No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He got told a few weeks ago it was likely to go public then confirmed last week , so yeah got in first .

There has been mumerings of something behind the scenes for a few years , whats interesting is a few jorno's seemed to know while others had no idea at all eg Whately.

Another mess by CA
England trying to deflect the heat from their sh*t team & poor chance of success by shining the spotlight on us? This has either been news for 4+ years, or was never news to start with.

I find the timing very suspect.

It was a consensual exchange between two adults when he wasn’t employed by Cricket Australia. This should be between him and his wife.

The dick pic wasn’t consensual - hence the other party involved launched a complaint with their respective employer. And Paine was part of the test team at the time - so, yes, it very much involves CA.

England trying to deflect the heat from their sh*t team & poor chance of success by shining the spotlight on us? This has either been news for 4+ years, or was never news to start with.

I find the timing very suspect.

This isn’t 1999 sadly - England hold zero fear of the current Australian side and have every right not to. I love beating England more than most things - but England is basically ranked equally to us in the ICC rankings and we are relying on the form of more players on the wrong side of 30 than Geelon are. Our last test series was a home loss to India, and our test side hasn’t played for a year since. England would absolutely fancy their chances - scandal or no scandal.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
This isn’t 1999 sadly - England hold zero fear of the current Australian side and have every right not to. I love beating England more than most things - but England is basically ranked equally to us in the ICC rankings and we are relying on the form of more players on the wrong side of 30 than Geelon are. Our last test series was a home loss to India, and our test side hasn’t played for a year since. England would absolutely fancy their chances - scandal or no scandal.
Have you seen that England squad?

I would be surprised if they thought they were a decent chance. I think it is arguably a worse squad than the last one they trotted out here with.

Look at the current England side - 1999 & India are irrelevant (1999 especially, as we've had far more dominant sides since then). And as you well know, cricketers aged 30+ is also irrelevant, especially for a series that will be finished in 3 months from now - we're not selecting a side for the 2023 series.

They're garbage & the heat has been on them for 2 months for being garbage.

Paine caused a stir with them about 6x weeks ago for comments he made re: quarantine & 4yr old news 'broke' the following fortnight.

A scandal is exactly what they need. I just hope we don't serve them a massive advantage by selecting a Fast Bowler as Captain (which we undoubtedly will, because CA :shrug: ...).

Have you seen that England squad?

I would be surprised if they thought they were a decent chance. I think it is arguably a worse squad than the last one they trotted out here with.

It’s not as formidable as some of the English squads of the last 10-15 years, I’ll grant you. But last year we lost to the depleted Indian second string side that became a third string side at times due to further injuries. Our squad is nothing to gloat about and if Marnus and Smith don’t fire we are in deep strife.

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
That was my point - they’ve been through and worked through all of this before and it’s awful that she’s having to do it again. It was obviously very low key last time and the number who knew, probably small and able to be contained, whereas this time it’s world wide. It was good to hear that she believes that supporting each other is helping.

I don’t know the details but I also thought it was he that released the information - maybe getting in first

I wouldn't feel too sorry for the wife OTC. From the scuttlebutt I hear down here, and to be clear it is just scuttlebutt but from someone I trust, Tim & his wife have an 'arrangement' in their relationship where they pretty much allow each other to have other relationship/flings. Which is fine of course and perhaps helps explain why she is standing by her man to a degree.

It’s not as formidable as some of the English squads of the last 10-15 years, I’ll grant you. But last year we lost to the depleted Indian second string side that became a third string side at times due to further injuries. Our squad is nothing to gloat about and if Marnus and Smith don’t fire we are in deep strife.
If the over 30's bowlers in Broad & Anderson don't fire then I can't see us being dismissed all series.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
We still have arguably the best bowling line up in the world, 2 of the top 4 or 5 batsman in the world.

Warner at home should still be a big factor and i think Green will really start to flourish this series, he is ready to break out on the international stage.

England have Root and an injured Stokes. I saw a stat (haven't fact checked it) that England haven't won a test in Aus or New Zealand for 10 years... They are not winning this series at all.

3-1 Aussies if England play above themselves.

Our pace attack plus Gazza will destroy them and the likes of Warner, Smith and Lamb shanks will fill their boots on our home decks.

We still have arguably the best bowling line up in the world, 2 of the top 4 or 5 batsman in the world.

Warner at home should still be a big factor and i think Green will really start to flourish this series, he is ready to break out on the international stage.

England have Root and an injured Stokes. I saw a stat (haven't fact checked it) that England haven't won a test in Aus or New Zealand for 10 years... They are not winning this series at all.
3-1 Aussies if England play above themselves.

Our pace attack plus Gazza will destroy them and the likes of Warner, Smith and Lamb shanks will fill their boots on our home decks.

