No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What rules have magically produced the rebirth of the full forward, big scores and whopping margins? The new stand rule and capped interchanges? Amazing if so.

Whatever it is that's caused it, I know that I'm loving watching the footy again.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
What rules have magically produced the rebirth of the full forward, big scores and whopping margins? The new stand rule and capped interchanges? Amazing if so.
The stand rule kind of means that when you have the ball in that situation, it's 18 vs 17; person on the mark can't do jack squat to you. That's pretty significant. Or, you retreat 5m - let's call it 10, because you don't want to concede 50m, play on the safe side - you allow the team with the ball to just run 15 then kick 50+; for a sport that's increasingly about metres gained and field position, that's worth an incredible amount. And the interchange thing is contributing, if only at the tail end of games.

I kind of want to see if the aggressive footy lasts, if the coaches adapt better and shut games down more as the season progresses. At the very least, I want a bigger sample size than just the first 24 games.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Sydney's selections over the last few years, particularly in the later stages of the drafts has been magnificent. It's a big shame we can't develop kids into hidden gems. This is who we have taken in the last couple years...

2016, Pick 47 - Harrison Macreadie
2016, Pick 59 - Cam Polson
2016, Pick 65 - Pat Kerr
2017, Pick 70 - Angus Schumacher
2018, Pick 66 - Finbar O'Dwyer

(I do still believe though that the AFL Academy system is unfair and somewhat corrupt)

I think REM had a song about it.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Breaking news that Dylan Shiel will miss at least 4 months.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I do still believe though that the AFL Academy system is unfair and somewhat corrupt)[/SIZE
I really don't. In general, Sydney uses their academy to get kids who wouldn't be otherwise playing footy. They run clinics in schools, pick up elite athletes or kids with elite attributes, and they put them in an academy as a substitute for growing up in - say - Victoria, immersed in and surrounded by a football society. To call Victoria a theocracy with Aussie Rules as the religion of choice is only just an exaggeration.

If you ever want to achieve the situation in QLD that AFL has their own level of support that can ensure the survival of the clubs up there without a COLA, you need the academies to do their work. It's got a passive level of support over the course of 20+ years in Sydney; a similar level and type of support that you see from Melbourne supporters, people who will pay attention when things are good. Give it another 20, and who knows?

If you agree with the notion that the AFL should be a national competition, then the academies are an understandable level of draft interference.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
[/QUOTE]
Never want to see any player out injured for that long. Injuries suck.

Spot on. Been a brutal weekend for season ending injuries, with Witts, Gresham and Shiel (all quality players) all suffering long term injuries.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Spot on. Been a brutal weekend for season ending injuries, with Witts, Gresham and Shiel (all quality players) all suffering long term injuries.

Stephen Coniglio too. Confirmed to be out for the next 8-10 weeks and possibly longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
I really don't. In general, Sydney uses their academy to get kids who wouldn't be otherwise playing footy. They run clinics in schools, pick up elite athletes or kids with elite attributes, and they put them in an academy as a substitute for growing up in - say - Victoria, immersed in and surrounded by a football society. To call Victoria a theocracy with Aussie Rules as the religion of choice is only just an exaggeration.

If you ever want to achieve the situation in QLD that AFL has their own level of support that can ensure the survival of the clubs up there without a COLA, you need the academies to do their work. It's got a passive level of support over the course of 20+ years in Sydney; a similar level and type of support that you see from Melbourne supporters, people who will pay attention when things are good. Give it another 20, and who knows?

If you agree with the notion that the AFL should be a national competition, then the academies are an understandable level of draft interference.

Agree, but the 20% discount is a rort. First dibs absolutely they should get

I’d be happy for F&S to be exactly the same

Queensland and NSW the only places allowed to have “Academies”, NGA is just a ridiculous replacement for old school zones that we’ve somehow managed to get a “zone” as fruitful as Melbourne and St.Kildas in the past

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Breaking news that Dylan Shiel will miss at least 4 months.
Means * will kick more goals because there'll be fewer turnovers.

CarltonBlooz

Team Captain
Mar 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Means * will kick more goals because there'll be fewer turnovers.

