No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is it with the umpires and their love for the scum?

Every 50-50 decision goes their way, they get all the soft ones, and a lot of the time obvious frees against them aren't given.

Their past two NAB games they've been heavily favoured by the umpires.

What's the story? Surely all the umpires can't support them...

Are they scared of being boo'd by their supporters or being disliked by people at the club? I don't get it.

It's gone on for as long as I can remember. They ALWAYS get the rub of the green from the umps.

Cost us a spot in the 2001 GF, IMO, and the umpiring in rd 22 '09 was atrocious.

I thought this s**t would end once Goldspink retired. Apparently not.

Why do the umps love the Scum? Why are they looking after them?

Speaking of Essendon, has anyone ever seen a more pathetic display of over-excitement? In a pre-season! Against teams that aren't trying!

That's a bit harsh LP, Saints were pretty much fielding a full side :cool:. Maybe it's the saints that are on the down slide. Did say wtf though when the commentary boys were talking about reassessing the eight and whether they can go well into the finals this year.

That's a bit harsh LP, Saints were pretty much fielding a full side :cool:. Maybe it's the saints that are on the down slide. Did say wtf though when the commentary boys were talking about reassessing the eight and whether they can go well into the finals this year.
hahaha, Classic!

Personally I think the media love affair with Essendon is a laugh.

It's funny that Bombers fans think it's the start of a run to the finals.

Incidentally, anyone see Port wack the Cat's last night? ;)

I see Edward is at it again - this time in Grubby Hutchison's column in the HS wanting all home games at the MCG after their current 2 match Idiot stadium deal expires at the end of 2011.

Probably fair enough in many ways, and you'd think we should be safe, however whatever is good for Collingwood always comes at a cost to someone else.

All the more reason, whether it be the weather, the opponent, or your mother-in law's birthday that you should opt in favour of watching the mighty Hawks play - bums on seats translate into powerful bargaining chips.

The media can barely contain themselves. Someone should show them a calendar.

Smells of Carlton winning the preseason a few years back.

Nothing more pointless than winning the NAB Cup. Wrong time to be in peak form.

I see Edward is at it again - this time in Grubby Hutchison's column in the HS wanting all home games at the MCG after their current 2 match Idiot stadium deal expires at the end of 2011.

Probably fair enough in many ways, and you'd think we should be safe, however whatever is good for Collingwood always comes at a cost to someone else.

All the more reason, whether it be the weather, the opponent, or your mother-in law's birthday that you should opt in favour of watching the mighty Hawks play - bums on seats translate into powerful bargaining chips.

They have a good case for 11 at the MCG, but given our current commitments it will more than likely come out of the hide of Melbourne and Richmond.

Being a Hawk fan it is mandatory to dislike Essendon and I don't think the Bombers will make the finals this year - however I feel by hitting the ground running and providing opportunity to the young talent on the list, generating some interest and some enthusiasm they are doing well.

I think they have identified they won't challenge this year - so why not go for some silverware while other teams eye the main prize.

Externally Robbo, Connolly and co will be excitement personified ... internally EFC are probably looking to challenge in 2013.

.. this won't stop the early season hysteria which will result in more members for the Bombers.

... this won't stop the early season hysteria which will result in more members for the Bombers.

The Hird appointment is a marketing gimmick being swallowed whole, with an egotistical pawn being used to play it out (Voss is a coach, Buckley is a coach, so .... better start coaching :rolleyes:). The chances of Hird being the best candidate for that position are so minute it's a waste of time considering it. In a few years time he may get to a level that should have got him an interview, until then prepared to be bombarded with pro-Hird from the Herald-Essendon, with Bomber Thompson playing a bigger part than he'll ever likely get credit for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone catch Andy Maher's little "ends justify the means" regarding Hird/Thompson bit on SEN this morning?

I hope he is this sanguine next time a club lies to his face. Utter squib.

a Pre-Season Ladder .. tabled results of all clubs during the pre-season - gives an indication of how teams are tracking -- I think any club who won 3 out of their 5 played would be satisfied with their pre-season -- as long as they sustained no major long term injuries.

