No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reflecting on the trading as a whole. 39 trades. 6 being just picks trades, only one involved a 2 player swap. 17 future picks were traded

In the top 10 in this draft. 7 were on traded

GWS is going to be amazing next year.

Another year of experience including a taste of finals and add Lids to the mix.

Crikey.
Thats what I thought out Port after the 2014 season and they've been ordinary since. Gws are playing that
crazy run at high speed manic game similar to what Port did and it can be very difficult to sustain year after year.

Thats what I thought out Port after the 2014 season and they've been ordinary since. Gws are playing that
crazy run at high speed manic game similar to what Port did and it can be very difficult to sustain year after year.
Not if you have a team of first round drafted players sitting in the reserves :eek:

Midfield tackling pressure. On them like flies on a turd. If only we had three league leading tackling monsters in our midfield. Oh, do we? Plus we have Langers? Gee...
Hopefully we'll be alright Oz, Langers is good, Mitchell laid 13 tackles in the gf and JOM can do everything.
Forgot shiels!

Last edited:

Crikey.

It's not a bad life for GWS right now. Trade players from your list that won't make it to desperate clubs like Essendon and Carlton for draft picks, and start again with new players in the draft. If anyone should be banned from trading draft picks it's GWS.

It's not a bad life for GWS right now. Trade players from your list that won't make it to desperate clubs like Essendon and Carlton for draft picks, and start again with new players in the draft. If anyone should be banned from trading draft picks it's GWS.
That's what I have been saying. They have so many high picks that when 1 or 2 don't work out, they trade them for more first rounders or seconds...and then have another dip. On top of this, they pluck academy selections and top up. This will keep going on for a long time, and it will be hard to stop

Geelong look flimsy.

Their forward line is Hawkins.
Their midfield is pretty thin after the two guns in the middle (felt a bit yuck typing that about selwood)
Their backline looks good on paper but mackie, lonergan and Taylor have to be on the decline pretty soon.

Agreed - a few of their fans came trolling over the trade period and I couldn't understand why. Their list has numerous frailties - they are almost as bereft of draft picks as we are and they pushed Jimmy Bartel out the door rather than look after him the way we did with Mitchell and Lewis. They lost Caddy and gained Tuohy - which is a loss overall. They better unleash some gems in the draft or they are in a world of hurt.

Crikey.

This. From a list perspective it is unbelievable. Add in they have pick 2 and 15 in this years draft, they have future picks banked and they have the academy that will explode one day. It is scary

Geelong look flimsy.

Their forward line is Hawkins.
Their midfield is pretty thin after the two guns in the middle (felt a bit yuck typing that about selwood)
Their backline looks good on paper but mackie, lonergan and Taylor have to be on the decline pretty soon.

Geelong are not very good. Neither are Sydney and neither were Hawthorn this year. All benefited massively from a very weak year and the Dogs will fly past (all ready have) and GWS will FLY past the dogs.

Maybe the Hawks have improved with their moves. Geelong have gone massively backwards - out Enright and Bartel, in Touhy :eek: and zero draft picks in sight. Swans have gone nowhere as well, in fact have gone backwards. Out Mitchell, Nankervis, in no one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Afl website's Callum Twomey gave Hawthorn "a closer to E" rating for our trade outcome. Now as I open my
Media Hawthorn Haters file, its bulging but just enough room for one more.

It is funny. I challenge anyone to open next season with a better combination than O'Mera Mitchell Vickery obtained from this trade & draft period.

Hawks spend everything on these 3 including next years first round pick. But every club in the league would spend everything to obtain those three players in one off season.

It is funny. I challenge anyone to open next season with a better combination than O'Mera Mitchell Vickery obtained from this trade & draft period.

Hawks spend everything on these 3 including next years first round pick. But every club in the league would spend everything to obtain those three players in one off season.
Spot on. I'm rapt with these guys, Lewis and Mitch are happy and really am excited with 2017.

Afl website's Callum Twomey gave Hawthorn "a closer to E" rating for our trade outcome. Now as I open my
Media Hawthorn Haters file, its bulging but just enough room for one more.

That is ridiculous! I was shocked when I heard someone yesterday give us a 'C'! Much as I am not happy about losing Lewis and Mitchell, how can you rate a club that lands O'Meara and T Mitchell anything lower than a 'B+'?

Geelong are not very good. Neither are Sydney and neither were Hawthorn this year. All benefited massively from a very weak year and the Dogs will fly past (all ready have) and GWS will FLY past the dogs.
You mean like how a young Hawthorn 2008 and Port Adelaide 2014 would fly past everyone?
No such thing as a sure thing.

Crikey.
If they stay healthy the only way I can see GWS missing out on the 2017 flag is if they're overawed by the GF crowd and choke. How fortunate they are that aside from ourselves no MCG tenant is likely to contend next year.

You mean like how a young Hawthorn 2008 and Port Adelaide 2014 would fly past everyone?
No such thing as a sure thing.
GWS have more talent than our 2008 side and most of their squad is now poised to hit their straps... simultaneously.

Closest to a sure thing this sport has seen to win a flag in the next few years, but still very light on for experience so there's hope.

Harsh, they looked after us with TMitch, could have easily asked for more. They've also managed to upgrade to Pick 9 in the draft. So they've got 9 and 14.

I agree. You can't judge a trade/draft period until all the pieces have stopped moving. Unless you're looking at Adelaide where apparently nothing moved at all.

Harsh, they looked after us with TMitch, could have easily asked for more. They've also managed to upgrade to Pick 9 in the draft. So they've got 9 and 14.

They traded 14 as part of that trade for #9. They have 9 and 19 (Brisbane's priority pick)

That is ridiculous! I was shocked when I heard someone yesterday give us a 'C'! Much as I am not happy about losing Lewis and Mitchell, how can you rate a club that lands O'Meara and T Mitchell anything lower than a 'B+'?
The bloke sitting next to Twomey gave us a "B", go figure. I'll just put a big black texta line through his name for everyone.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl-se...t/news-story/49624f15aded1f98333bcd43271a21ba

So Doggies stay where they are after trading out a full back and retaining 3x30 year olds (who on average age are older than Hodge, Burgoyne and Gibson). They also brought in Cloke

We drop because our older guys are slowing down. And Vickery is no good (even though he easily outperformed Cloke last year). Also they don't know who Ryan Burton is.

#head*ed

#whilstimatit

#handitback

Agreed - a few of their fans came trolling over the trade period and I couldn't understand why. Their list has numerous frailties - they are almost as bereft of draft picks as we are and they pushed Jimmy Bartel out the door rather than look after him the way we did with Mitchell and Lewis. They lost Caddy and gained Tuohy - which is a loss overall. They better unleash some gems in the draft or they are in a world of hurt.

No they didn't - let's not wrap the Hawks up in gift paper. Sam and Tazz were told they wouldn't have a new contract after next year, Jimmy was told he would more than likely play a lot of his games in the two's. I'm quite sure that had jimmy said that he would like to explore options elsewhere the cats would of assisted him in the same manner the Hawks did.

It's getting repetitively boring hearing how the Hawks shoved those players out the door and now you're doing the same to Jimmy and the cats. The reality is that all three of those guys could have stayed in their own jumpers for another year but they chose not to because it wasn't in their best interests.

The above opinion is not a criticism of the choices that sam and Tazz made - I'm happy that they've been able to extend their careers and earn some more for their retirement fund. It's only to make the point that I don't think anyone has been treated poorly - it seems open, honest discussions were had with all players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back