This bowling line up is exactly the same one that couldn't roll over the one of the worst Indian sides to ever tour here that got hit by injuries after it arrived - and even gave up a test at the Gabba for the first time in decades. Our side is mostly the same to the squad that couldn't get the job done last summer. We are overly reliant on 4 players (Marnus, Smith, Cummins and Hazlewood) and we will likely continue to plod along and pick players who struggle at the international level (Khawaja and Head).

I want to win as much as the next Aussie - but I am certainly not going to be entering into any 'we got this' kind of banter because I haven't been confident about our test team's chances since 2007. I hope we have another crushing whitewash and the barmy army are silenced from day 1 of every test - but the failure of last summer can't be ignored and the T20 World Cup victory doesn't mean a single thing for the long form side.

This bowling line up is exactly the same one that couldn't roll over the one of the worst Indian sides to ever tour here that got hit by injuries after it arrived - and even gave up a test at the Gabba for the first time in decades. Our side is mostly the same to the squad that couldn't get the job done last summer. We are overly reliant on 4 players (Marnus, Smith, Cummins and Hazlewood) and we will likely continue to plod along and pick players who struggle at the international level (Khawaja and Head).

I want to win as much as the next Aussie - but I am certainly not going to be entering into any 'we got this' kind of banter because I haven't been confident about our test team's chances since 2007. I hope we have another crushing whitewash and the barmy army are silenced from day 1 of every test - but the failure of last summer can't be ignored and the T20 World Cup victory doesn't mean a single thing for the long form side.

Was also the one that drew 2-2 (and should have been 3-1 but for that utter Stokes game cluster*) in the previous Ashes in England.

We will destroy this mob this summer. Unless Root tons up every test we will do nasty things to them.

Edit: re: India. Their batsmen have always posed us more problems even with strong bowling line ups. England won't provide the same resistance.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers

We had a disaster of a series and i am not sure if you watched it but did you see India beat England on it's own deck this year?

England have not had an answer for Smith for 10 years, doubt they are just going to have one now.

Marnus is Marnus he will be a rock.

Outside of Root that batting lineup is putrid and Cummins and Hazlewood will have a field day with them. Same with Richardson if our selectors are smart enough to pick him.

Main point Anderson and Broad have never been as effective in Australia as elsewhere, i do not expect a 39 year old Jimmy Anderson to be able to lead that England attack to a series win on our pitches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
The dick pic wasn’t consensual - hence the other party involved launched a complaint with their respective employer. And Paine was part of the test team at the time - so, yes, it very much involves CA.
It was consensual, and she was sending photos to him - that's how cricket Tasmania came to the conclusion they did.

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just to clear up some facts with this
Complaint wasn't raised until the theft charge was laid

And this all came to light because she is seeking compensation for her legal costs (40K), hence the threat of the texts leaking etc

This isn't trying to discredit anything, its just the facts of what has occurred

Was also the one that drew 2-2 (and should have been 3-1 but for that utter Stokes game clusterfu**) in the previous Ashes in England.

We will destroy this mob this summer. Unless Root tons up every test we will do nasty things to them.

Edit: re: India. Their batsmen have always posed us more problems even with strong bowling line ups. England won't provide the same resistance.
We had a disaster of a series and i am not sure if you watched it but did you see India beat England on it's own deck this year?

England have not had an answer for Smith for 10 years, doubt they are just going to have one now.

Marnus is Marnus he will be a rock.

Outside of Root that batting lineup is putrid and Cummins and Hazlewood will have a field day with them. Same with Richardson if our selectors are smart enough to pick him.

Main point Anderson and Broad have never been as effective in Australia as elsewhere, i do not expect a 39 year old Jimmy Anderson to be able to lead that England attack to a series win on our pitches.

Trust me, I hope you're both right. I am just nowhere near as confident as either of you are based on the past history of this present squad. Our lack of quality openers (Warner is still handy in short form but has struggled at test level since returning) and a reliable batter at 5 has concerned me for years and it leaves us exposed if one of Marnus or Smith fails to fire. Granted England's openers are all fairly sub-par also so that at least evens things up.

What would raise my confidence is if Stokes isn't fit and firing - if this is the case I think we would have the edge. Granted we should have had the edge all of last summer and that didn't pan out at all.

It was consensual, and she was sending photos to him - that's how cricket Tasmania came to the conclusion they did.

Always happy to stand corrected, but can you provide any links that confirm this? The multiple articles I have read regarding it have stated there were flirtatious messages back and forth but that the dick pic was unsolicited - hence the complaint made.

There are quite definitive reports that the picture was unsolicited and followed messages, not images from her.

Last edited:
Just to clear up some facts with this
Complaint wasn't raised until the theft charge was laid

And this all came to light because she is seeking compensation for her legal costs (40K), hence the threat of the texts leaking etc

This isn't trying to discredit anything, its just the facts of what has occurred

Again - that goes against things I have read about the incident (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cri...egal-fee-payment-in-2018-20211121-p59aqb.html)

Sean Mulcahy, who was contacted by the staffer’s then lawyer to set up a meeting with CA because of his association with cricket, described what took place.