Collingwood 5 - -
Hawthorn 4 - 1
Essendon 3 1 1
Sydney 3 - 2
Geelong 3 - 2
Carlton 3 - 2
Adelaide 3 - 2
West Coast 3 - 2
Western Bulldogs 3 - 2
St.Kilda 2 1 2
Gold Coast 2 - 3
Brisbane 2 - 3
Melbourne 2 - 3
North Melbourne 2 - 3
Port Adelaide 2 - 3
Richmond 1 - 4
Fremantle 1 - 4
Greater Western Sydney - - 5

The one thing that always perplexes me in the preseason is whether the win loss ratio of other teams is a 'formline' or an 'interest line'. I mean look at Sydney, have they ever entertained trying to win a Preseason game in the first round?

The only thing about pre-season formlines is what the Yanks call "strength of schedule". The only team of any substance we beat this summer was Fremantle. North and the Dees may knock at the door of the eight, but that is it.

And a few teams got to pad their stats with an afternoon against the Witches Hats.

... interest line methinks -- however this can transcend into formline come round one ...

majority of coaches are looking towards round one , however winning form is good for confidence levels - which improves players faith in their own ability and that of the gameplan.

Pendlebury:

"Any team whose players work to a strong system, and believe in that system, will pose a huge threat, regardless of how old its list is."

"About midway through last season, it hit me how tight the group was and how much confidence we had in one another's ability."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ining-in-arizona/story-fn82yfy7-1226025036753

While parts of this are bordering on arrogance, to me it shows that Collingwood's main strength is belief, which in turn leads to commitment.

While parts of this are bordering on arrogance, to me it shows that Collingwood's main strength is belief, which in turn leads to commitment.

Nothing wrong with a good dose of arrogance when you can back it up - the hawk boys had plenty of it in 2008 and it was obvious that they operated on exactly the same principles as Pendlebury mentions and that's that faith they had in each other.

As Clarko says, 'when it's your turn to go, you go' and our boys did in 08 - that's what they have to rediscover and if they can do that then they can shake the magpies tree a little and start to cast that kernel of doubt.

Nothing wrong with a good dose of arrogance when you can back it up - the hawk boys had plenty of it in 2008 and it was obvious that they operated on exactly the same principles as Pendlebury mentions and that's that faith they had in each other.

As Clarko says, 'when it's your turn to go, you go' and our boys did in 08 - that's what they have to rediscover and if they can do that then they can shake the magpies tree a little and start to cast that kernel of doubt.

Absolutely. That's a premiership mentality, something we've lacked the last 2 years and need to get back. Geelong sustained that belief/arrogance/attitude for 4 years, the Saints had it for most of 2009, and Collingwood rightfully believe they are the best team and act that way. Extending from Ram-Man's post hopefully one thing we take out of winning pre-season form is a mental gain, it needs to be unwavering.

Rumour. Thompson was on $750K at Cats. At Ess He Is on $1m and Hird is on $1.1.
Interesting in light of
1.statements that he is getting less at Ess than he was at cats..... not true
2. Ess spending like drunken sailors.....keep wasting that money

I posted this on 13 Dec.
It is correct.
Thompson and Essendon should get Ju- Liar on board as No 1 ticket holder::p

I posted this on 13 Dec.
It is correct.
Thompson and Essendon should get Ju- Liar on board as No 1 ticket holder::p

I really hope it is true and that their season turns to the brown stuff sooner rather than later.

However, the sheer excitement of Hird walking into the place could win a game or two for them. Confidence is king. But I would really, really enjoy seeing them get pumped by 100+ in round one by a hungry bulldogs side (who I think will be awesome this year).

Look at the big picture.
In the next 5 years Essendon will not beat Collingwood Dogs Hawthorn Melbourne Suns or GWS to win a premiership.
But they will get
1. Massive coverage from the AGE and their other Journo supporters, which will only fuel unrealistic expectations and.....trouble from their rabid supporters
2.Massively in debt..... paying 2 coaches $2.1m A YEAR for next 5 yrs.
Sit back and enjoy the shambles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back