No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
The only agreement was they could wear it during heritage round...but that is now defunct...no other option was agreed or discussed.... very literal or arbitrary....but, in lawyer terms ..dem the facts!
i would hate to think if they were the PA navy blues in SANFL..we would be happy with em wearing that our jumper.

There's already an SANFL team with navy blue - South Adelaide

MightyBlue

Team Captain
Mar 11, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
I was a Sturt (double blues) supporter in the SANFL well before I was a Carlton supporter, and with it came an ingrained hatred for the Port Adelaide football club. As much as it pains me to say, I actually agree with Kane on this one. The prison bars has been part of a heritage that extends over 100 years; this is regardless of their mascot changing from the magpies to the power and the addition of teal since joining the AFL. Collingwood have no right to dictate to another club or try to rewrite their history. The historical agreement in place is petty and took advantage of a new club that would've agreed to anything in order to be part of the national competition.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
I was not aware the epidurals were part of the scope of practice to enable AFL players to get through games. That's concerning and needs to be audited, particularly requiring them on an almost weekly basis, masking a debilitating/worsening injury.

For reference, as I'm sure most here would be aware of, that's the same modality of regional anaesthesia offered to women in labour.

Would have liked a sports medicine rotation at some stage during my formative training, a genuine insight into how the industry operates.
I'm very late to the conversation here, but I'm really interested in this. I had an epidural during my labour with my second baby and could feel some pain and sensation still but I was restricted to the bed and couldn't move my legs properly. I'm guessing there must be different levels or doses? What do you think the footballer would be able to feel considering they can still run and jump?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Damn, has Frank Costa really gone. We lost a good egg there in footy community if true.
I thought his health was ok for someone in his 80's. Whatever it was that got him, must have happened quick.

Cats bleating about umpires. Didn't hear a lot for the no free throw against Brisbane.

It's only a bad decision when you're losing and it's paid against you.

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't normally watch it so perhaps it's not new, but watching the Access All Areas on the AFL website and they pass to Nathan Brown who had done some 'interesting research'.

Took me a second to realise he was analysing why a bet on our game for total points was a smart move.

Promoted video on the AFL site and they pushing the 'easy money' line. FMD.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

images

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
This current debate about game length = more injuries bewilders me a bit.

Carlton on Saturday combined between the seniors and reserves probably had the highest aggregate of game length in the history of the sport.

Reserves 1st q went for 41 minutes, second quarter went for well over 35 minutes as examples and then in the seniors the second quarter went for 37 minutes and the whole game for a total of 137 minutes.

I note Fagans comments on this issue, what I don’t get is that yes the game as a whole went for a bloody long time however to me the game is still 80 minutes long and in this case there was 57 minutes where the players are not exerting themselves.

Is it really an issue? Is it just another complete overreaction?
I sense quite strongly it’s a massive overreaction and quite simply a sly underhanded way of coaches getting a bit more control back over the game.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Coaches trying to manipulate the rules again. I wish the AFL would get rid of this ridiculous goal review. It wastes time, proves nothing 90% of the time and is just an excuse for a goal umpire to try and get their heads on the TV.

Oct 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Coaches trying to manipulate the rules again. I wish the AFL would get rid of this ridiculous goal review. It wastes time, proves nothing 90% of the time and is just an excuse for a goal umpire to try and get their heads on the TV.

you could add that it takes away from celebrations in the stands and on the ground too, so it also stalls momentum.

Anyway, I agree fully with all you’ve written. My view is that we have it as a safety culture risk mitigation measure against an umpire being on the take. Another downside of close relations between the AFL and gambling companies.

If there is one small positive, it is that (as you say) 90% of the goals stand. I don’t have stats for football (soccer) but it feels like a whole lot more goals are overruled on very minor technical matters.

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
you could add that it takes away from celebrations in the stands and on the ground too, so it also stalls momentum.

Anyway, I agree fully with all you’ve written. My view is that we have it as a safety culture risk mitigation measure against an umpire being on the take. Another downside of close relations between the AFL and gambling companies.

If there is one small positive, it is that (as you say) 90% of the goals stand. I don’t have stats for football (soccer) but it feels like a whole lot more goals are overruled on very minor technical matters.
It was interesting that after the clanger the umpires made in the Sydney match on Saturday night, on Sunday the umpires were manic about calling not 15 and play on. Anybody who tries to tell me that there is no agenda in deciding the rule of the week by the AFL umpiring fraternity is kidding themselves. Come finals, all of these rules will get thrown out and it will go back to normal where they pay no free kicks and just let the game roll on.

SammaGilberto

Premiership Player
May 2, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

get excited folks

THURSDAY night team announcements are set for a return.

It's understood club chiefs discussed the likely move in a League-wide briefing on Tuesday, with clubs now awaiting a final confirmation from the AFL.

In a poll conducted by the League's official Twitter account on Monday, more than 94 per cent of the 13,313 votes conducted suggested fans were in favour of the old model.

No clear timeline is in place for the return of the Thursday team announcements, however, an announcement is expected in coming weeks.

blueycarlton

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2008
carnegie
AFL Club
Carlton
I was a Sturt (double blues) supporter in the SANFL well before I was a Carlton supporter, and with it came an ingrained hatred for the Port Adelaide football club. As much as it pains me to say, I actually agree with Kane on this one. The prison bars has been part of a heritage that extends over 100 years; this is regardless of their mascot changing from the magpies to the power and the addition of teal since joining the AFL. Collingwood have no right to dictate to another club or try to rewrite their history. The historical agreement in place is petty and took advantage of a new club that would've agreed to anything in order to be part of the national competition.
They wore black and white long after Collingwood wore it in 1892.
So why don't they wear their original colours from 1877 or whenever they were formed? That's their real heritage..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back