No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest, does anyone know what exactly were the doubts concerning Josh Daicos' drafting that had him go at pick 57?

Yesterday, there was a contest at our CHB where he took the ball clean from the ground, and kept our players sitting back with the threat of him cutting in and going; it was almost a fakeout, he'd make to go and just didn't 4 times in the space of about 3 seconds. And it was a fair dinkum threat, too; it wasn't just our boys hanging back, but he'd almost take a foot before completely changing direction again.

Mental agility, can find the ball, is fast and clean.

Similar to the Silvagni boys, I believe - held back from the U/18s comp until his draft year, so clubs had less to go on. Smart move, he'd have known he was getting picked up by the Pies.

Think he was also one of those low production types that tend to slide as well.

Definitely looks a player though.

This post has nothing to do with the WABlues or all the decent Sandgroper Carlton fans, but I am most amused by all the tantrums and throwing cots our of the pram by WA Footy fans (mostly Weagles btw) over the Grand Final being held at the Gabba and not Optus. Beats me where they got this arrogant entitlement where Perth have the moral right to host the Shifted Grand Final lol.

Most of that state just comes across as babies over this issue lol

2020 Premiership Cup :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Eg4cpAaUYAE7FI_

This post has nothing to do with the WABlues or all the decent Sandgroper Carlton fans, but I am most amused by all the tantrums and throwing cots our of the pram by WA Footy fans (mostly Weagles btw) over the Grand Final being held at the Gabba and not Optus. Beats me where they got this arrogant entitlement where Perth have the moral right to host the Shifted Grand Final lol.

Can you not comprehend that their contribution to the game, over many many decades in terms of talent and grass roots support, warrants their expressing displeasure at today's ridiculous decision? Come-on, you're a lefty, you of all people should appreciate that they may feel somewhat unappreciated?

Can you not comprehend that their contribution to the game, over many many decades in terms of talent and grass roots support, warrants their expressing displeasure at today's ridiculous decision? Come-on, you're a lefty, you of all people should appreciate that they may feel somewhat unappreciated?

Simple. Brisbane/Queensland Govt did most of the heavy lifting to salvage this season from being cancelled outright.

The AFL is and always has been a political beast (of sorts) and the QLD Premier played the game far more astutely than her WA counterpart.

Anyhow, is it not good for the game long term if the AFL/Aussie Rules can take a stranglehold in Brisbane/QLD with the Lions and Suns rising.

To quote the great Vulcan Spock.
"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few"

Right call for the game and code OMHO

Simple. Brisbane/Queensland Govt did most of the heavy lifting to salvage this season from being cancelled outright.

The AFL is and always has been a political beast (of sorts) and the QLD Premier played the game far more astutely than her WA counterpart.

Anyhow, is it not good for the game long term if the AFL/Aussie Rules can take a stranglehold in Brisbane/QLD with the Lions and Suns rising.

I don’t believe you when you imply that you support today’s decision on pragmatic grounds. Rather, I opine that you feel good about today’s decision because you sympathise with GC; which is ok, so long as you recognise that WA folk whinging about today’s stupid decision feel similar to you, insofar as it relates to their State and clubs.

Maybe you can help me out. The ones I put in the showers at the Airbnb's fog up. How can I avoid this?

/s
Turn them off, that’ll fix em

Does the AFL own all the grounds like Optus stadium, Gabba etc?

If they don't, then I'd imagine the Gabba would of been a lot cheaper than the new Optus stadium, allowing them a much needed greater profit margin.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Does the AFL own all the grounds like Optus stadium, Gabba etc?

If they don't, then I'd imagine the Gabba would of been a lot cheaper than the new Optus stadium, allowing them a much needed greater profit margin.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
There is no way the AFL makes important decisions on a commercial basis

As A WA Born and Bred Carlton supporter, I don't agree with some of the over the top whinging from mostly eagles supporters but most WA people have the view that Optus stadium is the best stadium in the country outside of the MCG, biggest capacity available and more likely to be able to run a full week of GF events to be attended by football loving people.

Will they be able to do the the same in Brisbane?

In saying that there are a lot of people in this country that think that in a normal year the GF should be played at a different venue each year and not just at the MCG. There are plenty of Vic's who come across with this arrogant entitlement where the MCG have the moral right to host the Grand Final and won't even consider a change in what is meant to be a national competition.

I don't think the decision has anything to do with football, it's politics. The Qld govt were very accommodating when it came to opening up hubs etc so that the season could continue. Looking forward, next season, who knows what will be happening with this virus and the season ahead?

