No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the ladder, I find it odd that Adelaide are 3rd at present - they are no where near the 3rd best team in the comp. Just proves how weird the comp has been results wise thus far.
We are only 8 rounds in. When there are 17 clubs, eight rounds in still means you not even played half the teams in the comp. As a result the ladder order is still a bit skewed in realistic order of merit until we get way closer to most teams having meet once.

We are only 8 rounds in. When there are 17 clubs, eight rounds in still means you not even played half the teams in the comp. As a result the ladder order is still a bit skewed in realistic order of merit until we get way closer to most teams having meet once.
Yeah, please don't get me wrong...I understand all of that. I've started seeing people mouth off (mainly Crows supporters...and a few nuffies in the media) about their position which made me have a closer look at it as I hadn't had a real look for a couple of weeks. I think it just highlights that 'don't take the ladder right now for what it will be'...if you catch my drift.

Yeah, please don't get me wrong...I understand all of that. I've started seeing people mouth off (mainly Crows supporters...and a few nuffies in the media) about their position which made me have a closer look at it as I hadn't had a real look for a couple of weeks. I think it just highlights that 'don't take the ladder right now for what it will be'...if you catch my drift.

Yeah, I don't. I think in about a four or five weeks the ladder will have an order more realistic looking. Crows certainly a middle of road team and will head towards there over time. Similarly when we played the full 17 teams I suspect we will be closer to 13th or 14th.
When the league was 12 or 14 clubs round 8 ladder had a lot more merit to it than round 8 ladder for 18 clubs.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't. I think in about a four or five weeks the ladder will have an order more realistic looking. Crows certainly a middle of road team and will head towards there over time. Similarly when we played the full 17 teams I suspect we will be closer to 13th or 14th.
When they league was 12 or 14 clubs round 8 ladder had a lot more merit to it than round 8 ladder for 17 clubs.

Yep - difference between 3rd and 12th is one game and a bunch of percentage points. Lots still to play out.

Not taking anything away from Adelaide though, they're doing what they do best and staying "thereabouts". As long as you're in the 8 at season's end, you only need to string a few games together to have a shot at the flag. Don't see them going deep into finals, but circumstances change.

Yep - difference between 3rd and 12th is one game and a bunch of percentage points. Lots still to play out.

Not taking anything away from Adelaide though, they're doing what they do best and staying "thereabouts". As long as you're in the 8 at season's end, you only need to string a few games together to have a shot at the flag. Don't see them going deep into finals, but circumstances change.

They won't even make the finals. Winning a few games in a row is easy enough for middle of ladder teams if they happen to get some down teams for a few weeks. They could not have run into Port at a better time than last week. They will probably end up on 11 wins imo and miss by a game or two. 11 wins could be anything from 9th to 12th.

When they league was 12 or 14 clubs round 8 ladder had a lot more merit to it than round 8 ladder for 17 clubs.
Hence why I mentioned in my initial post to give it until the bye to have a fairer understanding of ladder positioning. Mind you it would be more prudent to view it after everyone plays each other once but with the way the afl works with FIXturing its not possible

Hence why I mentioned in my initial post to give it until the bye to have a fairer understanding of ladder positioning. Mind you it would be more prudent to view it after everyone plays each other once but with the way the afl works with FIXturing its not possible

Yes, it would be nicer if we got to round 17 finish and everyone has meet each other once but for some odd reasons sometimes you do not meet some teams until even later.

It was his attitude of we are in Australia, we pronounce it "our way" which was the problem, not so much for how he pronounced in the first place.

the attitude is poor and id think people who say that are knobs, but i wonder if he knew something was up. Im sure he would have spoken with Fantasia in the past to know his name.

We can no longer take our children to the football and feel safe

https://outline.com/NcKPty

"Before quarter-time in this match, our seven-year-old son was in tears and asking to leave as he felt scared by the behaviour surrounding him.
Not a security guard or policeman in sight."

First 3 comments below the article are an interesting cross-section of opinions..........
"there has been a noticeable increase in the aggressive and antagonistic nature of the behaviour."

This comment in the body of the article caught my attention. This unfortunately is not exclusive to football crowds, but society in general. This is the type of behaviour you see at shopping centres, on the roads, directed to those in customer service/retail positions & of course in the political sphere.

In much the same way that the collective of AFL listed players reflects their age group in society, so it can be said for football spectators.

"there has been a noticeable increase in the aggressive and antagonistic nature of the behaviour."

This comment in the body of the article caught my attention. This unfortunately is not exclusive to football crowds, but society in general. This is the type of behaviour you see at shopping centres, on the roads, directed to those in customer service/retail positions & of course in the political sphere.

In much the same way that the collective of AFL listed players reflects their age group in society, so it can be said for football spectators.
Used to be that if a business made a mistake or was unable to help, you would talk to them and come to an agreement about how they would reasonably be able to fix the issue to your mutual satisfaction or you agree to go elsewhere that could help.

Nowadays you simply start an online campaign to shut the place down because the business won’t accede to your petty whim, even when it is not part of their core business and they have no means to make it happen within your unrealistic timeframe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not promising for a team that's already played and lost to the other bottom sides...

Not promising for a team that's already played and lost to the other bottom sides...

We are working our way up from a bunch of players still learning to play with each other. We will improve as season goes on so I see us looking very promising.
Honestly, if you cannot see the promise in our own players you must be blind to it.

We are working our way up from a bunch of players still learning to play with each other. We will improve as season goes on so I see us looking very promising.
Honestly, if you cannot see the promise in our own players you must be blind to it.

Promise aplenty, but the results aren't there and it won't get any easier as young bodies tire. Brisbane in their 'equivalent' 2018 development year had a dream injury run and still only won five games - we shouldn't take anything for granted.

Promise aplenty, but the results aren't there and it won't get any easier as young bodies tire. Brisbane in their 'equivalent' 2018 development year had a dream injury run and still only won five games - we shouldn't take anything for granted.

I agree with the bit, do not take anything for granted. I think our age profile is slightly different to Lions from last year. We got five guys in team from 2015 draft. I do not see those guys dropping off as a group. They will probably gel even more as season goes on. Similarly I think SPS and Fisher will play out season strongly. It is the second and first season guys that may tire a little. Walsh and Dow. But I think there is more youth kicking on from the 3rd and 4th year guys than the few that might tire.

I agree with the bit, do not take anything for granted. I think our age profile is slightly different to Lions from last year. We got five guys in team from 2015 draft. I do not see those guys dropping off as a group. They will probably gel even more as season goes on. Similarly I think SPS and Fisher will play out season strongly. It is the second and first season guys that may tire a little. Walsh and Dow. But I think there is more youth kicking on from the 3rd and 4th year guys than the few that might tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back