No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
absolutely! As a proud Tasmanian, I was disgusted when we rolled out the carpet for North. A leech of a club which has never done anything for the locales in which it has played. It’s done the same with Tassie... taking draft prospects when available, pretending it’s women’s team was a JV with the state and then backtracking its initial decision to call the side the Tassie Kangaroos, and making it clear it has no prospect of relocation. Hawthorn has equally benefitted over two decades, and done very little to advance footy in Tasmania.

As usual, the AFL has wanted its cake (Tasmania giving assistance to two clubs) while eating it too (refusing to countenance a Tasmanian stand-alone side).

A great decision by the Government to basically call this out. Let’s see whether they stick by their guns though.

...and given Gutwin is a monty for the next election its the perfect time to make a stand and cut funds.

absolutely! As a proud Tasmanian, I was disgusted when we rolled out the carpet for North. A leech of a club which has never done anything for the locales in which it has played. It’s done the same with Tassie... taking draft prospects when available, pretending it’s women’s team was a JV with the state and then backtracking its initial decision to call the side the Tassie Kangaroos, and making it clear it has no prospect of relocation. Hawthorn has equally benefitted over two decades, and done very little to advance footy in Tasmania.

As usual, the AFL has wanted its cake (Tasmania giving assistance to two clubs) while eating it too (refusing to countenance a Tasmanian stand-alone side).

A great decision by the Government to basically call this out. Let’s see whether they stick by their guns though.
Couldn’t agree more!

Tassie should have its own team many years ago.

Just get it done, ffs
Unfortunately there is not enough talent or capacity to cater for a 19th team. Should have put the 17th or 18th licence in a heartland spot, Tassie. Buckets thrown at Fold Coast and GWS Minions that could have been targeted at Tassie along with the purse strings of the state government. Don’t know what the answer is now: too many teams in Melbourne, no relocation to Tassie, blood sucker clubs to the north. Bloody mess.

Unfortunately there is not enough talent or capacity to cater for a 19th team. Should have put the 17th or 18th licence in a heartland spot, Tassie. Buckets thrown at Fold Coast and GWS Minions that could have been targeted at Tassie along with the purse strings of the state government. Don’t know what the answer is now: too many teams in Melbourne, no relocation to Tassie, blood sucker clubs to the north. Bloody mess.

the AFL should use Covid as an opportunity to restructure by pushing for relocation of one Melbourne-based team, or merger of two Melbourne-based teams. They won’t of course, which is I think what you’re hinting at in your post. And I agree 19 teams is too many.

the AFL should use Covid as an opportunity to restructure by pushing for relocation of one Melbourne-based team, or merger of two Melbourne-based teams. They won’t of course, which is I think what you’re hinting at in your post. And I agree 19 teams is too many.
Wonder how keen you'd be on that idea if Carlton were in the gun for merging or relocating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder how keen you'd be on that idea if Carlton were in the gun for merging or relocating.
Send Richmond to create the Tassie Tigers.

Simple

Nothing against the romantic notion but I can't see a team in tassie working ever.
You can't envisage a team in Tassie requiring less AFL financial support than a few in Melbourne?

At the end of the day, the number of teams in Melbourne is clearly too many for the market to support. If it wasn't, then AFL financial support wouldn't be necessary.

And yes, a relocation sucks for the supporters of the team, but it sucks a lot less than folding.

I reckon if given a choice between Carlton being based in Tassie and playing 4 - 6 games in Melbourne each year versus no Carlton at all, most of us would prefer the Tassie move.

Nothing against the romantic notion but I can't see a team in tassie working ever.
Well respectfully the detailed business case put forward disputes your ‘ever working’ view.

For one Tassie is a heartland football state: there is more passion for footy in Tassie than the Gold Coast and GWS combined. Crowd attendance would easily stand up

Locals and ex-pats would also sign up as members in droves.

Facilities/infrastructure are already AFL standard.

A Tasmanian based team would hardly be short of sponsorship dollars either.

Forty years ago some people said that Tasmania should ‘never’ have a team in Sheffield Shield cricket. That was a flawed argument then...and so is this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back