No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Buddy maybe?

Definitely another one. I think the Swans would adapt if he were to go down though; they’ve got plenty of inside mids who can rotate forward.

The amount of ball Tom Mitchell gets to Hawthorn’s outside runners and link up work is huge.

Big task ahead of Jaegar to step up in his absence, and shocking timing for Hawthorn who would be challenging again for another Top 4 spot, then you never know...

s**t news.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Aside Cripps for us and Fyfe for Freo is there any player as important to a club as Mitchell for Hawthorn?

Big news if he misses the season.
He's pretty much half their team. Not even joking.

Massive loss.

I feel for him, really stepped up in the last couple of years, don't wish things like this on anyone.

Always lot's of talk about his disposal not being damaging... doesn't necessarily need to be because he's arguably the most prolific ball winner we've witnessed, seem to remember CD saying his 'metres gained assist' numbers were off the chain. Tends to use it fairly well himself, although very much on the safe side.

Will be interesting to see how Smith, Jaegar, Wingard, etc are gonna go if they're receiving the ball 50 times less each game. Also how Tom fairs when he returns, the guy works bloody hard and while not fast is constantly moving and putting himself in a position to gather or receive the ball. Dare say his fitness base will be tarnished until 2020.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I feel for him, really stepped up in the last couple of years, don't wish things like this on anyone.

Always lot's of talk about his disposal not being damaging... doesn't necessarily need to be because he's arguably the most prolific ball winner we've witnessed, seem to remember CD saying his 'metres gained assist' numbers were off the chain. Tends to use it fairly well himself, although very much on the safe side.

Will be interesting to see how Smith, Jaegar, Wingard, etc are gonna go if they're receiving the ball 50 times less each game. Also how Tom fairs when he returns, the guy works bloody hard and while not fast is constantly moving and putting himself in a position to gather or receive the ball. Dare say his fitness base will be tarnished until 2020.

Plays to his strengths which is winning the hard-ball and then follow-up work on the outside. Was never brought in for his foot skills, which have definitely improved over time.

That midfield group now looks very thin and pretty unbalanced with O’Meara and an aging Burgoyne their prime movers.

Maybe they roll one or two of their flankers through there?

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
Just like that, the season of one of your elite players is over. A s**t feeling we are all too familiar with.

Yeah not a good feeling, I wonder would the Hawks now be interested in Gibbons as Mitchell moves to long term injury list?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
How is Tom Scully's rehab going? Might be their most important player now if he can get fit.
I'm expecting Wingard to spend most of his time in the middle now rather than alternating as a mid/fwd. Could be Jaegar, Shiels, Wingard and McEvoy starting in the square with support from Burgoyene, Worpel, Smith, Howe, etc. Will be interesting to see who steps up to be #1 ball winner and how that extra responsibility to previously more outside players and distributors impacts their game.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I'm expecting Wingard to spend most of his time in the middle now rather than alternating as a mid/fwd. Could be Jaegar, Shiels, Wingard and McEvoy starting in the square with support from Burgoyene, Worpel, Smith, Howe, etc. Will be interesting to see who steps up to be #1 ball winner and how that extra responsibility to previously more outside players and distributors impacts their game.

Worpel is going to have a lot of centre-square time now. Probably stylistically the closest player to Mitchell on their list.

Smith, Wingard you want playing in outside positions.

Hawthorn were already a little bit light on for depth in their midfield, but now it’s looking paper thin.

Bobmonkey

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Hawthorn were already a little bit light on for depth in their midfield, but now it’s looking paper thin.

Yep, I was already a bit suspect on how the Hawks were going to perform this year because of the aging list, but now that they've lost their best player it's looking like it might be a long year for them. They had an easy draw last year but they don't have that luxury this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back