If Gilligan says to Qld, thanks for the facilities, but the GF will be in Adelaide or Perth, I think next season if he goes back to Qld for assistance the response might offend.

By who, I am not referring to the World Health Organisation as they are likened to a deer without eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As A WA Born and Bred Carlton supporter, I don't agree with some of the over the top whinging from mostly eagles supporters but most WA people have the view that Optus stadium is the best stadium in the country outside of the MCG, biggest capacity available and more likely to be able to run a full week of GF events to be attended by football loving people.
I have a question. Do most WA people have the view that Optus stadium is the best stadium in the country outside of the MCG, or the best stadium period?

I ask, because the marginal difference is important when it comes to assessing how this decision is viewed, both prior to it and in its aftermath. If the government/people of WA thought/think that Optus is the best bar none, then it stands to reason that they viewed it as a done deal already, and that the AFL should really come to their senses and just make the decision that makes the most sense for everyone. If they view it as the best ground outside the MCG, the conclusion is not forgone, and they still have to make an attractive pitch to the AFL to get them to hold the grand final at Optus.
Will they be able to do the the same in Brisbane?

In saying that there are a lot of people in this country that think that in a normal year the GF should be played at a different venue each year and not just at the MCG. There are plenty of Vic's who come across with this arrogant entitlement where the MCG have the moral right to host the Grand Final and won't even consider a change in what is meant to be a national competition.
... and this is a bit of what I mean.

While I agree that Vics can get a bit precious about the possible removal of the GF from Melbourne, there is irony in the idea that the only reason the GF is not in WA is because the premier of the state treated it as a forgone conclusion. He felt they were shoe-ins, entitled to it, and that he need not really do very much beyond what has already been done.

Contrast that to QLD, who have moved heaven and earth for the AFL season to go ahead, who have opened up grounds and hotels to hubs, who have deliberately courted the AFL in their state. Now, you can certainly argue self-interest (they have to do something to compensate for the hit to the tourism sector from this thing) but the AFL in general is interested in what can be done for them, what influence is there to be obtained. Behind closed doors, the AFL establishment will have seen this entire season as a monumental opportunity to seize the hearts and minds of sports fans in QLD, and playing the GF at the Gabba - regardless of its inferiority to Perth - is pursuant to that.

I have a question. Do most WA people have the view that Optus stadium is the best stadium in the country outside of the MCG, or the best stadium period?

Easily the best stadium in Australia. I love the G but they actually got this stadium right, God knows they talked about building one for 20 bloody years.

Picture a smaller MCG with all the modern cons, good seating and viewing, transport is free with game ticket, lighting is second to none and the big screens are close to 4k resolution if they are not.

The West Aust Football Commission, who are the stake holders of the Eagles and Dockers ensured a good deal was reached to use the stadium with good profits coming back to the clubs. Were prepared to stay at Subiaco oval if money coming back to the clubs was poor.

Easily the best stadium in Australia. I love the G but they actually got this stadium right, God knows they talked about building one for 20 bloody years.

Picture a smaller MCG with all the modern cons, good seating and viewing, transport is free with game ticket, lighting is second to none and the big screens are close to 4k resolution if they are not.

The West Aust Football Commission, who are the stake holders of the Eagles and Dockers ensured a good deal was reached to use the stadium with good profits coming back to the clubs. Were prepared to stay at Subiaco oval if money coming back to the clubs was poor.
Having never been - and it certainly doesn't look like I'll be able to any time soon - I wouldn't know. I was hoping to go to the Perth test or see some of the T20 world cup.

For the purposes of what I'm saying, though, it's almost irrelevant to the argument I'm making whether or not Optus is the best stadium in the country. It's about the perception (which leads to the pitch WA made for the GF) rather than the reality.

Having never been - and it certainly doesn't look like I'll be able to any time soon - I wouldn't know. I was hoping to go to the Perth test or see some of the T20 world cup.

For the purposes of what I'm saying, though, it's almost irrelevant to the argument I'm making whether or not Optus is the best stadium in the country. It's about the perception (which leads to the pitch WA made for the GF) rather than the reality.

My response to the selection of Qld is above your first post, the selection $ wise should have been Perth, the selection politics wise was Qld and for good reason.

I have not been for the cricket but have heard it is bloody hot, night games and twilights may be in order. The way they have built the stadium, I don't believe it allows the Freo doctor to blow through to cool the place down. Hopefully will get back there to watch a cricket match in the future and enjoy the white sandy beaches.

