No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #10 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh. Right. Always up for that fight.
It shouldn't really be a fight if personal experiences are left to one side and honest and objective discussion comes about.
When you're ready to delete a few posts, I suggest these ones.

Have we gone too NFL with set structures?
There is no wall to get past a bit like rugby

I’m with fev and Sammy Newman
Simple game get ball kick ball forward to contest smalls face goalside then if need crumb and kick goal

When you're ready to delete a few posts, I suggest these ones.

These people keep thinking they're saying something by saying nothing at all. Can't debate but resort to ad hominem
Have you any insight into anything at all or just plant the odd snide remark here or there for a group laugh? Poor style there Jimmy.

That’s like saying oh well person you weren’t born as intellectually as me therefore you’re nothing

That's drawing a very long bow indeed and one that may suit your narrative but it has nothing to do with mine.
I didn't say that nor alluded to it.

Forget it. I don't even know what some of you are saying, as it's all in disguised riddles and has nothing to do with the point in question.

Reality vs expectation; human species doesn't operate according to a code of morals, unfortunately. Take precautions.
Absolutely. However we don't then blame the victim when said human species doesn't operate according to (society's) code of morals.

These people keep thinking they're saying something by saying nothing at all. Can't debate but resort to ad hominem
Says the person who said:
Which path is that? Someone calling me names again? :)

One is responsible for self and bad things can happen to anyone.
Just be smart and don't be don't demand the world to do the right thing upon you just because it should.
That line of thinking is for fairies and fools

Firstly, you accuse others of calling you names when you state unequivocally that a particular line of thinking is for "fairies and fools." Ad Hominem indeed.

Secondly, I fundamentally disagree with your suggesting that we shouldn't expect society to do the right thing. My opinion is that we can absolutely demand the world do the right thing, not simply because it should, but because being part of a society demands that you follow the laws agreed upon by the society. IMO the alternate argument is advocating anarchy.

Yes. Objective and not driven by parroting a line that will win you likes.
You seem to have something to say. What is it? Can you articulate what you're angling at?

So your opinion is valid and objective, and my opinion can be dismissed as it is one in which I give only to gain myself "likes?"

We clearly have different philosophical positions which is fine. To be clear, my position is that victims of other people's malevolence are never to blame, while I believe you're saying that the victim has responsibilities for other's actions if said victim puts themselves in a position to be acted malevolently against (apologies if this is inaccurate). Make no mistake though, both these positions are subjective, because they are based on a different interpretation of the same facts.

I don't need to convince you of my position. However I'm not going to stand by and watch you spout your opinion as if no other position should/could exist, while you accuse those that think differently of being nothing but like-mongers, fairies and fools.

Secondly, I fundamentally disagree with your suggesting that we shouldn't expect society to do the right thing. My opinion is that we can absolutely demand the world do the right thing, not simply because it should, but because being part of a society demands that you follow the laws agreed upon by the society. IMO the alternate argument is advocating anarchy.
We clearly have different philosophical positions which is fine. To be clear, my position is that victims of other people's malevolence are never to blame, while I believe you're saying that the victim has responsibilities for other's actions if said victim puts themselves in a position to be acted malevolently against (apologies if this is inaccurate). Make no mistake though, both these positions are subjective, because they are based on a different interpretation of the same facts.

I don't need to convince you of my position. However I'm not going to stand by and watch you spout your opinion as if no other position should/could exist, while you accuse those that think differently of being nothing but like-mongers, fairies and fools.

That's great. You do have something to say, this time.

Do you expect or even demand for society to do the right thing by you? Why is that when the current reality largely shows you otherwise?
I agree in the principle but wouldn't be foolish enough to expect or demand that I should be taken care of. What has led you to this conclusion?

You haven't read 'my opinion' as you wouldn't be saying that i'm spouting anything other than to take responsibility for ones actions. Is this wrong and if so why and how?

It's not always simply a black and white situation. I'd have no right to be assaulted preaching anti-Semitic, anti-Muslim, anti-Black sentiments, but maybe it's just not a particularly good idea to do so.
Extreme maybe, but principal is the same; I see so many people walking across roads oblivious to their surrounds. They don't look for cars possibly running a light, or for motorbikes zipping between cars, they're just happy tapping their phones as if the world around them doesn't exist and when one of them ends up in hospital, they will be the victim no doubt, but unfortunately that won't help their injuries one iota; "Be aware of your surrounds and situations you enter into', isn't the worst message one can relate, is it?

Agree with a lot you write here and ive experienced or seen many examples of what you're referring to, i just see string of explicit videos a little different.

Sharing sexual videos without consent is a big deal now, so i see it a little different to the other situations. I think its difficult to not find yourself in these situations as everyone has a camera nearly 24/7, people want their 15 seconds of fame and as i said, people just haven't learnt what constitutes consent, harassment, bullying.

Im interested to see where it will go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROUND 7 2018-ATTENDANCE 302,578-18 TEAMS-Aust pop 24.7 mill
ROUND 7 2008-ATTENDANCE 300,023-16 TEAMS-Aust pop 21.3 mill
ROUND 7 1998-ATTENDANCE 283,374-16 TEAMS-Aust pop 18.7 mill

I suspect that AFL attendances are decreasing compared to the increase in population. Interesting to see where the game is in 10 years.

I suspect that AFL attendances are decreasing compared to the increase in population. Interesting to see where the game is in 10 years.

You have to remember that we get all our coverage in real time now. Big difference to where it was 10 years ago, when it was on delay.
Hard to imagine that we'd actually be watching our sports on delay now isn't it, but live coverage would keep some away from attending, for the obvious 'comfortable' reasons.

What is your thinking here dangerousdane ?

He drunkenly propositioned (graphically) a friend of mine whilst out once and once was rejected ended up telling her how much he loved his partner and this was the only time this had happened. You or many might say it doesn't mean anything but the way i see it, that stuff doesn't just happen once.

I also saw him at a club i used to go to in my younger days chewing his face off, the club wasn't a place people went to for a drink and a chat.

Sharing sexual videos without consent is a big deal now, so i see it a little different to the other situations. I think its difficult to not find yourself in these situations as everyone has a camera nearly 24/7, people want their 15 seconds of fame and as i said, people just haven't learnt what constitutes consent, harassment, bullying.

Im interested to see where it will go.

It's all down to risk management and one is wise to minimise risk. That just makes for common sense, if you're prepared to give common sense a chance.

We can all get caught out in situations we didn't see coming but the smart will not go back to that same well over and again......and I don't men smart by way of Intelligence Quotient but just some simple, everyday, street-wise, common sense.

Seems that way but you would need to look at a bigger body of stats, this round didn't have many blockbuster games to get excited about. With Soccer and basketball being so popular theses days its hard to see why new arrivals would start to follow AFL.

He drunkenly propositioned (graphically) a friend of mine whilst out once and once was rejected ended up telling her how much he loved his partner and this was the only time this had happened. You or many might say it doesn't mean anything but the way i see it, that stuff doesn't just happen once.

I also saw him at a club i used to go to in my younger days chewing his face off, the club wasn't a place people went to for a drink and a chat.
Very surprising.

I called it last year and was told I know nothing. Now, apart from that being the truth, it's besides the point.

They have a few very nice players under the age of 24. Nobody that strikes me as consistent future All-Australian mind you. But they really have a lot of nothing players.

We're critical on Jacob Weitering. If they could get current Weitering production out of McCartin they'd take it.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back