No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Only just found out Scot Palmer passed away.

Was a massive icon in the football press and media, esp for me growing up in the 80s.

A life well lived.

Keep on punching in that media box in the Sky Scottie

images

Collingwood have started a new era by naming Scott Pendlebury captain.

adam scott laughing GIF by Fox TV

Collingwood have started a new era by naming Scott Pendlebury captain.

adam scott laughing GIF by Fox TV

Who else are they going to name as captain?

If it were still the Eddie McGuire Magpies they'd have awarded it to DeGoey.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Without thinking about it too much, right now at Carlton, which player would you rather have, The Bont or Petracca ?

I am taking The Trac myself, his home ans away season last season flies under the radar a bit (probably overshadowed by Oliver a bit) but his finals series was extraordinary and extremely fun to watch.

How the hell did silly St Kilda pass on him for McMartin? Everyone at the time said it was stupid by the Aints, and now Petracca has premiership and norm Smith medals (with more honors to come I am sure)

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Without thinking about it too much, right now at Carlton, which player would you rather have, The Bont or Petracca ?

I am taking The Trac myself, his home ans away season last season flies under the radar a bit (probably overshadowed by Oliver a bit) but his finals series was extraordinary and extremely fun to watch.

How the hell did silly St Kilda pass on him for McMartin? Everyone at the time said it was stupid by the Aints, and now Petracca has premiership and norm Smith medals (with more honors to come I am sure)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it does have its flaws - I had always underrated Petracca - as I recall he took Plowman apart in a pre-season game at Casey Fields a few years ago.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Right now, give me Moore, Andrews or Balta
Strangely, I have no fears for our key defensive stocks. We absolutely “need” the tall, athletic type who can compete with the “new breed” of key forward, that being the 200cm athletes, Ben King is a GF sprint winner who can hold a mark. Weitering is a brilliant defender who has the strength to tame the Hawkins type gorillas, but does not have the athleticism to run with the quicker big boys.

With the likes of Marchbank, Kemp and possibly McGovern to play 3rd tall interceptor, we are well covered there. Our obvious candidates are Young and McDonald who is under rated here. OMac will never be a star, but is an excellent stopper. I have high hopes for Young, but some fears he is more interceptor than one on one defender. Time will tell.

I have flagged it earlier, but I truly believe TDK has all of the tools to be a great key defender. He is great at getting hands in the pill in making contests, but as yet has held a small percentage of marks. The ability to spoil, follow up at ground level stand him in great stead, his athletic profile sees him capable of running with the faster talls. He also has a great profile as a ruckman and that may well be his spot. Pittonet is combative and his best is still coming, Mirkov is potentially the key to the whole shooting match. Height and athleticism, already shown cameos of his ability to tap to advantage if he can build the necessary tank and strength to compete at the top level, TDK could be redeployed if we find ourselves short a quality key defender.

Hopefully Young and/or OMac can be better than adequate, but we do have options if we are prepared to think outside the box.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Strangely, I have no fears for our key defensive stocks. We absolutely “need” the tall, athletic type who can compete with the “new breed” of key forward, that being the 200cm athletes, Ben King is a GF sprint winner who can hold a mark. Weitering is a brilliant defender who has the strength to tame the Hawkins type gorillas, but does not have the athleticism to run with the quicker big boys.

With the likes of Marchbank, Kemp and possibly McGovern to play 3rd tall interceptor, we are well covered there. Our obvious candidates are Young and McDonald who is under rated here. OMac will never be a star, but is an excellent stopper. I have high hopes for Young, but some fears he is more interceptor than one on one defender. Time will tell.

I have flagged it earlier, but I truly believe TDK has all of the tools to be a great key defender. He is great at getting hands in the pill in making contests, but as yet has held a small percentage of marks. The ability to spoil, follow up at ground level stand him in great stead, his athletic profile sees him capable of running with the faster talls. He also has a great profile as a ruckman and that may well be his spot. Pittonet is combative and his best is still coming, Mirkov is potentially the key to the whole shooting match. Height and athleticism, already shown cameos of his ability to tap to advantage if he can build the necessary tank and strength to compete at the top level, TDK could be redeployed if we find ourselves short a quality key defender.

Hopefully Young and/or OMac can be better than adequate, but we do have options if we are prepared to think outside the box.

Th main issue is, if Weitering goes down. Young and OMac as our 2 KPD's is a real concern. It may not stop us breaking into finals like * with the likes of Stewart & Laverde, but no side is a contender with these types

happy for us to start writing our own rules, longthinwoodenmissile........

Thylacine demonstrating a proficiency to write adult fiction.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Right now, give me Moore, Andrews or Balta

Andrews annoys me for some reason,

Richmond won a couple more flags after Rance went down/retired due to a serious knee injury.

If (hypothetically speaking), Dusty went down and missed the 2019 and 20 seasons and finals and Rance was still healthy and playing would The Tigers still have saluted those seasons ?

I'll let the jury here decide.

Blue Flame

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2012
UK
AFL Club
Carlton
Andrews annoys me for some reason,

Richmond won a couple more flags after Rance went down/retired due to a serious knee injury.

If (hypothetically speaking), Dusty went down and missed the 2019 and 20 seasons and finals and Rance was still healthy and playing would The Tigers still have saluted those seasons ?

I'll let the jury here decide.
The jury will decide when we’ve heard, ya know, your testimony?

Clocks ticking…

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

I've wanted Petracca since he was drafted, but I'd take Bontempelli every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Petracca was exceptional last year, and very good the year before it. Bontempelli's been exceptional since 2016, with only occasional dips into very good.
Think that's a mite unfair. It wasn't a reach at the time (McCartin was due to go inside the first 5 anyway, and they needed a KPF to succeed Riewoldt) and his career stalled due to concussion.

The Aints at the time had a bit of a bob both ways; they wanted to try and reset the list to 'go again' while they had Montagna and Riewoldt and a few others from the Lyon era, but they wanted to get in enough youth to rebuild in case they failed. McCartin had torn the TAC apart (due in no small part to how much bigger and stronger he was) and they had every reason to think he'd be successful at AFL level almost immediately, given he would not be taking the first defender and he was ostensibly man-sized already.

There was - IIRC - also an injury cloud over Petracca at the time, and they didn't have the time to wait for him to recover and come good. Petracca's been a bit of a slow burn, and there are no guarantees in footy that he'd have had the same year last year in St Kilda colours.

At least Jones had the decency to retire and not put the club through this.

It may have come too late list management wise but at least the club had the off season to work it out and not put the club in limbo like Jackass or CEYa

A whole lot of words to say exactly nothing.

As I posted on Reddit.

Brisbane followed protocol mandated by the AFL with a player who didn't mean much to them (CEY).

West Coast have done the right thing by their player and have granted him maximum opportunity to pull his head in and get jabbed. Still hold out hope. But are holding firm to the procedure implemented by the AFL.

This message from Darling screams self entitled dumbass who believes that things will ultimately return to "normal" and he'll be able to return midyear without being vaxxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back