No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I would be completely unsurprised if coaches and psychologists treating individuals outside the AFL system had wildly different opinions as to what a healthy amount of time fixated on something so all consuming would be; in fact, I'd be astounded if their expectations lined up at all.

And Bolts sounds like an old bloke lamenting how in his day kids went outside to the juice bar instead of the arcade.

Don't want to be confrontational, but I'm led to wonder what you do for a living.

There are plenty of professions where people are "fixated" on immensely demanding work for 70 or more hours a week. Work where the pressure to perform and the consequences of getting it wrong are severe enough to make footy look like a stroll in the park.

I spent the first 20 years of my working life in a job where I worked a minimum of 12 hours daily for 7-10 consecutive days (and more typically the 12 hours ended up being 16+). The consequences of a "clanger" were that people might get maimed or killed.

Professional athletes do work hard. But in the grand scheme of occupational stress they are way, way down the food chain.

TD2010

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't want to be confrontational, but I'm led to wonder what you do for a living.

There are plenty of professions where people are "fixated" on immensely demanding work for 70 or more hours a week. Work where the pressure to perform and the consequences of getting it wrong are severe enough to make footy look like a stroll in the park.

I spent the first 20 years of my working life in a job where I worked a minimum of 12 hours daily for 7-10 consecutive days (and more typically the 12 hours ended up being 16+). The consequences of a "clanger" were that people might get maimed or killed.

Professional athletes do work hard. But in the grand scheme of occupational stress they are way, way down the food chain.
I'm more your way Laphroaig (your choice of wind down drink ? :) re: line of work, but the perfectionism required to be an AFL player would be arduous. Add club land focus, diet, national spot light, social media issues, drugs etc. and it's a unique pressure cocktail.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Without trying to sound like I'm dismissing what you've experienced (and I'm probably going to say this badly) all people can do is live their own lives, and people are absolutely terrible at empathising towards people they feel have it better. Couple that with the human mind's ability to find a level - to become used to their lives, to become dissatisfied with their lot - and what you have is footballers who have every reason to be happy/content being stressed and depressed, and fans who are livid at the idea that footballers could be doing it hard.

If you must know, I've been long time unemployed, as I completed the tail end of my degree. I've worked as labour hire for landscapers, janitors in shopping centres, a hand at a meat processing factory; I'm currently employed, and working 60 hour weeks across two jobs before I do my masters, while in my spare time I coach a cricket team whilst serving on the committee as a junior and girls co-ordinator.

I recognise that the jobs I do do not have people's lives in the balance, but that does not stop aspects of life getting to me. I get panic attacks, when life is overwhelming. But I also recognise that I have not experienced other people's lives, felt their stresses.

I had the pleasure to meet Joel Selwood once before a match, and above and beyond all else to me he seemed tired.

Last edited:

We (myself included) do this all the time Laphroaig ; Our experience is the only experience.
In general we simply adjust (or don't adjust) to what we've either chosen to do, or in some cases what's been forced upon us.

Not taking anything away from your experience, but the fact is that one person trip to the supermarket may be as stressful as another individuals job in dealing with matters of life or death.
People have different thresholds be it pain thresholds or stress thresholds. We just never know what someone else is going through, hence the only measure we have is by our own experiences and by default we judge accordingly.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Coaches are not psychologists, and to be a top level coach is to be exacting, to make demands that are unreasonable and to watch on as their players seek to fulfill them. I would be completely unsurprised if coaches and psychologists treating individuals outside the AFL system had wildly different opinions as to what a healthy amount of time fixated on something so all consuming would be; in fact, I'd be astounded if their expectations lined up at all.

And Bolts sounds like an old bloke lamenting how in his day kids went outside to the juice bar instead of the arcade.

That's how you read it?

Seems to me he's well aware of the short average lifespan of an AFL career, and wants to impress upon his players the importance of being prepared for entering the "real world" when their careers finish. I imagine plenty of young players assume that they'll easily find work in the media or whatever post-retirement. The reality is that most of them end up in a trade, or real estate, or sales, or myriad other "ordinary jobs". Kicking a ball good isn't a particularly strong transferable skill in the employment space, and neither is mashing buttons on an Xbox controller.

Players need downtime, but players also need life skills and professional networks, and perspective. I think a coach who wants his players to grow into mature, responsible, proactive members of society is a wonderful thing, and really should be encouraged at lower levels of sport as well.

