No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it also not probable that the majority of AFL players could have stress related mental illnesses, given the lives they lead and the lack of downtime they get? I would be surprised if there isn't a much higher rate of mental illness in the AFL playing ranks than is reported.

Yet we have coaches and players who argue that players have too much downtime during the week. Bolton's quotes about how important players use this time positively instead of just sitting around playing XBox which is again supported by the grow in number of players with Twich channels live streaming their gameplay.

Last edited:
We were never trading pick1 for Shiel.
It's a bad comparison.

The question is more that should we have traded 2 second rounders and mcadam for McGovern when we needed 25yr old mids.

Potentially we should have kept mcadam filling the small fwd need. Traded 1 or 2 seconds and next years first for shiel.

Would have ended up with Walsh, Shiel McAdam and a second rounder (if only 1 traded)

Instead we have McGovern, Walsh.

All moot now, we have what we have

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

You're opinion is fair enough JP, but I think we ended up with Walsh, McGovern, Stocker and Adelaide's 2019 1st.
To me, especially for the medium/long term, this puts us in front....

Agree - too much emphasis on so called first round pick(s) - but would rather be in Carlton's list position than Hawforns right now...I reckon they are cooked on a 2 yr view. Back in 2011/12 I reckon we were 80% there needed a class midfielder like O'Keefe and a couple of defenders to help Jamo ...Ratten's problem (if any at the time ) was over achieving.

After watching Walsh play - we have to all agree he is a better choice on a 2-3 yr view than Shiel. Not convinced EssenDONE will see much benefit from his inclusion - takes 24-30 players to get to a GF.

That's (Hawthorn) more about holding on too long.

Perhaps being a little greedy and trying to sneak in one more flag, when they could have gone harder at a reload of younger players two or three years back, conceded a few flag chances, but been on the rise again now.

Then again - maybe trying to capitalise on their experienced core for the last few years was the right thing to do and it just didn't pay off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how long he's signed for but I hope it's 5 years..
Chuck’s daughter called it his retirement fund. Bet that warmed the collective hearts of his new club.

That's (Hawthorn) more about holding on too long.

Perhaps being a little greedy and trying to sneak in one more flag, when they could have gone harder at a reload of younger players two or three years back, conceded a few flag chances, but been on the rise again now.

Then again - maybe trying to capitalise on their experienced core for the last few years was the right thing to do and it just didn't pay off.

You are probably right on both counts :thumbsu:

All lies....lawyers are still at lunch till 2...except if theyre at the golf club
Only do lunch meetings, usually see me through until close of business.

Yet we have coaches and players who argue that players have too much downtime during the week. Bolton's quotes about how important players use this time positively instead of just sitting around playing XBox which is again supported by the grow in number of players with Twich channels live streaming their gameplay.
Coaches are not psychologists, and to be a top level coach is to be exacting, to make demands that are unreasonable and to watch on as their players seek to fulfill them. I would be completely unsurprised if coaches and psychologists treating individuals outside the AFL system had wildly different opinions as to what a healthy amount of time fixated on something so all consuming would be; in fact, I'd be astounded if their expectations lined up at all.

And Bolts sounds like an old bloke lamenting how in his day kids went outside to the juice bar instead of the arcade.

You're opinion is fair enough JP, but I think we ended up with Walsh, McGovern, Stocker and Adelaide's 2019 1st.
To me, especially for the medium/long term, this puts us in front....

Yes and JP said it in his last sentence. We were dealt this hand , draft / trading machinations aside , so let’s deal with it . Can’t wait until round 1.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back