 2011, before becoming COO in May 2017.

Payroll manager to CEO within 17 years is a pretty impressive effort. Obviously a good operator - hope he does well at Adelaide, just not at our expense on game day.

The irony of Leon wanting to be named Magic, when I remember many years ago some of the indigenous players, I believe Mickey O and Goodes at Sydney, complaining that names like Magic were disrespectful to indigenous players because it implied the players had magical talents and did not have to work hard to be good footballers...

#anythingtocomplainabout

Source? Not doubting you, I’ve just heard a bunch of conflicting info on all this it’s hard to know what’s real anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back