No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFP have gone rogue too. No interference or guidance from the department who answers to the Minister. No one knew they were targeting journalists or the National Broadcaster until after it happened.

Bit different to when the press were tipped off about the AFP raid on union offices. Not sure how anyone knew about that if they are so independent.
Actually the ABC knew exactly when the AFP were coming. A time was actually set, which gave the ABC the opportunity to have lawyers present & camera crews filming their arrival. I understand sandwiches & coffee were also laid on.

In contrast supporters of our game have been given no notice by the AFL of the significant change in attitude towards their behaviour at games. I'm glad this didn't happen 20-30 years ago because I would have been evicted most weeks.

Actually the ABC knew exactly when the AFP were coming. A time was actually set, which gave the ABC the opportunity to have lawyers present & camera crews filming their arrival. I understand sandwiches & coffee were also laid on.

In contrast supporters of our game have been given no notice by the AFL of the significant change in attitude towards their behaviour at games. I'm glad this didn't happen 20-30 years ago because I would have been evicted most weeks.
AFL have repeatedly claimed there is no change in policy, not buying it.

Maybe supporters should give notice of a raid at our next training session, the club may put on a feed and some coffee to ward off the cold.

There's an interesting meeting of a whole bunch of ethical/moral issues at the moment and the AFL (and AFLPA) don't seem to be shining through as a beacon in all of this.

This crack-down on barracking seems really very curious to me. Aren't there already mechanisms in place to stamp out anti-social behaviour? It's strange to me that the focus has become the semantics of barracking rather than real issues such as gambling, alchohol, racism etc.

Meanwhile - it occurs to me that this would go extremely well as a campfire ditty with some backing banjo ...

Well you can't handball one-handed, you bald-headed flog
No you can't handball one-handed, you bald-headed flog
You can't handball one-handed
No, you can't handball one-handed
You can't handball one-handed
You. Bald. Headed. Flooooooooog.

I suppose this means that they'll also ban the Barmy Army from all future sporting events in Australia?

heard terry wallet on guessen suggesting richmond are on a mini-tank in order to get as many back after the bye as possible - tipped this might happen today:

Tigers' curse continues as Soldo ruled out

Just our luck - we played them in Round 1 when they were at full strength, and we play them in Round 22 when they're likely to be almost back to full strength. Reckon we'd roll them if we played them right now.

I reckon Ron Evans was a charity induction into the HoF.

The mere mention of 'that name' :rage: around these parts is an automatic RED CARD!

144055f2b486a4e4a17c8cc1683e7a9a3388981a911f240e9c6f58614c63507a.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean...it's a tough angle to take.

"Respect us by giving us the right to disrespect umpires."

Do you have any ground to stand on when you argue that you should be allowed to verbally abuse someone for doing their job?

Given how public this has become, it puts the AFL in a really awkward spot. By ignoring it and doing nothing they tacitly approve the behaviour, which is sure to draw criticism from many. If they take a stand and say any abusive language directed at umpires or players will be punished, then there are going to be people being walked out of stadiums every 2 minutes. They'd also have to put the onus on stadium security to police, as you can't have umpires trying to umpire the crowd as well as the game.

Think the umpires just need to be told to tune out the fans as best they can, and if they hear anything that crosses any major lines (race, gender, orientation, especially fruity language etc.) then they should report it to the security staff at the ground to deal with. Getting called a flog, hack, spud, muppet, idiot, fool, moron, maggot, tool, w***er etc. isn't pleasant, and we shouldn't actively encourage it, but it's a big can of worms to open given how much gets said by thousands of people at any given game. Just not sure how you explain to fans what will and will not be tolerated, because wherever you draw the line there will be people saying it's too much, and people saying it's not enough.

be careful of that language, you might get kicked out!!!!!!!!!!!

ridiculous and I'm with Joffa all the way
I am already careful enough. I was saying that as a joke, of type of thing that could get you pulled up at the ground nowadays, if someone decides they want to be extra sensitive and contact number at ground via text. This person is offending me in Bay.. such and such, Aisle such and such ... etc etc. The security staff employed have got to justify being there doing a job......This is where the real issue started.... Wasted resources on such staff that do more harm to the game going experience, than good. It was better when the presence at ground was more by police, not private bullshit security firms..

Don't mind Joffa. Does a bit of charity work

Respect that.
Joffa has the footy character role down pat.
Its banter, it's fun.
He's a decent human when he isn't playing that role.

I have respect for the man behind the cheers quad character and I love to hate him too.

I have to admit he's done it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back