No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears Thou Shalt.

11th Commandment that Moses couldn't be bothered with due to writer's cramp?
He was given the 11th Commandment but ignored it

Apr 24, 2007
at home
AFL Club
Carlton
Read a foxsports article with eddie everywhere saying now is the time to rip some bandaids off. Whilst I think the notion has merit, he offers absolutely zero direction and concrete initiatives. It sounds like he has confused himself.
If it is a great opportunity to remodel the way we football into the future, what are some of your esteemed thoughts on a new model?
Anyone?
My major suggestion, and perhaps this is what eddie was unwilling to say, is we need less teams.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
So NRL, reported to be significantly more fragile from an economic sense than the AFL are maintaining the existing salary cap for 2021.
Significant challenge thrown out to Gil and friends right there.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
No challenge at all. AFL look after this game and reducing salary cap is right move in coming years.
Player salaries will just have to adjust to what game and clubs can afford.

A lot of things AFL do, I do not agree with but my trust in financially keeping things in control I feel is a lot better than NRL clowns up North.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
we do see some very boring games with poor skill levels. how bad was last years GF. the number of talented players are spread too thinly across comp. only solution i can see is to merge 4 vic teams into 2. also move one to tassie.
You cannot base something as drastic as the merger of 4 teams into 2 (which, let's face it, would involve historical teams; Adelaide, Port, Sydney, WC and Freo will be safe, and the AFL aren't going to want to scrap GWS. That leaves GC and three Victorian teams) on how crappy a first time grand finalist who limped into the grand final went.

And if the talent dilution was such an issue, GWS would've won the last three flags. There's more to a game of footy than just talent.

You can directly trace the current trend towards unattractive footy to the interchange restriction rules. Football was at its most attractive this century in 2010/11, when you had 4-6 sides trying to replicate Geelong's corridor footy and burst scoring. The fact that you had clubs trying to play attractive footy and weren't exhausted meant that they actually played, you know, with a bit more daring and weren't Olympic endurance athletes learning the game and were footballers who need a rest every now and then.

Removing the interchange cap would improve the look of the game. It's have a fun side effect of undermining Richmond's game, so there's that.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
The trend towards unattractive negative football was well before that.
I believe firmly it's origins are not too long after the interchange bench grew from 2 to 4 and then when coaches started abusing it for rotations, rather than intended purpose of interchanges it became more and more negative as was easier to sustain regular flooding by having the most fresh 18 players on field at any time. By 2005 and 06 were were already seeing the negative effects as rotations we fully in vogue by then.

May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers

It‘s unrealistic to pay for a service that will not be provided.

I’m happy to lend my money to the club but I expect some ‘interest’ payments in the future.
I think some people had a similar issue with expecting some interest before having their Hawthorn memberships renewed. Among them were Ray Chamberlain, Eleni Glouftsis, Mathew Nicholls, Matt Stevic and Brett Rosebury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back