No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Library near my mum's was throwing out some good books for 20c, picked up a few rippers, including Seabiscuit (which I have stated, it's a ripper btw) and Mad Mick's' autobiography After The 2010 Pies flag season.

Always been an avid reader/collector of footy books, especially bios. Dr Allen Aylett's My Game - A Life in Football was one of the very best I read, if I accept his version of events, the VFL had no choice but to shunt South Melbourne off to Sydney at the time, otherwise they would have died (and probably several other VFL clubs who were broke and saved by the national TV deal that eventually happened)

I think in hindsight, Fitzroy probably could have been saved if Ross Oakley wasn't so merger keen, but South's relocation was the only way to save that club and did save the league (not that it would be of much comfort to fans who were against the move)

Would love someone to actually come clean and pen the actual events of the Gird and Dank doping regime, cause it's still a myriad of lies and half truths, probably wouldn't happen due to Court Suppression orders from WADA/ASADA and the guilty parties, but it would be much better than a sleazy foxtel/channel 9 produced mini-series, which you just know is going to happen, (with Stephen Curry playing James Hird, no doubt)

The Library near my mum's was throwing out some good books for 20c, picked up a few rippers, including Seabiscuit (which I have stated, it's a ripper btw) and Mad Mick's' autobiography After The 2010 Pies flag season.

Always been an avid reader/collector of footy books, especially bios. Dr Allen Aylett's My Game - A Life in Football was one of the very best I read, if I accept his version of events, the VFL had no choice but to shunt South Melbourne off to Sydney at the time, otherwise they would have died (and probably several other VFL clubs who were broke and saved by the national TV deal that eventually happened)

I think in hindsight, Fitzroy probably could have been saved if Ross Oakley wasn't so merger keen, but South's relocation was the only way to save that club and did save the league (not that it would be of much comfort to fans who were against the move)

Would love someone to actually come clean and pen the actual events of the Gird and Dank doping regime, cause it's still a myriad of lies and half truths, probably wouldn't happen due to Court Suppression orders from WADA/ASADA and the guilty parties, but it would be much better than a sleazy foxtel/channel 9 produced mini-series, which you just know is going to happen, (with Stephen Curry playing James Hird, no doubt)

I was way too young when Fitzroy went down, it really pisses me off still to this day. The AFL had a viable and willing option in Nth Melbourne, it would have kept so much more of the Fitzroy history alive, but the AFL needed to save their baby, and it did.

I was way too young when Fitzroy went down, it really pisses me off still to this day. The AFL had a viable and willing option in Nth Melbourne, it would have kept so much more of the Fitzroy history alive, but the AFL needed to save their baby, and it did.
At the time of the proposed merger, North had just won a premiership therefore other teams felt such a merger would have made North too strong. You could see the logic at the time. There was a few handy players on offer at Fitzroy, which would have given North a fair bit of depth.

The Brisbane Bears were coming off 2 consecutive finals series at the time & although they had a good group of young kids starting to show some good form, their depth was not great, with some of their experienced players getting near the end of their career.

I believe it was a decision made by the AFL to make sure Brisbane stayed competitive, a move which seemed to back fire in the short term (they won the wooden spoon in 1998), but paid dividends a few years later. Interest in the Bears was growing as a result of being competitive & playing finals, but Brisbaneites can be a touch fickle (even the Broncos saw a downturn in attendances in the late '90s, early '00s due to indifferent form) & a sustained period near the bottom of the ladder could have been fatal for the Bears.

I believe it was a decision made by the AFL to make sure Brisbane stayed competitive, a move which seemed to back fire in the short term (they won the wooden spoon in 1998), but paid dividends a few years later. Interest in the Bears was growing as a result of being competitive & playing finals, but Brisbaneites can be a touch fickle (even the Broncos saw a downturn in attendances in the late '90s, early '00s due to indifferent form) & a sustained period near the bottom of the ladder could have been fatal for the Bears.

Spot on in every sense. Even now the Broncos have to run game night ticket promotions that would make you cringe (last year they averaged 31234 in a 52,500 capacity stadium). Then again, I think the NRL is losing popularity beyond State of Origin. That and the sport as a whole is much easier to watch on television than at the actual game whereas AFL is the opposite (though still good on television, obviously).

Lions averaged 18,406 attendance in a 40k capacity stadium (would rank 4th in NRL).

Spot on in every sense. Even now the Broncos have to run game night ticket promotions that would make you cringe (last year they averaged 31234 in a 52,500 capacity stadium). Then again, I think the NRL is losing popularity beyond State of Origin. That and the sport as a whole is much easier to watch on television than at the actual game whereas AFL is the opposite (though still good on television, obviously).

Lions averaged 18,406 attendance in a 40k capacity stadium (would rank 4th in NRL).
I've always said that the NRL is predominantly a TV game. All the action takes place within a 100 metre area, so it is easy for TV cameras to keep up with what is going on. Not much happens off camera in contrast to our game where the location of the ball is only a part of the whole story.

