No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to find the right penalty, especially with accidental acts.

Like you, punish the act rather than the outcome, but perhaps the penalty should be as long as the medical enforced period for the concussed player.

It may stop the in season infractions and I would double the penalty for finals and perhaps not being able to replace the suspended player.

I doubt any coach would want to play a man down for the rest of the finals
The issue there is if it's something like a tackle that ended up with a head clash or a little shoulder-head as the ball carrier dropped slightly or something like that, but the tackled player is Liam Picken, Paddy, McCartin or Jack Frost? Do we rub someone out for a half a season or more because the player tackled was one of the unlucky ones seemingly predispositioned to encounter significant concussion affects?

There needs to be a distinction between foul play and accidental contact and I'm a strong believer in penalising the action, not the outcome. If you bump and hit high with a bit of a raised elbow but the other player luckily is fine, you shouldn't get away with a relative slap on the wrist (a fine or 1 week)

On the other hand if you're got genuinely accidental contact that occurred while competing for the ball that results in a player being knocked out and misses a month or so, I'm not sure that deserves to be taken to the cleaners over.

I really dislike that the match review committee seem to put so much weight into the outcome, in reality it should have very little if any impact on the MRC's findings and decision. The 'dog act' might get let off while the accident gets 4 weeks. It's a joke.

Suggested some time back that the team that is disadvantaged by losing a player to an injury for a reportable act should be able to force the player committing the act to serve their suspension in subsequent games against that same team.

For instance if Hodge got 4 games for smashing Wingards head into the point post, Port could elect for Hodge to miss the next 4 games he plays against their club so that they get the advantage of his suspension, not the 4 clubs playing the Hawks next. Port was disadvantaged by the injury to Wingard, it is reasonable that they get to choose where the advantage of Hodge not playing goes.

If the suspended player changes clubs, the penalty goes with them, just like it does now.

What if there is a bye weekend where we don’t play for 12 or more days?
Yeah, that "miss at least one match" would be referring to 'normal' H&A circumstances, not the mid season or pre-finals byes or the teams thet get the week off in finals.

Not sure why they had to add the reference to matches, surely most could understand the concept of 12+ days?

Suggested some time back that the team that is disadvantaged by losing a player to an injury for a reportable act should be able to force the player committing the act to serve their suspension in subsequent games against that same team.

For instance if Hodge got 4 games for smashing Wingards head into the point post, Port could elect for Hodge to miss the next 4 games he plays against their club so that they get the advantage of his suspension, not the 4 clubs playing the Hawks next. Port was disadvantaged by the injury to Wingard, it is reasonable that they get to choose where the advantage of Hodge not playing goes.

If the suspended player changes clubs, the penalty goes with them, just like it does now.
If I'm honest, I'd go both: 4 weeks off consecutively following the offense, then the next 4 games against Port off as well.

If it damages the head and is a truly deliberate act - none of this reckless/negligent grading, you can determine whether adequate care has been taken to avoid the head or not - then the punishment should be extreme long term.

I know it’s a different sport and with a lot higher likelihood of concussion, but UFC just suspended Conor McGregor for 6 months, after his loss on the weekend due to concussion.

Missing one game although a good start, seems like a low base to start from.
A sport where the intention is to make your opponent have a concussion vs a sport that has concussion as an unintentional outcome.....

A sport where the intention is to make your opponent have a concussion vs a sport that has concussion as an unintentional outcome.....

A sport which knows the risks of former participants coming at them with lawsuits vs one that thinks it’s not an issue.

The sport is irrelevant, not to sure what your comment is implying.

A sport which knows the risks of former participants coming at them with lawsuits vs one that thinks it’s not an issue.

The sport is irrelevant, not to sure what your comment is implying.
My point is its chalk and cheese. There is no incentive in AFL to make your opponent unconcious whereas in UFC, its a primary aim. They need to be more cautious as a direct result of that fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it’s a different sport and with a lot higher likelihood of concussion, but UFC just suspended Conor McGregor for 6 months, after his loss on the weekend due to concussion.
You are wrong. He is not suspended from competing for 6 months for concussion. It is because of the injury to his leg.
He has right tibia/fibula injury, landing a 180-day medical suspension as a result. However, like a few other medical suspensions, McGregor could make a return soon if he gets his injuries cleared by a doctor. Basically a x-ray showing his leg looking fine in a couple of months means he is clear to fight then.

You are wrong. He is not suspended from competing for 6 months for concussion. It is because of the injury to his leg.
He has right tibia/fibula injury, landing a 180-day medical suspension as a result. However, like a few other medical suspensions, McGregor could make a return soon if he gets his injuries cleared by a doctor. Basically a x-ray showing his leg looking fine in a couple of months means he is clear to fight then.

cheers for clearing that up, I just did some reading and it says, he’s banned from contact (assuming training) for 30 days. is that the case?

My point is its chalk and cheese. There is no incentive in AFL to make your opponent unconcious whereas in UFC, its a primary aim. They need to be more cautious as a direct result of that fact.

I never meant to talk about either sports likelihood of concussion, or what either sports tries to do, just the reaction to a participant getting a concussion.
it turns out I was mistaken in my comments regarding a 6 month suspension, on closer reading, it looks more like 30 days, I’m quite happy with the new 12 day rule or whatever it is by the AFL, IMO it will only grow longer from here, unless rules are changed.

No it isn't.
Ok. I get that because they are two different issues. Pies have also acted appallingly. My take on it is because Tracey is so attuned to racial discrimination but so blind to the ways in which she discriminates herself. This makes me really really annoyed. Not that the Pies should not cop everything they get from the media and their own supporters fighting for change.
Tracey never could admit anything was wrong at her own club but is so quick to jump in and judge another club. Not that she is wrong this time.
But hypocrite. And Glass houses...as far as being honest about corruption at a club.
Anyway. That is my view on it. (Obviously. :p )

cheers for clearing that up, I just did some reading and it says, he’s banned from contact (assuming training) for 30 days. is that the case?
That sounds correct. It is not like he would plan to have a fight any months soon anyway. In general they have about 3 fights a year.
He wants to fight Pourier again so I would not be surprised if they fought again around May assuming his leg fully heals.
I think his leg was pretty ****ed though. The other guy kicked the s**t out of his calf.

It should send every club into a frenzy to make sure that their club is more action than words.
There would be elements of it at every club, ours included. It becomes so normalised it's like trying to lift ingrained stains out of an old rug. If only it was as simple as throwing the rug out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back