No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Common usage sees the word 'depression' used as short hand descriptor and explainer for all sorts of point in time behaviours. It is easy to imagine that person X is 'using' 'depression' as an 'excuse' for naughty behaviour - but it is just as likely that poor behaviour may be an outcome not an input into the equation - we don't know so why speculate?

I’m claiming something to excuse my behaviour in here.

Will let you know what it is after my 1.30pm with my lawyer. Please note my condition may it may not change on the severity of the offence.

Video doing the rounds this morning of Hogan from last week, off his chops, no pants, his jaw swinging in the wind.

It really pisses me off, the idea that players are getting on it, getting caught and then using this as a way of escaping punishment.

A huge % of the population uses or has used drugs, not all have anxiety and depression, until they caught.
Said video is from 2 years ago. Someone has just decided to add fuel to the fire by resharing it around.

Old video

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Common usage sees the word 'depression' used as short hand descriptor and explainer for all sorts of point in time behaviours. It is easy to imagine that person X is 'using' 'depression' as an 'excuse' for naughty behaviour - but it is just as likely that poor behaviour may be an outcome not an input into the equation - we don't know so why speculate?

I prefer to apply Occam's Razor.

Poor behavior is most frequently an output of being a dick. So in the absence of other available data, I'm going with that.

I prefer to apply Occam's Razor.

Poor behavior is most frequently an output of being a dick. So in the absence of other available data, I'm going with that.

I have much sympathy for your position however nothing can really be said about these matters sans proof eg was Chris Yarran always a 'dick' OR did his problems with drugs follow from a difficult time(s) he was going through or some combination of both and other factors etc etc etc...

all speculation and any narrative can be constructed to suit the motive of the writer.

and so (probably) ends my nice guy input for 2019 - easier to go back to mongrel and more comfortable with its black and white simplicities.

See that Hannebery to miss the first month of football, calf and hamstring injury

Saints injuries are chronic

Reads a bit like Daisy Thomas to Carlton really - list management deferring to hope and faith rather than dispassionate medical opinion. Sydney rarely lose players that they wish to keep.

Reads a bit like Daisy Thomas to Carlton really - list management deferring to hope and faith rather than dispassionate medical opinion. Sydney rarely lose players that they wish to keep.
except newman.......

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Some footballers do indeed suffer from depression.

But in many cases it is "depression".

The second alternative is the reason Melbourne flicked him.

On a side note, the cynicism of the AFL shits me to tears. Routinely uses "depression" or "mental health issues" as a smoke screen for drug use, and everybody knows it. And apparently gives not a care about the damage that does to players who actually do suffer mental health problems, or indeed the wider community of sufferers. Arseholes.
Is it also not probable that the majority of AFL players could have stress related mental illnesses, given the lives they lead and the lack of downtime they get? I would be surprised if there isn't a much higher rate of mental illness in the AFL playing ranks than is reported.

If it's that everyone else has to get on with their lives where AFL players do not, what you're truly irritated by is that they have the money to be 'mentally ill' and to not suffer the repercussions of it. That's not a game I choose to play; if other people, the people you mention, had the wherewithall (whether they have a faux mental illness as a disguise for a drug habit or are actually mentally ill) to take time off without repercussion or a hit to their bottom line, they would.

Why choose to get angry about an action that, should you place 99% of people in a situation, that 99% would do exactly the same? At what point does that anger become pointless?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and mitchell....

ahh but Hawforn are a 'destination' Club ...and it is now Mitchell who?

Carlton story could have been very very different if we could have got O'Keefe to partner up with Judd - remember? THAT was the trade I really really wanted -missing link in midfield for us.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
ahh but Hawforn are a 'destination' Club ...and it is now Mitchell who?

Carlton story could have been very very different if we could have got O'Keefe to partner up with Judd - remember? THAT was the trade I really really wanted -missing link in midfield for us.
Shows the stubbornness clubs have for trading first round picks, we refused to trade pick 6 which ended up being Yarran, who although extremely talented, fizzled out to an average career. Richmond were called crazy for trading a first for Prestia, he helps them win a flag, West Coast RE: Redden was the same also Collingwood and Luke Ball

When you have a mature list which is almost there, top up and get it done

Shows the stubbornness clubs have for trading first round picks, we refused to trade pick 6 which ended up being Yarran, who although extremely talented, fizzled out to an average career. Richmond were called crazy for trading a first for Prestia, he helps them win a flag, West Coast RE: Redden was the same also Collingwood and Luke Ball

When you have a mature list which is almost there, top up and get it done

Agree - too much emphasis on so called first round pick(s) - but would rather be in Carlton's list position than Hawforns right now...I reckon they are cooked on a 2 yr view. Back in 2011/12 I reckon we were 80% there needed a class midfielder like O'Keefe and a couple of defenders to help Jamo ...Ratten's problem (if any at the time ) was over achieving.