The NRL have been kicking own goals since the Super League debacle back in the '90s & the Lions 2001-2003 3-peat came at an ideal time for Aussie Rules in Qld. When the Lions are up & about the Gabba can really go off & now is probably an opportune time for the Lions to start climbing the ladder while the NRL is putting out fires left, right & centre.

I've always said that the NRL is predominantly a TV game. All the action takes place within a 100 metre area, so it is easy for TV cameras to keep up with what is going on. Not much happens off camera in contrast to our game where the location of the ball is only a part of the whole story.

The NRL have been kicking own goals since the Super League debacle back in the '90s & the Lions 2001-2003 3-peat came at an ideal time for Aussie Rules in Qld. When the Lions are up & about the Gabba can really go off & now is probably an opportune time for the Lions to start climbing the ladder while the NRL is putting out fires left, right & centre.
Lions are poised to be decent again, up to them to carry it through

Rugby League should be phased out anyway, and proper rugby (Union) gain it's rightful place of pre-eminence. Union is the truly international rugby code; only Australia really take league seriously. If all our top rugby talent were playing Union, the Wallabies would have the depth behind them to be competitive again.

At the time, I thought the whole Scully trade had the whiff of AFL "optics" management.

I'm betting that the whole 'he might never play again' was just part of the ruse to get him to the club he wanted to go to, and for there to be lowered scrutiny on the background as to why a well-credentialed number 1 draft pick was being handed to the Hawks for a future 4th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the time, I thought the whole Scully trade had the whiff of AFL "optics" management.

I'm betting that the whole 'he might never play again' was just part of the ruse to get him to the club he wanted to go to, and for there to be lowered scrutiny on the background as to why a well-credentialed number 1 draft pick was being handed to the Hawks for a future 4th.

Surely the Giants were seriously eorried about him long term, other than the injury, I’ve never heard anything negative about Scully.

He would of been great for us.

Surely the Giants were seriously eorried about him long term, other than the injury, I’ve never heard anything negative about Scully.

He would of been great for us.

No arguments that he would have been great for us - would've been awesome (esp for a future 4th rounder).

Just think it was a forced trade - because of the salary cap - and there were a lot of machinations behind the scenes.

AFL basically says to Giants - in addition to losing Shiel - you have to trade one of your top 5 contracted players to maange their cap. They didn't want to lose anyone but were forced to push Scully. But they worked with the AFL to get him to his club of choice.

No arguments that he would have been great for us - would've been awesome (esp for a future 4th rounder).

Just think it was a forced trade - because of the salary cap - and there were a lot of machinations behind the scenes.

AFL basically says to Giants - in addition to losing Shiel - you have to trade one of your top 5 contracted players to maange their cap. They didn't want to lose anyone but were forced to push Scully. But they worked with the AFL to get him to his club of choice.
Then we removed his reason for choosing them.

Reform Fitzroy like the NRL did with South Sydney. Send them to Tasmania and you avoid the North-South fight that will occur in Tasmania.

Reform Fitzroy like the NRL did with South Sydney. Send them to Tasmania and you avoid the North-South fight that will occur in Tasmania.
You can't have two Lions sides. Fitzroy won't accept being called anything else. The other issue with that is it's been far too long.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

https://www.insidesport.com.au/news/two-year-ban-for-racist-afl-fan-522965

Interesting times. Great stance by RFC they need to be applauded to stamp this crap out of the game both as players and fans.

I don't mean to sound too harsh. But honestly a two year ban was soft.

I was at the game and if I had young kids there I would have had to leave. The Richmond fans around us were beyond feral. The highlight was dead silence from them in the 3rd quarter and then abusing Carlton supporters leaving early in the 4th. Completely classless and getting home to hear about the fight didn't surprise me in the slightest.

The most frustrating part for me is how the media jump on the ALeague when fans misbehave and make it out like the world is ending. But a two year ban for an act that could cost someone their life is fine????

Ridiculous to me

I don't mean to sound too harsh. But honestly a two year ban was soft.

I was at the game and if I had young kids there I would have had to leave. The Richmond fans around us were beyond feral. The highlight was dead silence from them in the 3rd quarter and then abusing Carlton supporters leaving early in the 4th. Completely classless and getting home to hear about the fight didn't surprise me in the slightest.

The most frustrating part for me is how the media jump on the ALeague when fans misbehave and make it out like the world is ending. But a two year ban for an act that could cost someone their life is fine????

Ridiculous to me

I think you are getting your wires crossed here, the two year ban was for the racist member posting about Liam Ryan.

The young man in the fight has been fined and has been charged by police.

Was referring to this incident so maybe a mixup and it was a three year ban.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/64b62fb86e7170aab52e30115aae04bb

The AFL banning players is a total waste of time, as far as I’m aware, there is no way of enforcing it, but it’s a good gesture.

The guy suspended for making the racist comments was a member, so his membership was cancelled for 2 years.

Hopefully our courts give an acceptable punishment to those punks, but like the AFL tribunal, too much emphasis is placed on the injury/outcome rather than the act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back