No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impressions of the new stadium

Carpark: it's a new multi-story carpark that has been built over the past 5 years to service morning commuters on the adjacent train line. Looks brilliant.

But like most infrastructure in this state very little thought or effort went into it's design and who will use it. We now have something like 15% of the state's motorists having access to disability friendly parking. So who in their right mind in the mid to late 2010s through now designs a car park with exactly ZERO disability car parking spaces?

Stadium

Again looks good. The grandstand is comfortable and provides an incredible view of proceedings. However, there is one 4-person elevator going up to the second and third levels of the stand. Only accessible to those that need it but requires a staff member on site to use it as it's keycard accessible only.

Aside from a few small food vans (gelato truck size) behind the grandstand the main food outlets are a third of the stadium away (unless I missed them but was advised where to go for food and that's where they told me).

No disability toilet without leaving the grandstand area entirely.

So my overall thoughts are that if you're able bodied you're going to have an amazing time with great view of the game. If you're disabled or attending with someone that is you're going to struggle with the car park and stadium access.

Remembering that today will arguably be the greatest event that the stadium ever has.

Good to see Vossy.
Just wow. How in this day and age, do they not cater to disability? Hope you got through the day OK mate. Crazy.

Just wow. How in this day and age, do they not cater to disability? Hope you got through the day OK mate. Crazy.

I am good. More sympathy for those on mobilized scooters and wheelchairs. I can still walk (easier with my walker) but understand plenty cannot.

Went to the local Macca's after the game and bumped into a guy who works for the Spinal Outreach Team (SPOT) after I posted this and told him.

He suggested that the parking scenario has to do with the number of disabled spaces at the station itself. I'm somewhat of a local and I didn't know this, it wasn't on the AFL/Lions/Ticketmaster website when booking tickets so I can only imagine what it was like for those coming from outside the area who'd never otherwise venture here.

He also said that the stadium are working with organisations like SPOT but that none of their advice was implemented for the game. He's hopeful it'll be done in time for the next AFLW season.

However, I have to suggest that those anticipating the ground will be the substitute for the GABBA when it's under development and unavailable for the AFL are delusional. It's a nice stadium but not AFL quality.

Carpark: it's a new multi-story carpark that has been built over the past 5 years to service morning commuters on the adjacent train line. Looks brilliant.

But like most infrastructure in this state very little thought or effort went into it's design and who will use it. We now have something like 15% of the state's motorists having access to disability friendly parking. So who in their right mind in the mid to late 2010s through now designs a car park with exactly ZERO disability car parking spaces?

Stadium

Again looks good. The grandstand is comfortable and provides an incredible view of proceedings. However, there is one 4-person elevator going up to the second and third levels of the stand. Only accessible to those that need it but requires a staff member on site to use it as it's keycard accessible only.

Aside from a few small food vans (gelato truck size) behind the grandstand the main food outlets are a third of the stadium away (unless I missed them but was advised where to go for food and that's where they told me).

So my overall thoughts are that if you're able bodied you're going to have an amazing time with great view of the game. If you're disabled or attending with someone that is you're going to struggle with the car park and stadium access.

Remembering that today will arguably be the greatest event that the stadium ever has.

Good to see Vossy.
Cripes, how does that even meet Code?

Cripes, how does that even meet Code?

No idea. Dare I suggest that because there are lifts at each corner of the lot on each level they claim that each park is accessible (i.e. not too far to get in and out of but that's really it).

There's no way someone wheelchair bound could get in and out of every parking space.

Stadium

Good to see Vossy.
That is outrageous! Lift process sounds poorly planned and time consuming. Disabled parking? Surely mandatory?
I hope you'll make a hullaballoo about it Wick.

6:32? Ed, Cotts, Walsh and Charles can all easily beat that, with the first three capable of sub-6

If Collingwood think that’s a fitness standard to be proud of, then I’m looking forward to next year.

Seriously, they’ve dropped this deliberately today…get it in from the shadows and anyone remotely interested is only thinking about the draft.

You can set your clock to these campaigners.

On a more positive note, I like it and NFI why they didn’t keep it this way before

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seriously, they’ve dropped this deliberately today…get it in from the shadows and anyone remotely interested is only thinking about the draft.

You can set your clock to these campaigners.

On a more positive note, I like it and NFI why they didn’t keep it this way before

So what's the likely impact of this?

Pick 2 genuine ruckmen, and assuming no injuries, sub one out for more run around three quarter time (like used to happen when we had the tactical sub). Any other likely scenarios?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Suns just had Bill Knowles across from the U.S for 2 weeks for their 3 players with A.C.Ls. Must have cost them a mint but I always enjoy reading his thoughts on rehab. Maybe we can utilize him in the future, worked for Doc.

The Suns just had Bill Knowles across from the U.S for 2 weeks for their 3 players with A.C.Ls. Must have cost them a mint but I always enjoy reading his thoughts on rehab. Maybe we can utilize him in the future, worked for Doc.

He hasn‘t been involved with David Cuningham‘s rehabilitation has he.

Lot of blah blah, says our list has improved for 2023….not sure how that works with draftees that aren’t Walsh or Daicos but we have brought in Acres.

Says we have one list spot still available, so who’s training with us over the preseason?

Blues to play Crows at Adelaide Oval on the Thursday night, to kick off Magic Round. As per Adelaide ch 7 report.
That's actually not ideal for those that are going over. To me it would make more sense for the Crows to play a lower-drawing club, as they'd fill the stadium anyway. From a Carlton perspective it's now a genuine away game, whereas most games will be neutral.

Makes it much tougher for Carlton fans to get access. Have they said how the ticketing arrangements will work given it is free entry for club members? Luckily I have booked accommodation from the Wednesday night, but will be spewing if I can't get in to our game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back