After watching Walsh play - we have to all agree he is a better choice on a 2-3 yr view than Shiel. Not convinced EssenDONE will see much benefit from his inclusion - takes 24-30 players to get to a GF.

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Is it also not probable that the majority of AFL players could have stress related mental illnesses, given the lives they lead and the lack of downtime they get? I would be surprised if there isn't a much higher rate of mental illness in the AFL playing ranks than is reported.

If it's that everyone else has to get on with their lives where AFL players do not, what you're truly irritated by is that they have the money to be 'mentally ill' and to not suffer the repercussions of it. That's not a game I choose to play; if other people, the people you mention, had the wherewithall (whether they have a faux mental illness as a disguise for a drug habit or are actually mentally ill) to take time off without repercussion or a hit to their bottom line, they would.

Why choose to get angry about an action that, should you place 99% of people in a situation, that 99% would do exactly the same? At what point does that anger become pointless?

How about you don't ever again lecture me on what my thought patterns really are, according to your oracular vision. Because you seriously have NFI about me.

Or anything else, apparently, if you contend that 99% of people would develop stress related mental illness if they were AFL footballers.

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
Agree - too much emphasis on so called first round pick(s) - but would rather be in Carlton's list position than Hawforns right now...I reckon they are cooked on a 2 yr view. Back in 2011/12 I reckon we were 80% there needed a class midfielder like O'Keefe and a couple of defenders to help Jamo ...Ratten's problem (if any at the time ) was over achieving.

After watching Walsh play - we have to all agree he is a better choice on a 2-3 yr view than Shiel. Not convinced EssenDONE will see much benefit from his inclusion - takes 24-30 players to get to a GF.

Agree to a point, but I felt our bottom 6 needed improvement rather than our top end talent. Considering the players we took to Perth in 2011 semi, O'hAilpin, Davies, Joseph, Duigan, Thornton, all were serviceable, but didn't strike fear into the hearts of opposition. No Waite, Gibbs and Kreuzer. We won every qtr but the 2nd.

I know it's still early days, but I look at our team now and compare it to 2011 and try to work out who will come out trumps?

Backs
  • Marcus Davies, < Newman
  • Michael Jamison, >Jones
  • Jeremy Laidler <Plowman (Too early)
HB
  • Chris Yarran, <Thomas/Willo at this stage has got to get onto the park
  • Bret Thornton, <Weiters, hopefully will go way past
  • Nick Duigan <Marchbank
C
  • Kade Simpson, = Simpson
  • Mitch Robinson, Dow
  • Dennis Armfield <Walsh (Early Days)
HF
  • Jeff Garlett, SPS
  • Lachie Henderson, Curnow
  • Andrew Carrazzo Fisher
F
  • Eddie Betts, Cunningham
  • Setanta O'hAilpin, Mackay
  • Andrew Walker McGovern
FOL
  • Robert Warnock, Kreuzer/Phillips/Lobb
  • Chris Judd, Cripps
  • Marc Murphy Murphy
I/C
  • Heath Scotland,
  • Aaron Joseph,
  • David Ellard
SUB
  • Zach Tuohy
Missing: Waite, Kreuzer, Gibbs.

You get the gist of it, have fun

jpfalvo

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton

We were never trading pick1 for Shiel.
It's a bad comparison.

The question is more that should we have traded 2 second rounders and mcadam for McGovern when we needed 25yr old mids.

Potentially we should have kept mcadam filling the small fwd need. Traded 1 or 2 seconds and next years first for shiel.

Would have ended up with Walsh, Shiel McAdam and a second rounder (if only 1 traded)

Instead we have McGovern, Walsh.

All moot now, we have what we have

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Take these drugs enough and I have no doubt they are feeling anxiety and depression while they're coming down.

I won't condemn those who turn to drugs, I've been there myself, but neither do I have sympathy.
this no sympathy line is appalling - particularly from someone who has made the exact same mistakes and no doubt could have used it at the time.....

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
We were never trading pick1 for Shiel.
It's a bad comparison.

The question is more that should we have traded 2 second rounders and mcadam for McGovern when we needed 25yr old mids.

Potentially we should have kept mcadam filling the small fwd need. Traded 1 or 2 seconds and next years first for shiel.

Would have ended up with Walsh, Shiel McAdam and a second rounder (if only 1 traded)

Instead we have McGovern, Walsh.

All moot now, we have what we have

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Setterfield...that'll do me. Keep yer shiel and macadam.
But if Sos is so bad at it why not ring the club and ask for the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back