No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike ockerts

Premiership Player
May 25, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
northern blues
By Monday we'll be sitting 4th after a poor month of footy and coming up against reasonable opposition at moments in their season when they are hitting their straps: ess, are, stk. Throw in plenty of injuries which are really affecting structures and a lull in intensity, and I think we have cause to have some hope yet. There is still a lot of footy to be played yet this season.

I hope more than any fellow blue bagger your right, time will tell mate, got to get tomorrow out of the way first ;)

My god there's some over the top bullshizen about Tom Hawkins.

Barely even made contact and it was in no way agressive.

small fine at most people imo

Was nothing like the ole Phil Carmen liverpool kiss style but wouldn't be suprised if he gets weeks for his troubles .

Nic Nat gets a week suspension for a tackle on Amon, Michael Christian says, Amon had his arms pinned, footage clearly shows how arm wasn't pinned.

Not sure how the AFL says accident happen in bumping but then can suspend a guy for a tackle.

About half the force of the contact on Andrew Coates from Greg Williams in 1997 - so I’d say 4 weeks wold be more than fair.
You know I was going to say don't bring Williams into it because it was 20 years ago but was hoping I wouldn't have to.

So, yeah. Williams was a s**t decision and we all know why he copped it and it was 20 years ago.

Doesn't mean Hawkins should be hung for barely making contact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know I was going to say don't bring Williams into it because it was 20 years ago but was hoping I wouldn't have to.

So, yeah. Williams was a s**t decision and we all know why he copped it and it was 20 years ago.

Doesn't mean Hawkins should be hung for barely making contact.

I understand your reasoning, so i don't completely disagree, but if they are serious about respect for umpires and the flow on effect for lower level competitions and junior football, a fine will not surfice.

A suspension of 4 weeks might be high, but warranted

Deliberately made contact with the umpire, cannot be tolerated for any reason. Accidental contact could be waived off with a fine, this cannot.

Also don’t believe his story about thinking it was his opponent, clumsy attempt to mitigate another brain fade from a bloke with a long history of stupid, off the ball, incidents.

Deliberately made contact with the umpire, cannot be tolerated for any reason. Accidental contact could be waived off with a fine, this cannot.

Also don’t believe his story about thinking it was his opponent, clumsy attempt to mitigate another brain fade from a bloke with a long history of stupid, off the ball, incidents.
The 'i thought it was an opponent' defence seems pretty flimsy imo. The AFL will want to send a message so he will be looking at a suspension of a week or two at most.

I understand your reasoning, so i don't completely disagree, but if they are serious about respect for umpires and the flow on effect for lower level competitions and junior football, a fine will not surfice.

A suspension of 4 weeks might be high, but warranted
I don't see it as anything nearly as bad as Selwwod/Hodge/Mitchell slagging the umps off two inches from their face.

I seen Selwood mouth the words "******* cheat" at umps more than once.

It's another high horse exercise and completly misses where disrespect for umps actually lives.

It's like the biting incident.

People getting knickers in a twist over incidents that aren't actually dangerous or likely to filter down to the lower levels, but work themselves into a lather about things they can moralise about.

I don't see it as anything nearly as bad as Selwwod/Hodge/Mitchell slagging the umps off two inches from their face.

I seen Selwood mouth the words "******* cheat" at umps more than once.

It's another high horse exercise and completly misses where disrespect for umps actually lives.
Umpires are wearing microphones, simple enough exercise for the AFL to stamp it out using the available evidence. Totally agree that it is unacceptable, would be more than happy for it to be removed from the game.

Completely different to deliberate physical contact. Slippery slope if you allow it, where do you draw the line? Can deliberate contact with an umpire be graded by the MRP?

Last edited:
It's like the biting incident.

People getting knickers in a twist over incidents that aren't actually dangerous or likely to filter down to the lower levels, but work themselves into a lather about things they can moralise about.
Human saliva can be very dangerous if it enters broken skin. The risk of serious infection is very high, check with any health professional.

Biting others should not be tolerated due to the injuries it can cause from the force of the bite, or an infection from saliva entering broken skin. If it is not immoral to deliberately cause that type of injury to an opponent, then sport has officially lost its way.

Not sure claiming that biting is disgusting and should not be deemed a legitimate tactic by the MRP is getting your knickers in a twist or moralising.

There’s a rumour on the main board that Lyon will be sacked by Wednesday so maybe that’s it

You just watch the Dockers go out and sign Alan Richardson right out from under St. Kilda's noses.

You just watch the Dockers go out and sign Alan Richardson right out from under St. Kilda's noses.
Saints couldn’t get that lucky a second time, could they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back