No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullshit. Give the list position to someone desperate for a chance, not someone looking to perpetuate their lifestyle.

Well to be fair, a lot of the so called negative influences in Bennell's life were in WA it seems, and he has taken a massive pay cut to try keep his AFL dream alive, and from all reports has really worked his ass off training with the Dees.

Having said that, if Richmond couldn't save Ben Cousins from himself and his troubled lifestyle, it's really hard to see Melbourne doing the same for Bennelll.

But then again, who could have imagined the stunning success of Marlion Pickett at the Tigers after spending some time in the big house..

I am cynical as everyone else that this gamble will be pay off for The Dees, but let's be honest, Freo during the Ross Lyon era was hardly the most positive or nurturing environment for a troubled player like Bennell (Cam McCarthy being another example), HB has so much natural talent, it would be great if he could actually get his body right and has the will power to lay off the grog/substance abuse issues.

Well to be fair, a lot of the so called negative influences in Bennell's life were in WA it seems, and he has taken a massive pay cut to try keep his AFL dream alive, and from all reports has really worked his ass off training with the Dees.

Having said that, if Richmond couldn't save Ben Cousins from himself and his troubled lifestyle, it's really hard to see Melbourne doing the same for Bennelll.

But then again, who could have imagined the stunning success of Marlion Pickett at the Tigers after spending some time in the big house..

I am cynical as everyone else that this gamble will be pay off for The Dees, but let's be honest, Freo during the Ross Lyon era was hardly the most positive or nurturing environment for a troubled player like Bennell (Cam McCarthy being another example), HB has so much natural talent, it would be great if he could actually get his body right and has the will power to lay off the grog/substance abuse issues.
I know next to nothing of Bennell's upbringing. What I do know is that there are 1000's of youngsters that would thrive in an AFL environment, some of whom might even find the level if provided that golden opportunity, of which Bennell has had two before getting stuck into his third.

I know next to nothing of Bennell's upbringing. What I do know is that there are 1000's of youngsters that would thrive in an AFL environment, some of whom might even find the level if provided that golden opportunity, of which Bennell has had two before getting stuck into his third.
But there are not 1000 youngsters out there that could be a top 10 player in the comp and Bennell if fit could easily be that. Getting him fit is the hard part.

For a club that is chasing it's first flag since the 50's taking a chance on someone like Bennell who could be the difference between a finals win or not . I don't blame them for taking a chance.

But there are not 1000 youngsters out there that could be a top 10 player in the comp and Bennell if fit could easily be that. Getting him fit is the hard part.

For a club that is chasing it's first flag since the 50's taking a chance on someone like Bennell who could be the difference between a finals win or not . I don't blame them for taking a chance.
See, here's the thing; you don't know that, and you definitely can't prove it.

All I'm saying is that it is exceedingly unfair to them, those people who were overlooked, those people who would put their hearts completely and wholly into becoming the best footballer they could be. This is Bennell's third chance; his first two, you could argue, is fair enough, going from a development mire at GC to Fremantle, but over there he continued the same attitudes to training and extra-curricular activities off field.

This is one, maybe two opportunities he's taken from someone else. I do not give a stuff about the club's perspective here. If he was willing to work his arse off, and do his utmost to prove he wants it, that would be one thing; there have always been journeymen at AFL level, who have gotten the most out of themselves and have put in the time and the effort yet are not quite at the level. But until he does that, he's behaving selfishly, IMO.

Definitely think that having Ross publicly supporting him so much, from a personal position, may not have been the best approach. Mayhaps Harley took advantage of a situation were the bloke in charge saw him as a lost soul/charity case and was willing to forgive many transgressions.

For his sake, I hope Melbourne can provide an environment where he wants to do the right thing for the team/club, and works hard to repay the faith.

Gut feel though, this doesn't end in anything other than another 1-2 years of persistent injuries punctuated with sporadic VFL highlights.

How so Alphonse.

He's only played ONE game which happened to be the GF.

Personally I wouldn't call that a stunning success, far from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

don't think having compassion for someone suggests you are soft................

Because there is video of "past drug abuse" the mantra seems to be he doesn't have real mental health problems and such deserves no sympathy (think everyone who has problems is Ben Cousins by default) that's why i think feeling empathy may make people think I am soft.

Losing your dad to cancer, then facing cancer would rattle anyone. For a young man wearing the weight of a lot of expectations who may be struggling to begin with.....bad scenario.

i know it’s only Kim Hag (who has the same track record as Tom Browne In WA) but it could very well be curtains for Hogan at Freo (and possibly the AFL)

Would be a real shame if true, but geez, you have to wonder if Freo actually bothered doing their due diligence when recruiting troubled players like Bennell and Hogan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back