No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting seeing quite a few Sydney players went into the GF injured or underdone. it is almost ironic that they did that after 2012. NEVER take injured or underdone players into a GF. The Hawks have open spoken about that poor decision since they beat us in 2012. Seems they didn't listen. Parker, Tippett, McVeigh were all under done or under an injury cloud and all went missing for most of the game. With us we had Burgoyne, Hodge and Ellis all under done or under a cloud and they all performed well below the standard required that day. lessons to be learnt for any club I think

Mills also underdone
Papley not been on the track too but not sure if its from something post gf

Clubs own fault for playing them, would have lost anyway, dogs found an edge over the comp, lets see if they keep it tho

People on the radio (SEN) this morning lauding Luke Beveridge for rotating all his assistant coaches, a genius masterstroke apparently... Hawthorn have been doing this for years :rolleyes:
Whereas Hawthorn are also rotating their assistance coaches to other clubs as senior coaches...oh wait...D'OH!

Whereas Hawthorn are also rotating their assistance coaches to other clubs as senior coaches...oh wait...D'OH!

Indeed! I think the fact that we lose an assistant a year to another club is enough for the media to cope with and they haven't noticed that we usually rotate the remaining coaches, including the Box Hill coaching position. Meh, it just annoyed me that they made such a big deal of Beveridge doing it when it's not that uncommon. I wonder where Bevo got the idea from? ;) (not that I have anything against Bevo).

So Birchall has signed on til the end of 2019...meh...think I would have preferred the 2nd round (maybe end of 1st) FA compo for him.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but get fcuked ;)

I'm not going to lie, I'm surprised it's 3 years as he did appear to struggle this season. Hopefully he carried a niggle and can return to his former self

Don't expect everyone to agree with me. Personally I believe the game is going past him. He's been a champion for our club, but I'd rather see someone like Burton or Howe in his role long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't expect everyone to agree with me. Personally I believe the game is going past him. He's been a champion for our club, but I'd rather see someone like Burton or Howe in his role long term.

No, there's plenty that agree with you. I just think the lot of you are nuts and are viewing his season based on a couple of poor games at the end of the season. His stats were extremely similar to 2012-2015 and our defenders were the stars of our side last year and the reason we finished top 4. The powers that be obviously rate him highly enough to give him another 3 years. Birch still loves the club enough to shun free agency - which proves the doubters of our culture wrong. This is win/win for me.

Given the year we had, it's not exactly a great award

It would be like beating a wheelchair bound person in the hurdles

While not our best season of the last 5, but we still did win 17 games and finish in the top 4. I know it's far below our usual benchmark - but it's not like we finished in the bottom half of the ladder.

Someone on here posted they would rather have burton or howe take birchalls position. Long term yes, not right now, they are both kids and not ready yet and who better than learn off than birch.
He strikes me as a great leader and teacher and if he is there for another 3years to do that im all for it.
Silly to think people would want another champion of our club to go and pressume kids with little to no experience can assume the role.

On F3115 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Someone on here posted they would rather have burton or howe take birchalls position. Long term yes, not right now, they are both kids and not ready yet and who better than learn off than birch.
He strikes me as a great leader and teacher and if he is there for another 3years to do that im all for it.
Silly to think people would want another champion of our club to go and pressume kids with little to no experience can assume the role.

On F3115 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I mentioned it. To clarify, I'm more than happy for Birchall to play out 2017 with us, as I agree, it might be too early for Howe and Burton to take on that kind of role full time. But I think Birchall might struggle to genuinely be best 22 from 2018 onwards, so whilst it appears cold to say we should take the FA compo* and run, logically it makes sense.

*Regarding FA compo, if we are bringing in a big gun on FA as rumoured, then obviously our compo for Birchall would be compromised, with that in mind, I'd have no problem retaining him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back