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
Have to admit I am still mildly annoyed that Cripps didn't win the Rising Star.

You wouldn't trade Hogan and 2 first round picks for Cripps. Off field issues aside.
I hear ya...but more the fool for the AFL in that regard. Not the first, and won’t be the last time their ‘boys club’ decision bites them in the ass!

Have to admit I am still mildly annoyed that Cripps didn't win the Rising Star.

You wouldn't trade Hogan and 2 first round picks for Cripps. Off field issues aside.

How often does the best career player in the draft win rising star?

Unfortunate Cripps delivered in a year where two players were worthy. It's based on that year and takes no consideration of career projectory.

The big sexy breakout key forward always more likely to win rising star over the midfielder. Similarly, the mid is always likely to win the Brownlow compared to the goal kicking forward.

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
That's how you read it?

Seems to me he's well aware of the short average lifespan of an AFL career, and wants to impress upon his players the importance of being prepared for entering the "real world" when their careers finish. I imagine plenty of young players assume that they'll easily find work in the media or whatever post-retirement. The reality is that most of them end up in a trade, or real estate, or sales, or myriad other "ordinary jobs". Kicking a ball good isn't a particularly strong transferable skill in the employment space, and neither is mashing buttons on an Xbox controller.

Players need downtime, but players also need life skills and professional networks, and perspective. I think a coach who wants his players to grow into mature, responsible, proactive members of society is a wonderful thing, and really should be encouraged at lower levels of sport as well.

It's a problem in all codes in Australia, probably worst of all is Rugby League. Certain venues in Sydney you will find League players at just about any time of the day or night gambling and s**t faced.

When Parkin first came to Carlton was around the time that footy had become a good living without a job on the side. He mandated that every player had to be studying, have a part time job or doing community work.

Footy consumes more time now than it did then, but there is still plenty of idle time for the devil to work with....

Jan 16, 2019
Kgari Coast Qld.
AFL Club
Carlton
That's how you read it?

Don't all ex-players end up working on easy street due to their influential club connections?

Good to see BF back up. Site was feeling like click frenzy at the eve of the season
Issue was incident of détente between Gethelred and Laphroaig - BF's rotating cogwheels not ready for that torque..........kaboom!

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
How often does the best career player in the draft win rising star?

Unfortunate Cripps delivered in a year where two players were worthy. It's based on that year and takes no consideration of career projectory.

The big sexy breakout key forward always more likely to win rising star over the midfielder. Similarly, the mid is always likely to win the Brownlow compared to the goal kicking forward.

So the year Patrick Cripps didn’t win, the anti-Carlton Media, built up the narrative how much harder it was for a young Key Position player to make an impression, and pumped up Jesse Hogan relentlessy to get him over the line.

Next minute the same media built up the opposite narrative about how hard it was for a young midfielder, to get Andrew McGrath the Rising Star Award.

Breathtaking hypocrisy, and nothing more than AFL endorsed media pumping of Essendon after their drug scandals.

So the year Patrick Cripps didn’t win, the anti-Carlton Media, built up the narrative how much harder it was for a young Key Position player to make an impression, and pumped up Jesse Hogan relentlessy to get him over the line.

Next minute the same media built up the opposite narrative about how hard it was for a young midfielder, to get Andrew McGrath the Rising Star Award.

Breathtaking hypocrisy, and nothing more than AFL endorsed media pumping of Essendon after their drug scandals.
To be fair, McGrath didn’t have access to the same supplements as his new team mates, definitely made it harder for him.

Anyone 3lse find it as funny as me that Fev said St Kilda will sack the coach after Rnd 1 of they lose to the GC...

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton

Wait for the next installment: Sam Walsh to have an absolute ball-tearer of a debut season... but no, young key position players will be back in favour and Lukosius will get the nod ahead of Sam (because the AFL want to hype up GC's next marquee player).

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Wait for the next installment: Sam Walsh to have an absolute ball-tearer of a debut season... but no, young key position players will be back in favour and Lukosius will get the nod ahead of Sam (because the AFL want to hype up GC's next marquee player).

Gillon McLachlan, Mark Evans?, Kevin Sheehan, Luke Darcy, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea

Enough said!

Saints have to "rebuild" Hannebery and he won't be playing anytime soon.

They are recruiting guru's.

Hannebery laughing all the way to the bank.
Buyer beware :drunk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back