No Opposition Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

teagueyubeauty

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
I hope Liam Pickering takes some heat for this, player manager leeches are a scourge.

The pressure he placed Tom under by asking for such ludicrous terms most likely meant he had unrealistic personal pressure to perform to a level at age 20 that mentally he couldn’t cope with.

All the best Tom, hope you get better and live a fulfilling life whatever you do.

HARKER

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Carlton
I hope Liam Pickering takes some heat for this, player manager leeches are a scourge.

The pressure he placed Tom under by asking for such ludicrous terms most likely meant he had unrealistic personal pressure to perform to a level at age 20 that mentally he couldn’t cope with.

All the best Tom, hope you get better and live a fulfilling life whatever you do.
You don't know that It's Pickering's fault.
Maybe Tom simply has depression, with or without football. Let's see.

Funny that I looked at the VFL results this morning, saw TBoyds stats and thought to myself; Reckon he'll retire soon.

Tom may have had a short career, but boy is he going to be able to tell his kids a good story. :)

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
AFL Club
Carlton
At the dark moments Tom has faced (and may well continue to do so), he can take comfort and pride that he gave long suffering and old and elderly Doggies supporters one of the most happy and wonderful moments of their lives.

Depression and Mental Health issues need to spoken up more, especially in AFL/Pro Male sports.

And I think we need to be more mindful about what we type about players online, especially young kids struggling in confidence.

Look after yourself Tommy, your 2016 GF performance will be the stuff of footy folklore and Western Bulldogs history.

Wickzki

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PDX Blazers, Angels, Patriots, MCFC
Agree with player managers in general but feel you're being very harsh on Pickering here.

He did what all player managers are supposed to do - get the best contract for his client possible. A player agent can only accept what is offered to him so the Dogs played a part in it too. In doing so he set Boyd up for life. Unfortunately, the contract also set Boyd up for failure. Still, he won a premiership for the Dogs and given how rare they are at the Dogs he will go down as a champion of the club.

Now he can focus on his life, his health, and committing to things that he himself feels he is capable of without undue pressure from beyond his immediate family and friends circle. He'll live a good life from here - or he should anyway (dependent upon the demons).

Wickzki

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
sounds a bit happily ever after, wick........
Pretty much. He won a premiership, was a hero for that club, and nobody can take away that achievement. Now he can do whatever he wants now.

Those who question whether or not he was worth the money they paid him miss the point. It's impossible to put a price tag on what he helped them achieve.

I just hope that he finds the inner peace and health everyone deserves.

Wickzki

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
speaking of missing the point I think it was suggested the mercenary dog pickering had coerced boyd into situations that were detrimental to his mental health
Such as? Correct me if I'm wrong but the point teagueyubeauty made is that Pickering put undue pressure on Boyd to perform by securing the contract that Boyd ended up signing with the Dogs.

I maintain Pickering did what all player managers do - get the best contract for his client. In that regard the Dogs are also at fault by offering him that amount of money. Nobody put a gun to their head and told them that they had to offer that amount. Yet the Dogs got exactly what they paid for - the club's second premiership.

If it was the contract, then every player manager that ever lived is at fault of doing the same thing. Otherwise, what situations was Boyd coerced into?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thylacine60

Make me an Admin!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Insert Token EPL Club

pretty obvious what he is incinerating.........

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
I think we can look a bit further than just Pickering, our football media didn't mind spruiking a story or 2 about Tom, a whole lot of pressure was placed on him. He was built up too big, too quickly and when that happens, certain building blocks are missed out during the construction.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
AFL Club
Carlton
Such as? Correct me if I'm wrong but the point teagueyubeauty made is that Pickering put undue pressure on Boyd to perform by securing the contract that Boyd ended up signing with the Dogs.

I maintain Pickering did what all player managers do - get the best contract for his client. In that regard the Dogs are also at fault by offering him that amount of money. Nobody put a gun to their head and told them that they had to offer that amount. Yet the Dogs got exactly what they paid for - the club's second premiership.

If it was the contract, then every player manager that ever lived is at fault of doing the same thing. Otherwise, what situations was Boyd coerced into?
Can't speak for thylacine60 but my reading of the argument is that Pickering was far more concerned/greedy for the massive % in agent fees he would get from Boyd's contract, instead of looking out for the lad's mental and emotional welfare, and what would have been in his best interests as a young, inexperienced player just making his way in the game.

If you are a fan of The Simpsons especially in the early decade when it was good, you can compare the likes of Pickering to Lionel Hutz.

Metalcrusher

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Blackburn United EPL ... sorta
At the dark moments Tom has faced (and may well continue to do so), he can take comfort and pride that he gave long suffering and old and elderly Doggies supporters one of the most happy and wonderful moments of their lives.

Depression and Mental Health issues need to spoken up more, especially in AFL/Pro Male sports.

And I think we need to be more mindful about what we type about players online, especially young kids struggling in confidence.

Look after yourself Tommy, your 2016 GF performance will be the stuff of footy folklore and Western Bulldogs history.
:thumbsu::thumbsu:

AFL Club
Carlton
Front bar has Akermanis on tonight, some highlights of his goals he put through from ridiculous angles a lot on his left side too at full pace, did it on the big stage regularly too bloke was a freak...
Good bit of chat on his relationship with Lethal as well. Him and Lethal, 2 bulls in the same paddock.

Top Bottom