“I provided a full copy of the text conversation with Tim Paine, including the pictures that were sent,” he said. “I indicated that it was her intention to keep the matter private and that she was seeking an apology from Cricket Tasmania and her legal fees reimbursed. I was subsequently contacted by Christine Harman at CA, advising that no mediation would take place. That was my last discussion with CA.”

The emails also mentioned the possibility of the story being taken to media outlets, but the staffer eventually decided not to go through with that plan.

“I advised that her only remaining course of action through me was to take the matter to the media,” Mulcahy said. “I told her that given the impending Ashes series, the severe fallout from the South Africa incident and subsequent sacking of then captain Steve Smith, that she could possibly command a large fee for her story. Her ultimate decision was to let the matter go and move on.

“It was always my understanding that she never wanted this matter to become public. She turned down the possibility of a big pay day to tell the story, yet she chose to stay quiet. I don’t believe she is the source of this story now being made public.”

She abandoned any quest for money years ago according to this account. Again happy to be enlightened of other facts about the matter, but from anything I have read this was Paine getting in front of it because it was about to this the press - and the press have threatened him on it for years.

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Always happy to stand corrected, but can you provide any links that confirm this? The multiple articles I have read regarding it have stated there were flirtatious messages back and forth but that the dick pic was unsolicited - hence the complaint made.
Not the case

No links to provide, so happy for you not to believe

But there is so much more to this story then what has been reported

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Again - that goes against things I have read about the incident (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cri...egal-fee-payment-in-2018-20211121-p59aqb.html)

Sean Mulcahy, who was contacted by the staffer’s then lawyer to set up a meeting with CA because of his association with cricket, described what took place.

“I provided a full copy of the text conversation with Tim Paine, including the pictures that were sent,” he said. “I indicated that it was her intention to keep the matter private and that she was seeking an apology from Cricket Tasmania and her legal fees reimbursed. I was subsequently contacted by Christine Harman at CA, advising that no mediation would take place. That was my last discussion with CA.”

The emails also mentioned the possibility of the story being taken to media outlets, but the staffer eventually decided not to go through with that plan.

“I advised that her only remaining course of action through me was to take the matter to the media,” Mulcahy said. “I told her that given the impending Ashes series, the severe fallout from the South Africa incident and subsequent sacking of then captain Steve Smith, that she could possibly command a large fee for her story. Her ultimate decision was to let the matter go and move on.

“It was always my understanding that she never wanted this matter to become public. She turned down the possibility of a big pay day to tell the story, yet she chose to stay quiet. I don’t believe she is the source of this story now being made public.”

She abandoned any quest for money years ago according to this account. Again happy to be enlightened of other facts about the matter, but from anything I have read this was Paine getting in front of it because it was about to this the press - and the press have threatened him on it for years.

She is still chasing the money

From someone fairly close to the situation

She is still chasing the money

From someone fairly close to the situation

Is this why Paine got on the front foot now though? As I have seen comments from Paine himself state this has been known by the media for some time now and threatened for it to be published in the past. I got the impression it was the press that was about to bring it out not the woman herself.

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is this why Paine got on the front foot now though? As I have seen comments from Paine himself state this has been known by the media for some time now and threatened for it to be published in the past. I got the impression it was the press that was about to bring it out not the woman herself.
There is two aspects to it, the press were going to release it and it has been swirling, but its also the actual issue between CTAS and the woman

I wouldn't feel too sorry for the wife OTC. From the scuttlebutt I hear down here, and to be clear it is just scuttlebutt but from someone I trust, Tim & his wife have an 'arrangement' in their relationship where they pretty much allow each other to have other relationship/flings. Which is fine of course and perhaps helps explain why she is standing by her man to a degree.

That is totally irrelevant
What they do within their marriage is their own business
My comment was solely based on that information being put out into the universe

There is two aspects to it, the press were going to release it and it has been swirling, but its also the actual issue between CTAS and the woman

Cheers - as someone who is always perplexed as to the 'why' of any human behaviour this is the bit that always intrigued me. I know the he was getting in front of the story, but I was trying to gather why he would do that and the press didn't seem to be indicating that it was the other party doing the potential releasing.

Overall I am just hoping this allows Carey or Inglis to come into the side - my desire for regeneration in the Aussie test team is comparable to the desire of pro athletes to seemingly take photos of their junk.

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
That is totally irrelevant
What they do within their marriage is their own business
My comment was solely based on that information being put out into the universe
Yeah, fair point. I guess what I was trying to express was that I feel a lot more for the woman who received the unwanted attention. Probably worded that previous post a bit poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back