No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rapt GC have signed Rankine on, he could be a good test case for an argument to increase the minimum amount of years for first contracts out of the draft.

If he stays after the initial 4 years then it’s hard to argue against it.

Honestly think that’s the only way GC will get anywhere

Bite your tongue, as an ex-pat Northern Tasmanian, how dare you suggest Hobart Devils...…. Tassie Devils is more logical and encompasses the entire state. North/South rivalry is undersold by non Tasmanians. Some devoted fans would boycott Hobart in the team name. Unless something has changed, the larger portion of the population still resides in the North.

Seriously though, a dedicated Tassie team would "easily" pull 20,000 per week, as opposed to Suns and GWS crowds.
I’m so keen for there to be a dedicated Tassie team, don’t want 19 teams though. Talent pool becomes even more diluted.

I could get on board the Tassie Devils, they don’t even exist and I like em

I’m so keen for there to be a dedicated Tassie team, don’t want 19 teams though. Talent pool becomes even more diluted.

Have to correct you again mate. Tassie Tigers aka Thylacine, almost certainly (we can live in hope) do not exist any more. While unfortunately dwindling, Tassie Devils certainly do exist.

Bite your tongue, as an ex-pat Northern Tasmanian, how dare you suggest Hobart Devils...…. Tassie Devils is more logical and encompasses the entire state. North/South rivalry is undersold by non Tasmanians. Some devoted fans would boycott Hobart in the team name. Unless something has changed, the larger portion of the population still resides in the North.

Seriously though, a dedicated Tassie team would "easily" pull 20,000 per week, as opposed to Suns and GWS crowds.

It would more than likely improve their own league down there as it would give the juniors a team to barrack for and in hope of playing for.

whilst I like the idea of a Tassie team, the travel costs would need to be factored and they would not have a local derby

Considering the wonderful job the AFL have done with the suns' name and colours, wouldn't be surprised if they called a tassie team The Tassie Apples.

Have to correct you again mate. Tassie Tigers aka Thylacine, almost certainly (we can live in hope) do not exist any more. While unfortunately dwindling, Tassie Devils certainly do exist.
Tassie Devils as in the the AFL footy club yet to be introduced and created mate.

Well aware that tassie Devils still exist 😂

In all seriousness though, who could get behind a Tassie team? I’m all for it.

The Gold Coast will probably be forever propped up by the AFL, they wouldn’t want it to be seen as a failure.

It makes sense to move them to Tassie, but the AFL admitting defeat, nup.

19 teams is too much imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Gold Coast will probably be forever propped up by the AFL, they wouldn’t want it to be seen as a failure.

19 teams is too much imo
I think GC will work eventually..people enjoy going to Metricon..they just have to get a good team together. It’s unfortunate that Karmichael hunt went off the rails. They need to get some good experienced players.

I was discussing it at work the other day. I’d love to play footy up in the Gold Coast, away from the fishbowl in Melbourne. But that’s me.

I wonder why it is so hard for them to retain players.

Culture? Not winning?

I am actually happy that Rankine signed an extension, hope Luko does as well.

I don’t want them to fail it’s just hard to see them attracting mature guns up there to get them being competitive. If they are perennial cellar dwellers what can be done?

GWS seem to be going great guns.

19 teams is too much imo
It might be the best solution, Tony. The Lions supporters vanish when they're not winning games, the Suns are going to take a decade if things go right to reach that level. And even then, they wont be staunch like manic Tasmanians. But how would it take for the AFL admit they got it wrong and rushed into the Queensland experiment? Extra salary cap will be necessary for the Suns success and probably also GWS in the long run.

I was discussing it at work the other day. I’d love to play footy up in the Gold Coast, away from the fishbowl in Melbourne. But that’s me.

I wonder why it is so hard for them to retain players.

Culture? Not winning?

I am actually happy that Rankine signed an extension, hope Luko does as well.

I don’t want them to fail it’s just hard to see them attracting mature guns up there to get them being competitive. If they are perennial cellar dwellers what can be done?

GWS seem to be going great guns.

And just quietly, sit outside and have dinner at the Italian restaurant at the highway end of the mall in Broadbeach on a Friday/Saturday night

Just an absolute procession of glamour

If I was a young footballer, Gold Coast would be an awesome place to play AFL. I don’t get it myself but I reckon the locals are a bit like the New South Welshman, couldn’t care less about being at a game and would prefer to watch it on tv

suns start wasn’t too bad ...there was a real buzz around the place..everyone talking about the suns...took swans a bit of time to get going and a lot of money was spent there.

Plus GC population is around 600k and we have a lot of young people playing in junior teams. So at some stage we will have a fair few home grown players with family ties here.

19 teams is too much imo
Well there's too many teams in SA lets get rid of the Crows. :thumbsu:

I can't believe that the profit-driven AFL couldn't recognize the appeal and potential of the Tassie Devils. They could have had an entire state on board and 100% behind the new AFL team, buying memberships and filling the ground each game. You'd likely have a lot more Vic/SA/WA fans, recognizing a passionate fan base, genuinely keen to see the Devils thrive, rather than the contrived, propped-up, artificially inseminated "expansion" clubs.

Instead, it was more important to pursue the ultimately futile goal of trying to pull a few more NSW/Qld rugby fans away from the sport they grew up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back