No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-15/the-stats-files-clarkos-crusade-on-the-state-of-the-game#/

Clarko is right. Game is over adjudicated. Focus is on the Umps not the players or the game spectacle itself.

Brief B/W run down
2018 2005
Contested Possessions : 146.2 114.5
Kicking Efficiency : 64.9 74.7
Tackles : 64.4 41.9
Frees For : 20.9 16.5
Stoppages : 60.4 50.3
Interchanges : 94.9 35.3

The AFL have maintained throughout the naughties that they want a freer game style a more flowing gamestyle. Yet the numbers do not lie, they have in fact impeded the game with their own adjudication. They have made it a roving scrum, stoppage to stoppage with more frees paid as a result (due to the fact everyone is humping everyone on the ground).

Has the interchange cap (You know the tax we had to have?) made the players fresher as a result? Has it injected that flowing pace to the game? Or has it given greater stamina to tackle teams to the Nutz? Stop play? Hold up?

Discuss.
it is over adjudicated I agree

lot of sense in that - I wonder what sort of game we'd have if for instance they started playing hard-ball (correctly) on incorrect disposals? reckon players would just stop doing it? could be - how much slower would it make things?

cough-medicine-500x500.jpg

lot of sense in that - I wonder what sort of game we'd have if for instance they started playing hard-ball (correctly) on incorrect disposals? reckon players would just stop doing it? could be - how much slower would it make things?
Players generally adapt quite well to these sort of changes. We certainly see a lot less 50m penalties than the 15m penalties we used to see. Likewise, it didn't take long for players to adapt to the tightening of the hands in the back rule.

Unfortunately everytime the AFL look to change or tighten rules, coaches do everything in their power to thwart such change, not for the betterment of the game, but purely for self interest.

from memory sheedy instigated the 50 metre rule - directed his * players to grab hold of an opposition player after a mark and not let go till all upfield options were covered - was happy to sacrifice 15 metres doing so - vfl got jack of that and extended the 15 to 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from memory sheedy instigated the 50 metre rule - directed his * players to grab hold of an opposition player after a mark and not let go till all upfield options were covered - was happy to sacrifice 15 metres doing so - vfl got jack of that and extended the 15 to 50

Was overkill going to 50.
30 metres makes far more sense.

I love learning :thumbsu:

I love learning :thumbsu:

Reminded me of this.
Some more videos put up you might like.

oh wow. Hearing Parkin discuss how Richmond beat Carlton in 1982 Second Semi-final is brilliant but also the penny dropped it sounds like Parkin was the guy that influenced the 50 metre penalty as he felt Richmond were exploiting well the 15 metre penalty at the time. About 17 or 18 minute marks he says be will bring up his suggestion at the next coaches conference.

This is gold. He is just been asked about the Polkinghorne- Wayne Johnston incident. About to listen to what Parkin says. This video is absolute gem mate.
It is a great interview.

The 15 metre rule was being abused by every team.

Would be interesting to know how much of an influence Parkin was in bringing in the 50 metre penalty.

The Polkinghorne stuff is great as well as his obvious discomfort with the administration of Carlton and how it portrayed the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back