No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
once more I get dragged into the gaping maw of harker-think and come out dripping wet and disoriented - mind you if you truly believe your opinion doesn't count - why am I having this discourse? out........

Just an observation and happy to be countered. No problem.

I dislike the game of ping-pong the AFL are playing with this. I really dislike it as it's not genuine.

I haven't even watched the past few Grand Finals. As if I even give a *. :) I do dislike us all being treated like sheep and idiots though. Not nice.

Reality is the AFL GF could be played at anytime of day and it would still be a full house due to the spectacle of the game. The change of time is to suit the corporate and entertainment purposes.

Purists will flock to the game because they love it no matter what time it is played. It is no longer the people’s game and hasn’t been for a while. The AFL want to make the GF into a spectacle, unfortunately they don’t realise that it already is.

The AFL will wait for us to make the GF then make it a night one, to hinder our tall timber up forward. Bookmark it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think the pre or half time entertainment would be better at a twilight or night Grand Final tbh. So much tradition is gone from the game that I find myself apathetic about it all tbh.

As long as Carlton makes another one before the end of the century, they could play it at 3 am and I'd be well chuffed :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They don't have sun in the USA?
Higher stands and/or roof over pretty much every stadium used for the big dance. Doesn’t impact the game as much.

The Superbowl starts at 6:30 PM local time........

Seems to go OK.
The SUN man. Half the ground is in sun and half is in darkness.
of course - america does it therefore.............I think some people aren't even aware of what their own sense of autonomy has been degraded to...........
Not really a relevant example as most superbowls are now played in dome stadiums, a far more common trend, where weather plays no part. The last two open air stadiums were 2016 and 2014, where sunsets were 5.40 and 5.15pm. Where twilight simply doesn't extend to 6.30.

Interestingly superbowl 55 will be in tampa, where sunset is later. But still well before 6.30, however could be the closest to a modern superbowl being influenced by the sun.

of course - america does it therefore.............I think some people aren't even aware of what their own sense of autonomy has been degraded to...........
Oh god - THIS.

I wish people would stop using the argument that something is better/more mature/more desirable just because a sports league in the US does it. Or that, if the AFL does not adopt a particular thing that another league does, that somehow it is a 'maturity' thing and people need to 'grow up'. Change is not inherently either bad or good - judge each specific change for what it is for our league/sport, not just so we can imitate another league like mindless sheep.

IMO - I think the lack of independent thought that is so common on these kind of issues (not specifically here, the media is shocking for it too) is the real sign of immaturity and lack of development, not resistance to blindly adopting something just because it is done elsewhere.

Sorry - rant over.

I don't watch the Superbowl so I have no idea what it looks like on tv, but don't they change stadiums every year? If we could just ignore America for half a second and focus on our Grand Final, which is always at the MCG, at twilight in September it is almost always half sun/half darkness.

Oh god - THIS.

I wish people would stop using the argument that something is better/more mature/more desirable just because a sports league in the US does it. Or that, if the AFL does not adopt a particular thing that another league does, that somehow it is a 'maturity' thing and people need to 'grow up'. Change is not inherently either bad or good - judge each specific change for what it is for our league/sport, not just so we can imitate another league like mindless sheep.

IMO - I think the lack of independent thought that is so common on these kind of issues (not specifically here, the media is shocking for it too) is the real sign of immaturity and lack of development, not resistance to blindly adopting something just because it is done elsewhere.

Sorry - rant over.

tenor.gif

Oh god - THIS.

Sorry - rant over.

Well said, very very well said

Nope, they have the Washington Post instead.

They are poorer for not having Slobbo analyse everything from his unique perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back