I ask, because the marginal difference is important when it comes to assessing how this decision is viewed, both prior to it and in its aftermath. If the government/people of WA thought/think that Optus is the best bar none, then it stands to reason that they viewed it as a done deal already, and that the AFL should really come to their senses and just make the decision that makes the most sense for everyone. If they view it as the best ground outside the MCG, the conclusion is not forgone, and they still have to make an attractive pitch to the AFL to get them to hold the grand final at Optus.

... and this is a bit of what I mean.

While I agree that Vics can get a bit precious about the possible removal of the GF from Melbourne, there is irony in the idea that the only reason the GF is not in WA is because the premier of the state treated it as a forgone conclusion. He felt they were shoe-ins, entitled to it, and that he need not really do very much beyond what has already been done.

Contrast that to QLD, who have moved heaven and earth for the AFL season to go ahead, who have opened up grounds and hotels to hubs, who have deliberately courted the AFL in their state. Now, you can certainly argue self-interest (they have to do something to compensate for the hit to the tourism sector from this thing) but the AFL in general is interested in what can be done for them, what influence is there to be obtained. Behind closed doors, the AFL establishment will have seen this entire season as a monumental opportunity to seize the hearts and minds of sports fans in QLD, and playing the GF at the Gabba - regardless of its inferiority to Perth - is pursuant to that.

I don't think Mark McGowan ever thought it was a foregone conclusion that the GF would be at Optus. He said from day 1 that the health and safety of WA people came before anything else. WA would pitch for it but would not stick fat to their current policies.

WA also offered the AFL a chance to have a bigger hub here but everyone would need to do their 14 day quarantine.

At the end of the day it will be good for QLD footy, lets hope they can put on a reasonable spectacle.

My response to the selection of Qld is above your first post, the selection $ wise should have been Perth, the selection politics wise was Qld and for good reason.

I have not been for the cricket but have heard it is bloody hot, night games and twilights may be in order. The way they have built the stadium, I don't believe it allows the Freo doctor to blow through to cool the place down. Hopefully will get back there to watch a cricket match in the future and enjoy the white sandy beaches.

I was at the NZ test late last year when we had a run of 40 degrees days and it was ok in the shade but doesn't matter what stadium your are in, if its pushing 40 at a cricket ground you will be cooking.

On a normal 30 degrees day its a great stadium to watch cricket.

When I think we are a rabble I just glance at North. Seriously the 4 "untouchable" players I would be f*n pissed if we traded for them... Who would want them???

That's bullshit. Straight up bullshit.
They'd trade out Simpkin and Thomas but not Ziebell? Come on now.

It's more likely that no one would want those players....at least some of them.

I don't think Mark McGowan ever thought it was a foregone conclusion that the GF would be at Optus. He said from day 1 that the health and safety of WA people came before anything else. WA would pitch for it but would not stick fat to their current policies.
I agree. I heard some of his press conferences on the subject, and - as far as it goes - I think he's been honest the whole way along. I also think there's a lot of media bullshit happening in this space, on both a politics front and a sport-politics front. Luke Darcy called Mark McGowan a w***er because he refused to open the boarders for the AFL, and for the 'playing hard to get' line; this, on Triple M in Melbourne, as part of pregame coverage.

There's so much misinformation running around.

But what I'm talking about here isn't at the politics level; it's at the bottom level you mentioned in your post. Our opinions are shaped by what we consume, but there is an element of what I spoke about in that line. McGowan's played up to his public with it; you 'play hard to get' when you know you're valuable, attractive, and the public replicated this impression. They saw themselves as the natural place for this year's GF, and now that it isn't there's murmuring at the edges.
WA also offered the AFL a chance to have a bigger hub here but everyone would need to do their 14 day quarantine.

At the end of the day it will be good for QLD footy, lets hope they can put on a reasonable spectacle.
Again, I agree, and I'm not saying this to attack you or our other WA supporters. End of it all, we're Aussies.

When I think we are a rabble I just glance at North. Seriously the 4 "untouchable" players I would be f*n pissed if we traded for them... Who would want them???

Whyyyyy would you want any of them? Goldstein's done, Higgins is being kept together by tape, Cunnington's old and slow despite being very good, and Zieball has never lived up to any of his promise.

If this is their mindset, they're ****ed extremely badly.

Cunnington will be the only one under 30 when the season starts up again next year.

The other three would not be worth anything on the trade table, not sure if that is what makes them untouchable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back