No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Ouch, I wouldn't you to be my teacher!

Andrews is definitely in the elite category, probably so is Moore and Finlayson

Agree on Andrews, that one's on me.

Moore is alright in my book, but a lot less influential than I think he's made out to be. Solid player for sure, wouldn't turn him down, but nowhere near the elite category.

Finlayson might get there, but for now he's a third tall forward in a stacked side and no more.

I think "elite" implies you can, to an extent, build a line around the player. Moore and Finlayson feel like add-ons.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings

Smegger

Club Legend
May 19, 2016
place without a postcard
AFL Club
Carlton
A couple of all time greats are giving the game away. Good luck for the future (but I’m glad we won’t have to worry about Big Aaron again).

Roughy's done us some damage over the years too. Always liked him (except game day).

Tushay

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
So a discussion thread on the main board about Gil's bias in relation to GWS and GC was just deleted. Why? Seems a reasonable discussion after his bizarre Cogs intervention. Is there AFL censorship on BF?

SammaGilberto

Premiership Player
May 2, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Actually not the worst case scenario I reckon, gives a chance for players to move one final time before disrupting their team too much had it been a mid season trade period.
Gives players who move clubs more time to get to know their new teammates and structures = more opportunity to make impact for the season ahead.

Wouldn't mind the mid-season draft to continue. It has shown merit for 2019 so far.

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Its a big thing when even the 'yes mens' feathers get ruffled
Even respected Journo Neroli Meadows on Twitter (and Julian DeStoop) agree with Sam Edmund's reaction. Seems everybody agrees - even opposition fans - that Gil is out of line.

I hope there's some ramifications for this (for Gil, not us).

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Even respected Journo Neroli Meadows on Twitter (and Julian DeStoop) agree with Sam Edmund's reaction. Seems everybody agrees - even opposition fans - that Gil is out of line.

I hope there's some ramifications for this (for Gil, not us).

Good. We need the media and industry figures to really shine a spotlight on this issue and there to be a backlash to ensure Gil doesn't 'interfere' with Coniglio and any other player movement.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Tim Watson and Gary Lyon both questioning Gil the Dill's Coniglio comment....

Hopefully this creates enough backlash that the AFL wouldn't dare to intervene any more...

They are spot on with their comments, particularly around suspicion that Gil would essentially entice Coniglio to stay at GWS by giving him more money in his ambassador role or some other AFL role, or for example give GWS' CEO Matthews a call and try to convince him to step in and force his list manager to increase their offer to Coniglio.

Gil is a muppet.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yes, very sad news about the great Graham Farmer.
Legend is a very overused term, but he truly was a legend of Australian Sports.

Such a giant of the game. All my sympathy and healing thoughts to his family and loved ones.

Rest in Peace Polly, we will never forget you.

Burgers45

Witnessed 8 flags
Apr 1, 2011
Mornington Peninsula, Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
News just in the great Polly Farmer has passed away. I never saw him play but my mum and dad still rave on about his exploits for West Perth and East Perth in the WAFL let alone for Geelong back in the VFL.
Yes, I saw him play during the 60's and had many great ruck duels against our own Big John Nicholls. Was a fantastic player, Very good tap ruckman, and pioneer of a lot of long handballs in his game which brought his teammates into the game.. But overall I still believe Big Nick beat Polly more times than Polly did over Nick. Another great ruckman in that era was Len Thompson. All three were good, but Big Nick arguably the best IMO.

515068-4ce7c204-dff9-11e3-9ab7-20f6e47ce045.jpg

I guess there's a shot of jezza or big nick that doesn't have serge hanging about like a lygon street paperboy............somewhere...........

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

I guess there's a shot of jezza or big nick that doesn't have serge hanging about like a lygon street paperboy............somewhere...........

Does footage of Polly handpassing those footies into taxis still exist from World of Sport (IIRC) ? Would love to see it.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Very sad. I was only reading of Bluey Adams a day or so ago. Some Melbourne star from 50's died recently too. Now this giant of game also. All similar age to my Dad and so special when you can talk to these people of this vintage to learn of eras and how life was back in their time which is decades and decades before any of us were around or experienced. Once they are gone, their unique perspective and knowledge they can pass on when you ask is gone. When the people of this vintage are all gone we won't have first hand experiences that we can hear of their lives and sporting experiences, so if you see and know someone in your circle of life and work or social gatherings do not miss the chance to listen to their stories and experiences. They will not be around forever to pass so much wonderful stuff on.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings

It’s a fantastic shot. Two of the best big men competing at the throw in.

I pine for these days when ruck work was a craft. It was a combination of body position and leap and modern interpretations prevent this from happening. The biggest guy wins these days but that was not always the case.

When the VFL was a suburban competition you’d travel everywhere. In my case it was always an early start particularly if it was an away game. Seats on the fence were a premium so you had to get there early to secure one. This meant you got to see a lot of this type of work close up. It’s why I loved footy so much. The skill was there to see.

Polly and Big Nick were princes of the game. I’m ranking them together as they richly deserve equal billing. Big Nick had a bit more mongrel however Polly skills and innovation made him a trendsetter.

RIP Polly. Rest assured you provided enjoyment throughout your career and dazzled a young kid sitting on the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back