We certainly dodged a bullet there, thank the football gods that didn't work out.

Carlton2.jpg

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Queensland and NSW the only places allowed to have “Academies”, NGA is just a ridiculous replacement for old school zones that we’ve somehow managed to get a “zone” as fruitful as Melbourne and St.Kildas in the past

Hmmm...

I suppose I agree a bit, but you do need for there to be incentive for clubs to open academies. Say, Carlton started actively started going to South Africa and started developing from 9-10 years old; that's a rather hefty expenditure for a tiny return once in a blue moon.

Sydney's academy is only considered a rort because a) they've been up there for a long time now, and people are impatient; ie, 'why isn't Sydney AFL heartland already?', and b) because they've had a run of exceptional luck in the last 10 years, picking up 2 top 5 picks from their academy alongside the role players they usually get from it as well.

Instead of trying to beat them down to our level - something which is simply not going to happen, the AFL has a vested interest in keeping Sydney decent - why don't we join them and use the system to our advantage?

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Well we can see why the AFL has brought in the medical SUB after the rule changes they've implemented, they seem to be causing more injuries with the quicker game.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

agree wholeheartedly

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
Hmmm...

I suppose I agree a bit, but you do need for there to be incentive for clubs to open academies. Say, Carlton started actively started going to South Africa and started developing from 9-10 years old; that's a rather hefty expenditure for a tiny return once in a blue moon.

Sydney's academy is only considered a rort because a) they've been up there for a long time now, and people are impatient; ie, 'why isn't Sydney AFL heartland already?', and b) because they've had a run of exceptional luck in the last 10 years, picking up 2 top 5 picks from their academy alongside the role players they usually get from it as well.

Instead of trying to beat them down to our level - something which is simply not going to happen, the AFL has a vested interest in keeping Sydney decent - why don't we join them and use the system to our advantage?

It’s actually a bigger advantage than 20%, when you’re able to cobble together multiple later picks to pick up a genuine junior gun the advantage is just too big.
I get the system is imperfect with points attached to picks but I can’t see how that system can be better, it’s actually well thought out but pretty easy to scam.

Everyone pays full quid in the knowledge the system is not perfect and can be gamed to get an advantage, not 20% discount then an additional advantage on top

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
People would be a lot more understanding of the Sydney and Brisbane academies were it not for other clubs having 'academy' access to established AFL areas. The GWS Riverina zone may have been pared back, but the Victorian NGAs and the GCS NT zone are a transparent farce.

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

Absolutely 100%. Victorians who have only lived in Victoria have no understanding that AFL receives bugger all attention Interstate.
There are some remarkable kids in the Northern States and they should be allowed to be developed and recruited by these States. The AFL has ignored Victorian junior footy, and they now need to start developing this again and get more presence in the schools.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s actually a bigger advantage than 20%, when you’re able to cobble together multiple later picks to pick up a genuine junior gun the advantage is just too big.
I get the system is imperfect with points attached to picks but I can’t see how that system can be better, it’s actually well thought out but pretty easy to scam.

Everyone pays full quid in the knowledge the system is not perfect and can be gamed to get an advantage, not 20% discount then an additional advantage on top

Random idea for tweaking it further.

Matching a bid uses the clubs next available pick in the same draft, with any points deficit then coming off the clubs future picks (beginning with their pick in the round the selection takes place).

For example:

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
Current rules: bid on at Pick 1, discounted to 2400pts, WB match using 29, 33, 41, 42, 52 and 54 (2489pts).
Alternate rule: bid on at Pick 1, discounted to 2400pts, WB match using 29 (653pts) and carry a deficit of 1747pts into the first round of 2021.

Reef McInnes
Current rules: bid on at Pick 23, discounted to 618pts, Collingwood match using 41 and 42 (807pts).
Alternate rule: bid on at Pick 23, discounted to 618pts, Collingwood match using 41 (412pts) and carry a deficit of 206pts into the first round of 2021.

Basically, the closer in value to the bid your next pick is, the less the cost for the following season. Rewards clubs for smart positioning or live trading to match bids, disincentivises stockpiling of late picks to match early bids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back