No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #10 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caro has her own sources. I dare say barass and Caro might have had the same source(s) in this case.

I don't know how to feel about Caro.

She has done incredibly well to get where she has in what has been an extremely blokey industry. She has built up serious sources, can write, can research and I love that she doesn't downplay or bury issues when they arise (as opposed to 95% of the footy media that are North Korean-style mouthpieces for the AFL).

But I equally find it annoying that she seems to turn every event, comment, mistake into a Machiavellian plot like she's auditioning for a role as a screenwriter for House of Cards.

No doubt she's better than most of the football media and she's broken some big stories. But I think she could have even been better if she'd dropped the 'girl who cried scandal' routine.
I have a great deal of respect for Caroline Wilson, for all she has achieved. I have next to negligible respect for the industry she inhabits, and the subject matter she chooses.

Journalism is such a negative business these days; car accident in Mildura, house fire next to a double shooting in Cragieburn, next to politicians behaving badly in Melbourne or Canberra. When you think about it, sport's meant to distract you, to take your mind off the problems you face in your own life. I used to love reading Peter Roebuck's articles in the Age about cricket; it captured my awe of the events on the pitch, and expressed the match and its ebbs with a connoisseur's touch.

When Caroline Wilson writes, I get no sense of love for the game, or enjoyment of the subject matter, because she doesn't talk about the game so much as she picks at something on the periphery; gambling, lack of female representation at a club, corrupt practices, drugs in sport (both the performance enhancing and the mind blowing). She performs a function that, when there's genuinely something to pick at - Whitfield hiding from drug testers, Essendon's drugs fiasco - is tremendously valuable; she doesn't hold back, she doesn't give a s**t who she offends, and she will go as far as she can to hold those she considers guilty to account.

However.

She never talks about the things she sees that are done well, or are progressive, or that are good as they are. She's obsessed, as are the rest of the media, with bad news stories. She can't scare you with a car accident on King's Way or a double shooting in Prahan; she's a footy journalist, so she picks at an easy rumour to make, that of a backroom deal between MLG and Lethlan, to undermine Trigg. It's designed to sell bad news, which people of course respond to. Carlton supporters respond to criticism like crazy, and Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon supporters love to read it; it confirms that we're still the club they hated, just bereft of success. It makes it so that it doesn't really matter how much we change, the perception/stereotype will hold true; we'll always be that corrupt club beholden to private wealthy members.

Until she - and her industry - are willing to give credit where it's due, until they're honest about the society that we live in, I will always be ready to criticise journalists for their faults. She's pretty good usually with fact checking, but this particular article lives not on the facts it's based upon but the tone she brushes them with.

However.

She never talks about the things she sees that are done well, or are progressive, or that are good as they are. She's obsessed, as are the rest of the media, with bad news stories...

I don't agree that she never talks about what is done well. And I think the "obsession" that you talk about isn't so much about being negative, as it is about wanting it to be better. The bad aspects associated with the AFL should be pointed out, so they can be improved upon, rather than ignored.

I don't agree that she never talks about what is done well. And I think the "obsession" that you talk about isn't so much about being negative, as it is about wanting it to be better. The bad aspects associated with the AFL should be pointed out, so they can be improved upon, rather than ignored.
There reaches a point where, regardless of how much merit your criticism has, you eventually need to do something other than criticise.

If you have an example of her doing something other than throwing shade at individuals in the AFL environment, I'd be glad to see it.

Just had a look at the tigers grand final side and I still don’t understand how they won the flag
Look at their record at the G over the last few years, then look at the quality of the only side in finals that played against them that was a co-tenant.

In a year like last year, the only predicable thing was home ground advantage. The Tigers, after they beat a fragile Geelong, played interstate opposition at their home ground.

Simple.

That, and they were running our 2011 gameplan, but with genuine tackling smalls and an intelligent key forward, rather than Setanta O'Halpin.

Pursuant to the conversation we were having before:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...lson-know-about-football-20171207-h00wg3.html

It's staggering to think of how long she's been in the job, really, in the male dominated industry she inhabits. I'm not going away from what I said, but it certainly puts some perspective on what she's tried to achieve with her time in the head chair; to tell the stories no-one else would, and to break light on stuff that but for her would stay hidden.

That's the stuff she's done well.

Pursuant to the conversation we were having before:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...lson-know-about-football-20171207-h00wg3.html

It's staggering to think of how long she's been in the job, really, in the male dominated industry she inhabits. I'm not going away from what I said, but it certainly puts some perspective on what she's tried to achieve with her time in the head chair; to tell the stories no-one else would, and to break light on stuff that but for her would stay hidden.

That's the stuff she's done well.
Apart from being unable to hide her Richmond bias, Caroline Wilson has been pretty good over the years. She can be vicious when required and not afraid to ask the tough questions when needed.

Kudos to her for surviving and remaining professional in a very unprofessional environment.

Just had a look at the tigers grand final side and I still don’t understand how they won the flag
Intensity and pressure, attacking & freeflowing football.

No other team has been doing it for a while - league wide, game plans have been the rage for the last 6 or 7 years or so.

Same as how the bulldogs won it the year before in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simples...

quiz-crow-mates.jpg.620x0_q80_crop-smart_upscale-true.jpg

BAD_Cough-2.jpg

It wouldn't suprise me if a few crows players were spooked by some of Dustys dads mates leading up to the GF..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back