No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Seems that some are keen to highlight Frawley's recent struggles and arrive to a definitive conclusion.
Maybe they'll be proved right, but it seems like just a little premature to be lifting that veil just yet.

Anyway, there's no getting away from this sad event as there seems to be a lot of backstories manifesting already.
I do wonder though that if what is already being portrayed right now was to be fact.......How did others not intervene? Support..morally..financially?
Why do we leave things until they're too late, to only them be burdened by guilt thereafter?

OnceWeWereKings

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
He was asked a stupid question about playing on the edge.

He would quite literally win us 3 or 4 extra games a year should he play for us with his ability and mongrel. I also reckon he would be a ripper to play with and would go out of his way to back up his team mates at every opportunity.

Apparently "not being a choir boy" now equals "grub".

He’s a smarmy prick.
Has had issues on & off the field.
Game has been sanitised to the point where a weasel like Greene can get away with his bullshit.
He goes cheap, not hard.
Grub.

Blue Warrior

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
images

Literally started cutting onions when I saw this beautiful photo. 😥😥😥

:'(
I was driving home after work and heard the news cutting onions as well tears streaming down my face. RIP Spud.

Please if anybody feels lost reach out and Talk to someone.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

World could sure use more Dad's and Gent's like Danny Frawley in this world. 100% proud, loving and supportive of his daughters and their achievements.

This news still hurts, and will do so for quite some time.

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Damn this Spud Frawley thing has hit me right in the feels.

Just seems like such a genuine good bloke.

Really feel for his family and his children.

Only a year older than my dad when he passed.

When they first reported this on the radio today they didn't mention any names. Just said there was a single car accident and where it was.

I had a client die in a single car accident not far from there about 6 years ago... suspected suicide... so my brain jumped straight there again for this before they even mentioned names.

We may never know but either way this is a tragic, tragic loss for the football world and just aweful for his family.

RIP Spud. You were one of the good ones.

:'(

djw1952

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2009
mentone
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
liverpool
Seems that some are keen to highlight Frawley's recent struggles and arrive to a definitive conclusion.
Maybe they'll be proved right, but it seems like just a little premature to be lifting that veil just yet.

Anyway, there's no getting away from this sad event as there seems to be a lot of backstories manifesting already.
I do wonder though that if what is already being portrayed right now was to be fact.......How did others not intervene? Support..morally..financially?
Why do we leave things until they're too late, to only them be burdened by guilt thereafter?
Sometimes with depression the loneliest place is when you are surrounded by people trying to do what they feel is best for you...........it is a very personal struggle and leaves you feeling shut off from the world.........my niece lost a baby at 9 months to S.I.D.S. and she never got over it even though she had another child after that. She really tried to be strong in life for herself and her kids, but she eventually hung herself and left 2 little girls behind..........there is no guarantee that anything will help if your mind decides otherwise..........we are all wired differently,and some people cope and others do not, but for me (depression/anxiety) the best support is for people to just "listen" to how I am really feeling inside and accept it, without trying to solve my troubles or pass judgement..........I am lucky that I love so many things about life (including the Carlton footy club) that they keep me positive more of the time than not...........but I still enjoy a good cry every so often...........;)

Was at a training event hosted by one of Danny Frawley’s friends that has worked at a high level at a few clubs.

When he apologised for being a bit off and then advised Spud had died about an hour earlier it took the wind out of the room. Shocking news, condolences to his friends and family.

Bloke doing the presentation was a true professional and kept going, after mentioning what a good bloke Danny was. Spent a bit of time on his phone during the break. Tough night for a few people given how many he knew and influenced over the years.

Wagyu Beef

Debutant
Sep 2, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I suggest you read the whole post, not just the first paragraph.

Okay, let's try again...

Actually managed to watch the majority of the four games over the weekend and honestly I am at a loss with where the competition is going, I am generally an avid sports follower and really really struggle to understand how the AFL can continue without a sendoff rule. I follow football (soccer), NBA and NFL all of which have match day penalties or sendoff rules.

Same direction it always has?

A few examples over the 4 finals that I found really frustrating.

Clash jumpers is beyond childish at this point. You have a club like Juventus who wear black and white stripes but also wear pink and blue as clash strips where required. Juventus generate more revenue than all the AFL clubs combined. The AFL need to grow a set here and say every club needs a minimum of 2 clash strips one predominately white for example (general away game jumper) and one NOT using your traditional colours/design. Time to grow up kids.

Same as it's been for 100 years.

The Nic Nat incident, to me is another example of the AFL basing decisions on the outcome and not the action. Let's just say Nic Nat threw Merrett into the fence and cracked his head open. You would expect a suspension in the range of 6 plus weeks. In the NBA both Merrett for the hair pull and Nic Nat for retaliation would likely have been thrown out of the game. The same issue with the studs up in marking contests, now this is ok but what happens if a defender turns and gets kicked in the face? It isn't the players fault as that is an acceptable action, but you can almost guarantee the AFL in it's wisdom would issue a suspension in that scenario again because of the outcome. I am still seething that Setterfield got two weeks for a tackle you could debate wasn't a sling based on the outcome.

Breathe man, breathe.

The Grimes dive, was disgusting. Again in football (soccer) yep this happens far too often but you can be red/yellow carded for staging. A nominal fine is not enough to stamp this out of the game and it is happening far too often. Same with the Joel Duckwood arm raise to slip the tackle high, he has been doing this for years and nothing is done about it. Players are taking advantage of the rules and the officials and it is a blight on the game.

Players have always taken advantage of the rules, nothing has changed here. Just more cameras.

The Bont treatment was truly sad to see, I want to see the best players play and the treatment he received was well and truly outside the rules. A suspension to Greene after the game means absolutely nothing, the umpires didn't protect the Bont at all on the day (see Patrick Cripps most games) but you can't expect everything to be picked up. With all the cameras and new ARC review system surely this can be relayed to the officials and a warning given. If it continues I would expect the player to be sent off.

Didn't even deserve a suspension. It's a contact support and players can take care of themselves, if not they have 21 teammates that can help too.

Yes this is a bit of a rant but to me the state of the game is really poor at the moment, due to the fact the AFL have really poor governance. I also don't think its the umpires so much as the directions given which seem to change weekly! Just getting really difficult to enjoy a game I love :(

Agree that have poor governance, but nothing you have mentioned is any different from how the game has been for decades.

Wagyu Beef

Debutant
Sep 2, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't agree with all the posters points but the whole "it's been that way for decades" argument is weak.

Just because something "has been that way 100 years " doesn't mean it's correct and shouldn't be changed
Totally agree, I'm not presenting an argument for things to stay the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back