No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #10 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this was particularly well done at all.

I cannot think of a single reason why any rational person would have volunteered to do that interview.

Bad decisions clearly run in the family.

I was being facet....faci.....you know :)
Just all seems to be bundled up a little too nicely for me.

I know, I know.....don't get personal.....but gee he was quick to deflect other personal matters to Tania.
Who cares about James's personal life but you want to talk, you will be asked questions. Get used to it.
Can't just pick and choose what you want to talk about, in order to bolster your argument, Alan. You know....the truth and all.

and you know what? All Hird jnr has to do is tell the truth and he would be forgiven/understood.
Even a version of the truth which has some reasonableness to it.

And in true Hirdite fashion....everyone else is at fault.

James Hird never stood a chance, considering who he is...

Hird was an Essendon great. Premierships, Brownlow medal, captain, champion player, many argued one of the best the game has seen (not me, but many). He retired a legend, a "Godlike" figure amongst the Essendon faithful....

Outside football, from all reports, he's hugely successful as a businessman and professional...

A few years later, he returns as coach, to save the club from their despair. I'm sure everyone remembers the excitement, the hysteria surrounding his return. Especially when they started winning a few on the trot... He's responsible for luring another favourite son back to the club (Bomber Thompson). Essendon are a power again and it's all thanks to Hird...

Throw in, beautiful wife, great kids, perfect home, and you have a man with the Midas touch. An individual who always "wins", an individual who doesn't know the meaning of "failure" in any aspect of his life. Revered, loved, idolised, a hero. Invincible...

Then the s**t hits the fan. Football wise and personally. No way in the world is Hird, or anyone in his position, going to tarnish his absolutely perfect reputation and standing. He can't. There's too much to lose. He works all his life to establish himself as this "Devine being", untouchable, all knowing, all conquering. He's not letting this undo his life's work. He's not letting this become his legacy. He's not putting a black mark on his spotless and perfect record. So he adopts the "deny, deny, deny" approach. No matter what the consequences or who falls by the wayside. He then, in his mind, had no option but to follow this through, no matter what...

Call it self inflicted, or whatever you like, but once he made this choice, it was bound to take a heavy toll. He was doomed from the start, purely because of who he is...

Last edited:

Hird was an Essendon great. Premierships, Brownlow medal, captain, champion player, many argued one of the best the game has seen (not me, but many). He retired a legend, a "Godlike" figure amongst the Essendon faithful....

Outside football, from all reports, he's hugely successful as a businessman and professional...

A few years later, he returns as coach, to save the club from their despair. I'm sure everyone remembers the excitement, the hysteria surrounding his return. Especially when they started winning a few on the trot... He's responsible for luring another favourite son back to the club (Bomber Thompson). Essendon are a power again and it's all thanks to Hird...

Throw in, beautiful wife, great kids, perfect home, and you have a man with the Midas touch. An individual who always "wins", an individual who doesn't know the meaning of "failure" in any aspect of his life. Revered, loved, idolised, a hero. Invincible...

Then the s**t hits the fan. Football wise and personally. No way in the world is Hird, or anyone in his position, going to tarnish his absolutely perfect reputation and standing. He can't. There's too much to lose. He works all his life to establish himself as this "Devine being", untouchable, all knowing, all conquering. He's not letting this undo his life's work. He's not letting this become his legacy. He's not putting a black mark on his spotless and perfect record. So he adopts the "deny, deny, deny" approach. No matter what the consequences or who falls by the wayside. He then, in his mind, had no option but to follow this through, no matter what...

Call it self inflicted, or whatever you like, but once he made this choice, it was bound to take a heavy toll. He was doomed from the start, purely because of what he is...
not bad

Call it self inflicted, or whatever you like, but once he made this choice, it was bound to take a heavy toll. He was doomed from the start, purely because of who he is...

And that may well be close to the mark, but to deny the damage his actions had caused the EFC goes beyond just losing a little bit of face.

Listen well to the Alan Hird interview and you may start feeling that the Hird name is just a little more important than other names or others' health.

narcissism
ˈnɑːsɪsɪz(ə)m,nɑːˈsɪsɪz(ə)m/
noun
noun: narcissism
  1. excessive interest in or admiration of oneself and one's physical appearance.
    • Psychology
      extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.
    • Psychoanalysis
      self-centredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.

100% spot on coach. It was NEVER going to go down any other way than what you said. No way was he falling on a sword for any one.

And that may well be close to the mark, but to deny the damage his actions had caused the EFC goes beyond just losing a little bit of face.

Listen well to the Alan Hird interview and you may start feeling that the Hird name is just a little more important than other names or others' health.
That's the point Harks. He committed to this approach. And the casualties and any collateral damage was not going to sway him...

That's the point Harks. He committed to this approach. And the casualties and any collateral damage was not going to sway him...

But do have a close listen to the Alan Hird interview and tell me what key points stuck out to you.

It doesn't mean that my or your reading into it will be right, but some points he raised are just a little too hard to ignore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But do have a close listen to the Alan Hird interview and tell me what key points stuck out to you.

It doesn't mean that my or your reading into it will be right, but some points he raised are just a little too hard to ignore.
Ok...

To be honest, Harks, I didn't hear much that surprised me. Other than the fact that his son was hospitalised days ago and he still hasn't been to see him. But did find time for a radio interview....

A father backing his son under any circumstances and giving unconditional support is fairly natural. But the way he went about it, was a little far fetched to be taken seriously.

Outside of that, it was more of the same from the Hird camp. "Not my fault, it was EVERYONE else..."

I go back to my original point. Before this saga unfolded, the Hird name was gold, there's no way they're allowing this to change that.

And if that means discrediting, degrading, smearing, slurring, vilifying or even ruining others in the process, then that's a small price to pay to maintain their status....

Aaaah.
Football-topic...........that certainly narrows it down.
Something, Michael Chamberlain, Uluru, Andy McLeod, torpedo punt, MCG, footy.
Is that right??

This may seem odd to you but the names Essendon, the AFL, Fitzpatrick, Demetriou, James Hird, Gil MacLachlan were mentioned.
Can't see what your point is other than you don't seem to want us discussing what's currently in the news regarding AFL matters.

That's OK though. I'll probably get my post deleted again with advice such as "off-topic" or the new one "crap" and you can get back to discussing George Harrison, Peanuts, Cheese, Meat pies and the real stuff. :)

narcissism
ˈnɑːsɪsɪz(ə)m,nɑːˈsɪsɪz(ə)m/
noun
noun: narcissism
  1. excessive interest in or admiration of oneself and one's physical appearance.
    • Psychology
      extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.
    • Psychoanalysis
      self-centredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.

nailed it!

This may seem odd to you but the names Essendon, the AFL, Fitzpatrick, Demetriou, James Hird, Gil MacLachlan were mentioned.
Can't see what your point is other than you don't seem to want us discussing what's currently in the news regarding AFL matters.

That's OK though. I'll probably get my post deleted again with advice such as "off-topic" or the new one "crap" and you can get back to discussing George Harrison, Peanuts, Cheese, Meat pies and the real stuff. :)

Someone piss in your cornflake Harks?

Ok...

To be honest, Harks, I didn't hear much that surprised me. Other than the fact that his son was hospitalised days ago and he still hasn't been to see him. But did find time for a radio interview....

really? that blows me away!! if it were my son i would stop everything...including sleep and watching the blues play, to be by his side!!! i woulkd also travel the globe to get to him so distance or cost to support my son isnt an issue...for me.
that alone infuriates me and makes me even more bemused by the family and situation.

'Off topic crap' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back