No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quoted too much in my previous post so it was deleted, but for everyone's clarity:

You didn't include a link to the article ...

Article posting rules apply site wide for all.

I quoted too much in my previous post so it was deleted, but for everyone's clarity:

I will say for the last time, there is no rule that states a player can't be traded to another club, and or renegotiate their contract

As an example, the Betts scenario you posted

If you can find a rule, happy to be proven wrong

I will say for the last time, there is no rule that states a player can't be traded to another club, and or renegotiate their contract

Oops, sorry, I must have misread your post and was arguing something else.

A player can be traded, and they can renegotiate a contract, but the original amount must go into the salary cap.
So if the Swans were to trade Franklin, they can't get a discount off their cap beyond what the other club pay.

A player can be traded, and they can renegotiate a contract, but the original amount must go into the salary cap.
So if the Swans were to trade Franklin, they can't get a discount off their cap beyond what the other club pay.
Yep, even if someone thought he had two good years left, not sure you would risk $1mil a year to find out. Swans would need to cover some of his salary if they want him gone.

Correct. This applies to restricted free agents
The rule exists to stop a club from putting forward a lucrative long term contract to stop the original club from being able to match it and then changing it later.
Also the original club receives compo based on the contract.
Having said that I am unsure why Wells was allowed to renegotiate his contract, maybe he wasn't restricted. But North still got compo based on the original contract.

As I’ve come in late to this, sorry if I’m a bit off. The rules regarding Sydney having to include Franklins $$$$ in the salary cap were brought in after the fact and were made in spite, but as I read it, it referred to if Franklin retired that the money must be included in the cap. Does it say anywhere that it has to remain if he’s traded?

As it’s been a long time and the AFL world has moved on, I doubt there would be an issue if he was traded. I also always wondered with the $$$$ if Franklin retired and the money had to be still in the cap, couldn’t the Swans just spread it out over several players? I’m not sure where the issue is here, whys it a big deal?

As I’ve come in late to this, sorry if I’m a bit off. The rules regarding Sydney having to include Franklins $$$$ in the salary cap were brought in after the fact and were made in spite, but as I read it, it referred to if Franklin retired that the money must be included in the cap. Does it say anywhere that it has to remain if he’s traded?

As it’s been a long time and the AFL world has moved on, I doubt there would be an issue if he was traded. I also always wondered with the $$$$ if Franklin retired and the money had to be still in the cap, couldn’t the Swans just spread it out over several players? I’m not sure where the issue is here, whys it a big deal?

It wasn’t after the fact, but perhaps it was only clarified before the AFL signed the contract off.

Essentially, Buddy’s initial FA contract has to go in somebody’s cap. So if the Swans did trade him, and the new club were not going to cover the approx $4 million over the next 3 years, then Swans would have to cover the excess in their cap. But if the new club were happy to take it all on, the Swans would be free.

The rule is there to stop rorting of the FA bidding and compensation system.

While there may have been an element of spite involved, I think it was mostly just practicalities. If you don't have a rule like this "Buddy" rule in place, then what's to stop a club offering a player 20 million over 15 years? Then, when the player retires after 7 or 8 the club says "oh, he's retired, no need to pay the last 10 million". The size of the offer is enough to prevent other clubs from matching, but really, it's an amount that all concerned know won't have to be paid.

Telling clubs that in such circiumstances, the amounts will be counted against their salary cap for the entire duration of the initial contract, prevents this sort of rorting.

At the time, I rememeber thinking "there's no way Buddy will still be running around - or at least as a productive member of the team, at the end of that contract". You only have to look at his output for this year, the Swans are in a bit of bother having to carry him - or at least his salary - for the next 3 years.

Good to see Carlton with an E, shared last place with Adelaide on Knightmare's ESPN analysis of the trade period.
Tough mark for a team that did very little.
Tough on the Crows as well -got a 2nd rounder for Keith and shed 4 players who played in their reserves.

In contract Buckanara gave us a B

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Rice delisted by the Aints, wonder if it would've been different had he chose us over them, ah well!

See the source image

Good to see Carlton with an E, shared last place with Adelaide on Knightmare's ESPN analysis of the trade period.
Tough mark for a team that did very little.
Tough on the Crows as well -got a 2nd rounder for Keith and shed 4 players who played in their reserves.

In contract Buckanara gave us a B

Typical Filth supporter.

HUN gave us a B.

hannebery breaks his foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back