No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d say that that the measures put in place all across the world in relation to heading the ball are just a stepping stone to more meaningful change.

I can only assume the measures that are being implemented are designed to minimise exposure at the most vulnerable levels and to soften up the general public.
What I really, truly hope is that stuff like this over time leads people to a greater understanding of both how hardy and how fragile human beings are. We are at once giants, capable of extraordinary things, yet we are brittle, frail things, weakened by time and by the vicissitudes of life.

We too easily shrug off injury to the young.

There is nothing rude in my response EJ, but what qualifications do you to have to decide it’s nonsense?

The heading bans are coming in, all across Europe, the States and Australia, after strong evidence from studies done from UEFA.

The major study showed professional Soccer players have a 3.5 times higher chance of dyeing of brain disease and are 5 times more likely to develop Alzheimer’s.

Ah I honestly wasn't aware of that, and I have no problem with you calling me out on my lack of qualifications, which is true.

Thank you for pointing out the stats abour CTE in Soccer, i will have to be a lot more open minded about it now, have you seen the movie Concussion starting Will Smith which journals an humble Doctor from Africa who came to America and did was the first medic to observe and make public the findings that American Football/Gridiron and it's helmets played a significant part in retired players getting Dementia/Alzheimer's and other braindiseases prematurely (and which the NFL tried to cover up)
It is a very good movie, but makes for uncomfortable viewing.

I am genuinely surprised (and saddened) to read about the impact of Headers can have on Soccer players, the whole dynamic of that code would forever be changed if they banned the use of Headers.

It's a very important conversation to have though mate

Pfffft, respectful discourse about serious issues without belittling those opposing.

What has happened to this place?

Pfffft, respectful discourse about serious issues without belittling those opposing.

What has happened to this place?

Maybe its a Leap Year Day kind of thIng ?

giphy.gif

Has Kenny had anything to do with a premiership ?
Fitzroy and Geelong days were nada as a player for him.
He seems a good bloke but this looks kind of desperate.
Did he not learn from Peter Schwab and Mick Malhouse about making similar type statements in the media?

Aim high by all means, but that’s Kim Jong level rhetoric from Kenny and Kotchie. Smacks of desperation.
Kennys in strife I feel

Naturally, he has been there long enough and probably underachieved with the list he has got.

Also I don't like Charlie Dixon, he is an obnoxious lout, like Biff Tannen from Back to The Future.

I recall a couple of years ago he smacked down one of our players and situated near the Cheersquad, they gave him some much deserved stick and it got to him cauae he gave them the finger. We had the last laugh by winning that game, though.

Quite Frankly I think he is a player that is if not toxic, than at least an bad/irresponsible influence on a young, impressionable playing group.

Has Kenny had anything to do with a premiership ?
Fitzroy and Geelong days were nada as a player for him.
He seems a good bloke but this looks kind of desperate.
Did he not learn from Peter Schwab and Mick Malhouse about making similar type statements in the media?
he was considered the best candidate to not coach his own team before he got port.........

Ah I honestly wasn't aware of that, and I have no problem with you calling me out on my lack of qualifications, which is true.

Thank you for pointing out the stats abour CTE in Soccer, i will have to be a lot more open minded about it now, have you seen the movie Concussion starting Will Smith which journals an humble Doctor from Africa who came to America and did was the first medic to observe and make public the findings that American Football/Gridiron and it's helmets played a significant part in retired players getting Dementia/Alzheimer's and other braindiseases prematurely (and which the NFL tried to cover up)
It is a very good movie, but makes for uncomfortable viewing.

I am genuinely surprised (and saddened) to read about the impact of Headers can have on Soccer players, the whole dynamic of that code would forever be changed if they banned the use of Headers.

It's a very important conversation to have though mate

I haven't seen the movie but have heard of good things. I have seen bits and pieces of documentaries which show that the NFL knew of the seriousness of head knocks yet ignored it and there is an accusation that the same has happened in the AFL.

After reading your post last night i did some googling and saw that not only was the ban/restrictions in Australia and the States but pushing across Europe which was a surprise to me.

Its also worth noting that each country seems to be tackling the issues differently. The UK is putting restrictions on headers in younger levels that doesn't include matches as far as im aware and the restrictions seem to be gone by under 14s.

Its amazing what people will hide/cover up to keep the $$$$$ rolling in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is nothing rude in my response EJ, but what qualifications do you to have to decide it’s nonsense?

The heading bans are coming in, all across Europe, the States and Australia, after strong evidence from studies done from UEFA.

The major study showed professional Soccer players have a 3.5 times higher chance of dyeing of brain disease and are 5 times more likely to develop Alzheimer’s.

I suppose the question that bears asking though is - is that increased likelihood of neurological issues a direct result of heading the ball, or are there other factors at play. For example - are professional soccer players earning good money 3.5 times more likely to be engaging in illicit/recreational substances than the ordinary members of the public involved in the survey?

I don't think the study is necessarily conclusive, though it would certainly warrant more discussion and research.

I suppose the question that bears asking though is - is that increased likelihood of neurological issues a direct result of heading the ball, or are there other factors at play. For example - are professional soccer players earning good money 3.5 times more likely to be engaging in illicit/recreational substances than the ordinary members of the public involved in the survey?

I don't think the study is necessarily conclusive, though it would certainly warrant more discussion and research.
Not to offend or imply this is where you were going, but there's a similarity between what you're saying here and the defenses of cigarettes and asbestos companies; we didn't cause your cancer, it was that other thing.

The final sentence is correct.

Not to offend or imply this is where you were going, but there's a similarity between what you're saying here and the defenses of cigarettes and asbestos companies; we didn't cause your cancer, it was that other thing.

The final sentence is correct.

It's a devil's advocate viewpoint, I don't know enough about the subject matter to provide anything close to an expert conclusion. Just pointing out that determining how much more likely a soccer player is to suffer from a particular illness doesn't actually offer any real insight into what aspect of their activity/lifestyle is the true cause.

It's a devil's advocate viewpoint, I don't know enough about the subject matter to provide anything close to an expert conclusion. Just pointing out that determining how much more likely a soccer player is to suffer from a particular illness doesn't actually offer any real insight into what aspect of their activity/lifestyle is the true cause.

It's the CTE findings postmortem in several soccer players which is then linked to dementia. Nothing like the NFL for evidence, particularly when modern footballs are much more lightweight than those used 40 years ago.

Like you, without being an expert, i see it as pretty damming, i only gave a small quote from the study, there were several brain related illnesses that the footballers had considerably larger rates of, MND, Alzheimers, Brain disease and dementia compared to ordinary people. Considering its a sport that isn't overly physical in terms of head knocks and concussion, it does point in a clear direction.

The study does also make it clear that this is only the beginning and there is a lot more research that needs to be done, it also pointed out that the footballers had much lower rates of heart disease and cancers.

I think your comment regarding drug use is quite a long bow to draw, considering the amount of drug use today in the general community.

Taranto shoulder, 5 months......

For the first time in their history they were having a blessed run with injuries in the preseason....until now.

Not to worry, they’ll just plonk some other handy players back in from long term injury such as Ward

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For the first time in their history they were having a blessed run with injuries in the preseason....until now.

Not to worry, they’ll just plonk some other handy players back in from long term injury such as Ward

Even with Taranto's shoulder & Williams' achilles (& Tomlinson leaving) they've still got Kelly, Coniglio, Ward, Whitfield, Hopper, Hately, Green, Caldwell plus Greene does alright in the centre too if need be.

Ward isn’t a plonker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back