No Opposition Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HARKER

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Carlton
once more I get dragged into the gaping maw of harker-think and come out dripping wet and disoriented - mind you if you truly believe your opinion doesn't count - why am I having this discourse? out........
Just an observation and happy to be countered. No problem.

I dislike the game of ping-pong the AFL are playing with this. I really dislike it as it's not genuine.

I haven't even watched the past few Grand Finals. As if I even give a ****. :) I do dislike us all being treated like sheep and idiots though. Not nice.

Blue Pulse

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
Reality is the AFL GF could be played at anytime of day and it would still be a full house due to the spectacle of the game. The change of time is to suit the corporate and entertainment purposes.

Purists will flock to the game because they love it no matter what time it is played. It is no longer the people’s game and hasn’t been for a while. The AFL want to make the GF into a spectacle, unfortunately they don’t realise that it already is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the pre or half time entertainment would be better at a twilight or night Grand Final tbh. So much tradition is gone from the game that I find myself apathetic about it all tbh.

As long as Carlton makes another one before the end of the century, they could play it at 3 am and I'd be well chuffed :)

SkyhorseTamer

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
The Superbowl starts at 6:30 PM local time........

Seems to go OK.
The SUN man. Half the ground is in sun and half is in darkness.
of course - america does it therefore.............I think some people aren't even aware of what their own sense of autonomy has been degraded to...........
Not really a relevant example as most superbowls are now played in dome stadiums, a far more common trend, where weather plays no part. The last two open air stadiums were 2016 and 2014, where sunsets were 5.40 and 5.15pm. Where twilight simply doesn't extend to 6.30.

Interestingly superbowl 55 will be in tampa, where sunset is later. But still well before 6.30, however could be the closest to a modern superbowl being influenced by the sun.

Bluella

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wouldn't dare...
of course - america does it therefore.............I think some people aren't even aware of what their own sense of autonomy has been degraded to...........
Oh god - THIS.

I wish people would stop using the argument that something is better/more mature/more desirable just because a sports league in the US does it. Or that, if the AFL does not adopt a particular thing that another league does, that somehow it is a 'maturity' thing and people need to 'grow up'. Change is not inherently either bad or good - judge each specific change for what it is for our league/sport, not just so we can imitate another league like mindless sheep.

IMO - I think the lack of independent thought that is so common on these kind of issues (not specifically here, the media is shocking for it too) is the real sign of immaturity and lack of development, not resistance to blindly adopting something just because it is done elsewhere.

Sorry - rant over.

MEB_

Mumma Mebbie
AFL Club
Carlton
Moderator #4,021
They don't have sun in the USA?
I don't watch the Superbowl so I have no idea what it looks like on tv, but don't they change stadiums every year? If we could just ignore America for half a second and focus on our Grand Final, which is always at the MCG, at twilight in September it is almost always half sun/half darkness.

thylacine60

Make me an Admin!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Insert Token EPL Club
Oh god - THIS.

I wish people would stop using the argument that something is better/more mature/more desirable just because a sports league in the US does it. Or that, if the AFL does not adopt a particular thing that another league does, that somehow it is a 'maturity' thing and people need to 'grow up'. Change is not inherently either bad or good - judge each specific change for what it is for our league/sport, not just so we can imitate another league like mindless sheep.

IMO - I think the lack of independent thought that is so common on these kind of issues (not specifically here, the media is shocking for it too) is the real sign of immaturity and lack of development, not resistance to blindly adopting something just because it is done elsewhere.

Sorry - rant over.

Arr0w

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Oh god - THIS.

Sorry - rant over.
Well said, very very well said

Top Bottom