No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, shut up or you may make me ....you know.....:'(

Yesterday Kreuzer took up all our 'sook' stakes and today Gibbs made some of us at least, remind us of who he was to us.
I know....just stupid football, right? Funny that one of my fondest memories of Gibbs was of him throwing up int he background of an interview after a win.
Sometimes. it's the little things that leave the biggest and longest lasting impressions.
Was one of his best games, against the Cats if I remember correctly. Would have been the best player in the game if he bought that every week.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Weird cos goes against his ethics as he expresses them...the worth in sticking with and building a team so it means something.
The pure joy he expresses when we win
The obvious love and closeness of tje team for each other
So
If there is anything in it, for mine, it would have to be because it is best for his partner.
I completely agree.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
And if that’s the case then we can hardly begrudge it
Isn't his partner from Vic?

While I am sympatheic I'm not sure I completely share your sentiments.

Would be pissed to lose him, so integral to what we've built and continue to build.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
Isn't his partner from Vic?

While I am sympatheic I'm not sure I completely share your sentiments.

Would be pissed to lose him, so integral to what we've built and continue to build.

Family is bigger than football. I’m not sure which state she is from, but if it’s WA and they have to move back for her mental health then I can’t get angry over it. I’d be sad to see him go but wouldn’t criticise his choice.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Bit hard to crucify an ineffective coach now he has finally made a tough call, but reckon it starts at the top.

Didn't mind him as a player, as a coach he has them playing a boring style of footy that is wasting the talent at his disposal.
The mystery being, they have been an exciting team to watch historically (recently at least) which got them to a granny.

Then they signed him up again.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Stood down by the Swans ...

“As a result of the serious nature of these charges, coupled with Elijah’s failure to abide by club directives on a number of occasions this year, we have made the decision to stand him down from all club commitments immediately. We will review this position as the situation unfolds.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Ramblings from Trumpkin aside, this has to be the worst/most annoying tweet of 2020 so far (and there has been doozies)

I think it was Malthouse or another grizzled old coach who said a few years ago that media personalities/journalists have an over-inflated ego/think they are as important to the game as the players and coaches.

Was spot on (and I tend not to listen to what most of what Mad Mick says these days)

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Port delists 4 players ...

The Power confirmed on Thursday that Joe Atley, Wylie Buzza, Tobin Cox and Riley Grundy wouldn't be offered contracts for 2021.

Martin Frederick and Jake Patmore have also been informed they won't be considered for AFL selection for the rest of the season and will await their fate away from the club.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
Just on news Sean Smith wins $1.4M concussion related compo.

This is just the first of many I would think.

Anyone heard whether the Frawleys are taking legal action as well?

JoeyPBLUES

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Just on news Sean Smith wins $1.4M concussion related compo.

This is just the first of many I would think.

Anyone heard whether the Frawleys are taking legal action as well?

My understanding was Smith’s compo was paid out by an insurer. He had taken out a policy 25 years ago apparently. Wasn’t from the AFL or anything like that. So don’t know if Frawley’s family could claim anything a year after his death given they’ve likely already been paid out on his life insurance if he had any

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
My understanding was Smith’s compo was paid out by an insurer. He had taken out a policy 25 years ago apparently. Wasn’t from the AFL or anything like that. So don’t know if Frawley’s family could claim anything a year after his death given they’ve likely already been paid out on his life insurance if he had any
Correct, he took it out post football. Total and Permanent Disablement insurance (TPD) which basically means you are signed off by 2 doctors that you are never working again.

Most people have this type of insurance via their Super fund.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
Correct, he took it out post football. Total and Permanent Disablement insurance (TPD) which basically means you are signed off by 2 doctors that you are never working again.

Most people have this type of insurance via their Super fund.

Another article by Age today here suggests that footballers are now unable to access those sorts of insurance and in future their only mechanism of redress would be through a class action.

In my view the AFL needs to get on the front foot and create some sort of pooled compensation fund.

I think we'll also end up with 21 day exclusion periods for players who are concussed.

Not sure how they are going to manage the sub-concussive impacts of the game.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

That is a truly, truly mental amount of players they've just told won't be required. Daw could be interesting, so could Ahern.

There's a hard rebuild, then there's that. They're committing to the same thing we did, down to absolutely wrecking the list in the short term, albeit without Malthouse doing it in the interests of 'improvement'.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Another article by Age today here suggests that footballers are now unable to access those sorts of insurance and in future their only mechanism of redress would be through a class action.

In my view the AFL needs to get on the front foot and create some sort of pooled compensation fund.

I think we'll also end up with 21 day exclusion periods for players who are concussed.

Not sure how they are going to manage the sub-concussive impacts of the game.
Its a interesting one. Are the players considered employees or contractors?

What does the AFL Super fund provide in regards to insurance.

A player could potentially take out a TPD insurance policy on a individual basis but would need to keep the policy going post football and until they are the stage they can no longer work and put a claim in. Usually the catch is they can no longer work in any role before a payout is made, previously it was that they could no longer work in a role they are 'qualified for'. So a surgeon for example, if he damaged his hand that he could no longer work as a surgeon but could then now work as a GP.

Its a difficult one and insurance companies are getting smashed by mental health claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back