No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeGoey had been managed by his father for the last 12 months, but with 2022 being the year that he would become a free agent he’s decided to get serious about his representation….so he’s appointed his brother in law, who’s a fireman to be his manager.

No doubt he was thinking who better to put out the off field spot fires?

Obviously I missed the positive posts on Hartigan.
Poor bloke copped it from supporters every week

He did, but he often looked like a bloke that could lift a ton, but couldn't spell it!

However if fairness to Hartigan, it also appeared his role would change from week to week - from shutting down a certain opponent to guarding space to prevent forward leads - and then you had matches where sometimes he and Frost just resembled dumb and dumber, both flying in the same contest to spoil, leaving their opponent to simply crumb and kick an easy goal etc...!

DeGoey had been managed by his father for the last 12 months, but with 2022 being the year that he would become a free agent he’s decided to get serious about his representation….so he’s appointed his brother in law, who’s a fireman to be his manager.
Hahahaha

You couldn't make this s**t up :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Though this is pretty funny, I kinda like the idea of moving away from the established AFL player management mafia. I think a lot of the more contentious points of recent drafts have been from the player managers like Colin Young having too many players on their books and having too much power over the clubs.

Though this is pretty funny, I kinda like the idea of moving away from the established AFL player management mafia. I think a lot of the more contentious points of recent drafts have been from the player managers like Colin Young having too many players on their books and having too much power over the clubs.

This is so true and the sooner players identify that they should engage someone looking after their interest only, the better off the industry will be. Player managers like AFL media, have become large parasites that rely on the game for their survival but think they are now more important than the game itself.

This is so true and the sooner players identify that they should engage someone looking after their interest only, the better off the industry will be. Player managers like AFL media, have become large parasites that rely on the game for their survival but think they are now more important than the game itself.

I could be wrong but the role of a player manager has changed a lot since the evolving influence on the AFLPA who now represent the players interest far more than their manager in all non-financial matters. i.e. you rarely see/hear any comment from a players manager when they are facing an on-field suspension and/or if they are being investigated for off-field issues..?

In defense of managers, I can see the importance of having an independent representative in your corner when negotiating your value/income and I'd imagine most managers would have some 'interesting' dealings with club list managers from time to time, specifically during trade periods...
I do not however see much upside with having a family member manage you, as they would rarely have the industry experience and knowledge required.
The only benefit would be creating a job/income for them, but at what cost and risk particularly if emotion is involved, i.e. "My brother is worth $2m/year, take it our leave it..!"

Last edited:
I could be wrong but the role of a player manager has changed a lot since the evolving influence on the AFLPA who now represent the players interest far more than their manager in all non-financial matters. i.e. you rarely see/hear any comment from a players manager when they are facing an on-field suspension and/or if they are being investigated for off-field issues..?

In defense of managers, I can see the importance of having an independent representative in your corner when negotiating your value/income and I'd imagine most managers would have some 'interesting' dealings with club list managers from time to time, specifically during trade periods...
I do not however see much upside with having a family member manage you, as they would rarely have the industry experience and knowledge required.
The only benefit would be creating a job/income for them, but at what cost and risk particularly if emotion is involved, i.e. "My brother is worth $2m/year, take it our leave it..!"
No dispute on the need for someone to act as independent negotiator. The problem is more about the concentrated presence of so few player management companies with large stables who hold too much sway. The more competition the better for everyone involved, less peacocking of Connors types.

No dispute on the need for someone to act as independent negotiator. The problem is more about the concentrated presence of so few player management companies with large stables who hold too much sway. The more competition the better for everyone involved, less peacocking of Connors types.

Agree, but I think you'll find the small amount of management companies/player managers is more to do with limited income opportunities. I mean the clubs and the AFL in general now control/approve most of the players other income opportunities, product endorsements/TV ads etc...

Related, when Clarko left Pickering a few years ago it was publicly an amicable agreement, until Pickers stupidly joked one time that he was glad to no longer be managing such a 'difficult client'...
When asked for a response, I recall Clarko sarcastically said; "Really, of course Pickers was 'always' at your disposal and would 'never' send you long email rants if you happen to appear on a footy show without his prior knowledge, ha ha"...

Last edited:

Possibly a salary cap avoidance mechanism (the managers cut)

Possibly a salary cap avoidance mechanism (the managers cut)

Unlikely, as I'm pretty sure a managers commission is a percentage deduction from the players income, as opposed to an extra cost to the club. Players hire mangers, not clubs...

Last edited:
I think posters are kidding themselves if they believe Howe would be one of the last selected

one of those players that you don’t realise the work they do until they aren’t out there doing it.

Agree, I watch the replay of each game probably at least twice and Im always impressed how hard he goes at the footy. He uses the ball well and is one of our best contested ball winners. He’s not overly quick for a wing and Im not sure how much ground he covers but to me hes an inside mid.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe this guy

6CCC2132-C169-4356-B771-D4CFEC1D3DA4.gif

I was always of the view that you shouldn’t “force” people to do something

I’ve been fully vaccinated since July

But I am sick to death of staying home on weekends, not having people over to my house, not taking my wife and daughter away for the weekend, only driving 15 km from my house, only going to Coles etc

It’s selfish, but get vaccinated so I can have my life back!

Richard Taylor springs to mind. hope he’s OK these days

so taking away a players freedom of choice is a good thing?
They can choose another sport. The UFC doesn't care about workplace safety or public health. Maybe they could try their hand at that....? There is always a choice my friend...And most eventually choose the 🤑🤑🤑

They can choose another sport. The UFC doesn't care about workplace safety or public health. Maybe they could try their hand at that....? There is always a choice my friend...And most eventually choose the 🤑🤑🤑

Yes most will take the money, I agree with that. The only choice for them is to conform or be ostracised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back